Annoying Beep on Cusinart DCC-1200

Old 05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Juan Valdez
Usenet poster

Default Annoying Beep on Cusinart DCC-1200

Does anyone know how to turn off the "coffee done" beeper function?

Old 05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Leith B
Usenet poster

I bought two of these for the office and they're driving everyone crazy
with the beeping. No ideas other than to clip the speaker wires if you
can into the electronics.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Wooly
Usenet poster

http://www.cuisinart.com/cgi-bin/ind...em_id=DCC-1200

Maybe the product documentation will tell you how to disable the beep,
maybe customer service can tell you how to do it.

On 5 Oct 2005 13:11:56 -0700, "Juan Valdez"
spewed forth :

Does anyone know how to turn off the "coffee done" beeper function?

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old 06-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Skookum
Usenet poster

I wish I did. I get up at 4:30 a.m. every morning, 2 hours before the
rest of the household. I make a pot on my Cuisinart and stand guard as
it sputters the last water into the filter, flicking the machine off
seconds ahead of the shrill beep sequence. My microwave does this too.
Ah, for the 50s!

Old 06-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Lavarock
Usenet poster

Skookum wrote:
I wish I did. I get up at 4:30 a.m. every morning, 2 hours before the
rest of the household. I make a pot on my Cuisinart and stand guard as
it sputters the last water into the filter, flicking the machine off
seconds ahead of the shrill beep sequence. My microwave does this too.
Ah, for the 50s!

You seem to be skirting the issue. You have several alternatives rather
than disconnecting the beeper.

1) You could get a job which starts two hours later, thus causing the
beep to occur as everyone else is getting up

2) You could decide to only make 1/2 a pot, thus causing the beeper to
only beep for half as... wait, no, that won't work, never mind! Perhaps
making the coffee only half as strong?

3) Just as wine lovers have a wine cellar, you could create a coffee
preparation room which is heavily reinforced with soundproofing. This
room could also be far enough from the rest of the family so that you
don't have to share any of the extra special coffees your brew

4) As smokers used to have a smoking jacket, you could create a coffee
cover, this cover could be of sufficient deading material that it could
cover the machine during its last hurrah of brew time

5) With a tip of the hat to the late Don Adams, two words, "Cone Of
Silence"! (would you believe 3?)

--

Aloha from Captain Cook, Hawaii
http://ItsKona.Com
Old 06-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Arthur Shapiro
Usenet poster

In article .com, "Juan Valdez" wrote:
Does anyone know how to turn off the "coffee done" beeper function?

I strongly suspect you'll have to physically remove the beeper - do you have
modest soldering skills?

I had to do the same thing on a UPS (battery backup power supply) for my
office computer, where power fluctuations in the building would regularly
cause it to start beeping, driving everyone crazy near my office. A couple
minutes with a soldering iron, and out it came. I have it in front of me as I
type: a little cylinder maybe a third of an inch in diameter and a half inch
high. Amazing that such a tiny gismo can make such an irritating and
obnoxious sound.

Anyway, it's just a matter of unsoldering it and removing it; it plays no part
in the essential timing circuitry of your coffee maker. I suppose a wad of
BlueTak or the like on the tiny opening in the beeper would mute it
drastically, as an alternative to unsoldering. This assumes it's easy to get
the shell of the coffee maker off to expose the guts - sometimes a big
assumption with consumer electronics!

Art
Old 06-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Ellen
Usenet poster

"Skookum" wrote in message
ups.com...
I wish I did. I get up at 4:30 a.m. every morning, 2 hours before the
rest of the household. I make a pot on my Cuisinart and stand guard as
it sputters the last water into the filter, flicking the machine off
seconds ahead of the shrill beep sequence. My microwave does this too.
Ah, for the 50s!

They must have "improved" the beeper -- I have a similar module that is a
couple of years old and it beeps so softly that you can be standing about 5
feet away and not hear it :-)

They probably got a lot of complaints saying the beep wasn't loud enough!

Ellen