foil on bottom of oven?

Old 22-11-2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default foil on bottom of oven?

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
easier?

Old 22-11-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
easier?

Why wouldn't it be safe? Instead of foil, which is rather flimsy, I buy
disposable "oven liners" that are made of similar stuff like the
disposable baking and roasting tins one can buy at a lot of stores.
These oven liners are flat with a little bit of a built-in rim. They
usually come in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

Sky
Old 22-11-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"skyhooks" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean
up
easier?

Why wouldn't it be safe? Instead of foil, which is rather flimsy, I buy
disposable "oven liners" that are made of similar stuff like the
disposable baking and roasting tins one can buy at a lot of stores.
These oven liners are flat with a little bit of a built-in rim. They
usually come in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

Sky

I couldn't think of any reason, but before I go ruin something I figured I
would ask. I just finished a lengthy cleaning session that I don't feel
like doing again :-) I'll keep an eye out for the liners.

Old 22-11-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:12:06 GMT, "Peter" wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
easier?

Do you plan on the mess being only on the bottom? Usually, if it's on
the bottom - it's on the sides too.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 22-11-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 22 Nov 2006 09:24:18a, Peter meant to say...

"skyhooks" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make
clean up easier?

Why wouldn't it be safe? Instead of foil, which is rather flimsy, I
buy disposable "oven liners" that are made of similar stuff like the
disposable baking and roasting tins one can buy at a lot of stores.
These oven liners are flat with a little bit of a built-in rim. They
usually come in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

Sky

I couldn't think of any reason, but before I go ruin something I figured
I would ask. I just finished a lengthy cleaning session that I don't
feel like doing again :-) I'll keep an eye out for the liners.

Whatever you put down there, make sure that it doesn't actually touch the
electric heating element.

Even with a self-cleaning oven, I use a disposable oven liner on the
bottom. It's helpful if you have an accidental spillover.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 22-11-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
easier?

Why wouldn't it be safe?

I have a faint recollection of my Maytag booklet advising against
using foil.
Yep... just checked the manual ..... do not use oven liners of
any type. It does say that you can use a little bit of foil to
catch drips but also says that they can reflect too much heat,
can cause problems with heat circulation can can cause damage to
burners and seals.

Instead of foil, which is rather flimsy, I buy
disposable "oven liners" that are made of similar stuff like the
disposable baking and roasting tins one can buy at a lot of stores.
These oven liners are flat with a little bit of a built-in rim. They
usually come in a pack of two and are inexpensive.

If you must use them, why should it matter if the foil is flimsy.
It just sits there on the bottom of the oven, which will easily
support it. Then you just slip it out and fold it up when it is
finished.

I don't use anything on the bottom because the oven instructions
say not to. When I bake a pie I slip a sheet of foil onto the
shelf below the one the pie is on.

Old 22-11-2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
skyhooks wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up. I live in an apartment, and therefor do not have
the manual for my GE oven. I think I'll give it a go anyways, see how it
works out.

Old 22-11-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:
Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
easier?

I recommend a cookie sheet on the bottom rack instead. A cookie sheet
with a rim into which you've put a little water is best of all.
--Lia

Old 23-11-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article qF_8h.23880$C94.16298@edtnps82, "Peter"
wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make clean up
easier?

That's what I do. It makes clean up easier. I have always had a layer of
foil on the bottom of my oven. Just make sure the foil doesn't cover any
vents or heating ducts.
Old 23-11-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 03:00:00p, ~xy~ meant to say...

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make
clean up easier?

That's what I do. It makes clean up easier. I have always had a layer
of foil on the bottom of my oven. Just make sure the foil doesn't cover
any vents or heating ducts.

The reflective heat will cause your elements to self-destruct
prematurely if it is an electric oven.

I rather doubt that. I've kept either foil or a foil liner pan in every
electric oven I've ever owned and no element ever self-destructed. One range
was over 15 years old and stlil going strong when we moved.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Old 23-11-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Suppose you had a well designed table top elect oven and
a hole in the side to introduce some steam .

The steam would heat a large turkey in 1/10 the time ,
then turn off steam and allow normal oven , hot air
to finish .
A turkey in a preheated oven will still be at 200F for
1/2 hour !
But the steam will bring the temp to 250 F in 5 minutes .
Steam transfers heat instantly and at a min of 210 F ,
means that no matter how much heat that 12 lb turkey absorbs
it will be at 210 F at the skin . So interior is really hot
in minutes .

Air at 450F in oven will allow skin of turkey to
remain at 200 F for an hour or more .
Do you like boiled turkey ?!!

Deep fry is the most conrol and the best taste .
It is controled so well , one can do it by
eye ball , perfect every time .

Foil shades food from bottom heater .
You must have something , or you could get a surprize
"broil " from the bottom !

Maltose is pancake syrup , they dont want us to know
it costs $.50/lb ! remember Malted milk ?

Old 23-11-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 04:00:39p, ~xy~ meant to say...

The reflective heat will cause your elements to self-destruct
prematurely if it is an electric oven.

I rather doubt that. I've kept either foil or a foil liner pan in every
electric oven I've ever owned and no element ever self-destructed. One
range was over 15 years old and stlil going strong when we moved.

What I was told by the service person who replaced the last element for
me...

He may have told you that because some people will have the foil in contact
with the heating element. That would be a problem.

I dunno nothing....

You know what he told you. I'd have probably quoted the same thing if I'd
been told that and had not experienced otherwise.

Cheers!

Old 24-11-2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:28:51 GMT, "Peter" wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
skyhooks wrote:

Is it safe to put aluminium foil on the bottom of the oven to make
clean up
easier?

Thanks for the heads up. I live in an apartment, and therefor do not have
the manual for my GE oven. I think I'll give it a go anyways, see how it
works out.

Why the hell did you bother to ask?

There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning