Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Egg in hamburger patty?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I was shocked at what I saw last night. I was watching Gordon Ramsay's
>Kitchen Nightmares and he concocted a new burger for a restaurant that
>contained egg yolks, mustard, onion, Worcestershire (sp?) sauce and maybe a
>few other things. I certainly hope they declared on the menu that it was a
>secret recipe or some such thing. A plain hamburger patty has been my
>restaurant staple since being diagnosed with the food allergies.
>
> Has anyone heard of putting egg in there before? I've heard of onions and
> even cheese, but not the other stuff. The only thing I personally have
> put in a burger is an ice cube in the center. I read to do this when I
> was a child and I used to make them that way. I'm sure these days there
> is some sort of food safety thing that prevents one from doing it. And
> I'm not sure it really made them any juicier. These days if I do cook a
> patty at home (maybe twice a year), I buy the pre-made frozen ones.

Julie, my family has always put egg into a certain kind of hamburger patty.
They are like mini-meat loaves.

Here's the recipe.

1 lb hamburger meat
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped raw onion
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup milk
1tbsp fresh chopped parsley (if you have it on hand)

Mix it all well together with your hands, make it into patties and fry till
well done.

That said, I think that if you order a hamburger in a restaurant it has to
be all meat unless they specify it is some special recipe or something.
What you should ALWAYS do is ask for a burger that contains no other
additives to be sure they don't give you something you are allergic to.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world