Egg in hamburger patty?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Egg in hamburger patty?

I was shocked at what I saw last night. I was watching Gordon Ramsay's
Kitchen Nightmares and he concocted a new burger for a restaurant that
contained egg yolks, mustard, onion, Worcestershire (sp?) sauce and maybe a
few other things. I certainly hope they declared on the menu that it was a
secret recipe or some such thing. A plain hamburger patty has been my
restaurant staple since being diagnosed with the food allergies.

Has anyone heard of putting egg in there before? I've heard of onions and
even cheese, but not the other stuff. The only thing I personally have put
in a burger is an ice cube in the center. I read to do this when I was a
child and I used to make them that way. I'm sure these days there is some
sort of food safety thing that prevents one from doing it. And I'm not sure
it really made them any juicier. These days if I do cook a patty at home
(maybe twice a year), I buy the pre-made frozen ones.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I was shocked at what I saw last night. I was watching Gordon Ramsay's
Kitchen Nightmares and he concocted a new burger for a restaurant that
contained egg yolks, mustard, onion, Worcestershire (sp?) sauce and maybe a
few other things.

The standard recipe for meatloaf I learned from my mother was those
ingredients plus tomato sauce and some dry oatmeal.

I certainly hope they declared on the menu that it was a
secret recipe or some such thing. A plain hamburger patty has been my
restaurant staple since being diagnosed with the food allergies.

Has anyone heard of putting egg in there before? I've heard of onions and
even cheese, but not the other stuff. The only thing I personally have put
in a burger is an ice cube in the center. I read to do this when I was a
child and I used to make them that way. I'm sure these days there is some
sort of food safety thing that prevents one from doing it. And I'm not sure
it really made them any juicier. These days if I do cook a patty at home
(maybe twice a year), I buy the pre-made frozen ones.

I've made "burgers" like that, but they were more like mini-meatloaves
than hamburgers.

PP
Old 11-12-2008, 07:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Julie, my family has always put egg into a certain kind of hamburger patty.
They are like mini-meat loaves.

Here's the recipe.

1 lb hamburger meat
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped raw onion
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup milk
1tbsp fresh chopped parsley (if you have it on hand)

Mix it all well together with your hands, make it into patties and fry till
well done.

That said, I think that if you order a hamburger in a restaurant it has to
be all meat unless they specify it is some special recipe or something.
What you should ALWAYS do is ask for a burger that contains no other
additives to be sure they don't give you something you are allergic to.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:19:26 -0500, "Evelyn"
wrote:

That said, I think that if you order a hamburger in a restaurant it has to
be all meat unless they specify it is some special recipe or something.

In the UK, unless you're eating at a fast-food restaurant, you can
pretty well assume it's got something other than meat in it; too
boring otherwise.

If you get too creative, you need egg or similar binder in to hold it
all together...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I have always used egg as a binder in meatballs and meat loaf, not
hamburgers though. I seriously doubt that most restaurants would put egg in
a burger patty.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:52:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

[...]

An egg is a standard part of my wife's meatball mix which we
cook in several ways including as patties.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (The Diabetes Diet Wars)
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

I buy the pre-made frozen ones.

PS Read the ingredients list on the pack in your freezer.
You may get a surprise.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:
I buy the pre-made frozen ones.

PS Read the ingredients list on the pack in your freezer.
You may get a surprise.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com(The Diabetes Diet Wars)http://loraltravel.blogspot.com(Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...)

I am surprised you would even say that to me! As a person with food
allergies, I have to read EVERY label, every time before I buy
something, let alone eat it. The only additive I have EVER seen in a
frozen hamburger patty is soybean oil, or perhaps some sort of fancy
cheese. Costco sells some cheese filled burgers. Not sure if they
are fresh or frozen. Since I can't have cheese, they were of no
interest to me.
Old 13-12-2008, 05:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

i have always put egg(s) into the mince to make hamburger patties

never done it any other way

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Old 13-12-2008, 05:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:
I buy the pre-made frozen ones.

PS Read the ingredients list on the pack in your freezer.
You may get a surprise.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com(The Diabetes Diet Wars)http://loraltravel.blogspot.com(Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...)

I am surprised you would even say that to me! As a person with food
allergies, I have to read EVERY label, every time before I buy
something, let alone eat it. The only additive I have EVER seen in a
frozen hamburger patty is soybean oil, or perhaps some sort of fancy
cheese. Costco sells some cheese filled burgers. Not sure if they
are fresh or frozen. Since I can't have cheese, they were of no
interest to me.

Julie, it was a reasonable suggestion

many 'patties' vary in content from each other

good luck on your hamburger adventure