Default Q:Sam's Double Walled Insulated LP Gas Smoker

I am fairly new to using smokers, and I have used the Char-Broil
Bullet type Charcoal water smoker that I picked up at a garage sale
for cheap (anybody interested?) and loved the results, but hated how
difficult it was to regulate the heat

I read the BBQ FAQ and it didn't discuss the gas smokers much, as well
as if there was a disadvantage to using a water tray.

I ran across a Members Mark smoker at Sam's Club, and I think it is
manufactured by Grand Hall. I snatched it up and since at Sam's Club
if you don't buy it when you see it, you'll never see it there again.
I haven't opened it up yet since I wanted to do a little more research
on it (see description below). This is not a grill, but truly a
smoker which is new in 2005. It was about $600, so it wasn't exactly
cheap, but it was all stainless steel, and seemed very beefy (250
lbs.), with a lifetime burner warranty. I do want a lazy-q since I
don't want to mess with the constant babysitting of a log burning or
charcoal fire.

Has anybody else had experience with this smoker?

Should I spend my money on a better solution, or does this seem like a
decent deal?

Double Walled Insulated LP Gas Smoker
-------------------------------------
Stainless Steel Double walled Insulated LP gas Smoker This insulated
gas smoker features variable heat settings; gas valve grease and water
tray porcelain coated for easy clean up.

Features
--------
- Professional styling 304 stainless steel with double wall insulated
construction
- 12,000 BTU Stainless Steel Burner
- Double Wall Insulated Body
- Two stainless steel smoker drawers
- Porcelain coated adjustable cooking racks
- Electronic push button ignition
- Variable heat setting gas valve grease/water tray porcelain coated
for easy clean up
Minor assembly required

Please post responses to the group since I don't want any more spam in
my inbox by posting my email address.
Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

I'm interested to know if you started using your Smoker yet. I've seen this unit at Sam's Club, Double Walled Insulated LP Gas Smoker and I'm intersted in purchasing it. My other option is to pay a little less and purchase the Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain 36" Stainless Steel Smoker at Costco for $199. However the Smoker at Sam's did seem very sturdy compared to all of the other gas smokers that I've seen and touched. Did you pull it out and use it? What did you smoke? Did you have to use a lot of wood chunks? Did you get a good constant heat without much variation in temperature? Thanks

Zagat names In-N-Out Double-Double best burger in L.A. Do you agree? Travis McGee General Cooking 57 25-09-2014 06:56 PM
Snit gets WALLED IN by Wally! Rhino Plastee General Cooking 1 02-01-2009 08:30 AM
Insulated Ice Tray [email protected] General Cooking 3 01-09-2005 04:12 AM
Double smoker? Steve Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:33 AM
Double Barrel Smoker Don Jough Barbecue 2 13-02-2004 01:00 AM