Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default "Faux" BBQ Pork Ribs with Memphis style dry rub (pressure cooker & broiler)

I needed to make some pork ribs relatively quickly last weekend for a
tailgating event, so I decided to use my pressure cooker and the oven
broiler to make faux BBQ ribs. They were pretty good but probably not
as tasty as slow smoked ribs. None of my beer guzzling friends seemed
to notice though.

They were ready in just about 35-40 minutes. It was a few minutes of
prep, a few minutes of browning, 15 minutes in the pressure cooker and
10 minutes broiling in the oven with the Memphis style dry spice rub
mixture on them.

I took pictures of the process. Here's the gallery -
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/F...ker-Pork-Ribs/

This was the first time that I've used "liquid smoke" and it really
did add a nice smokey flavor to the ribs. The high pressure
environment in the pressure cooker did a good job of infusing the
liquid smoke deep into the meat.

Next time I'm going to try pressure cooking the ribs to shorten the
process and then smoke them on my gas grill with a smoker box filled
with hickory chips and beer. I'd also like to try using a "mop" to add
more flavor and keep the ribs moist while they grill.

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Paul Michaels" wrote:

Nothing worth repeating

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 17, 4:39*pm, Paul Michaels > wrote:
> I needed to make some pork ribs relatively quickly last weekend for a
> tailgating event, so I decided to use my pressure cooker and the oven
> broiler to make faux BBQ ribs. They were pretty good but probably not
> as tasty as slow smoked ribs. None of my beer guzzling friends seemed
> to notice though.
>
> They were ready in just about 35-40 minutes. It was a few minutes of
> prep, a few minutes of browning, 15 minutes in the pressure cooker and
> 10 minutes broiling in the oven with the Memphis style dry spice rub
> mixture on them.
>
> I took pictures of the process. Here's the gallery -http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Faux-BBQ-Memphis-Dry-Rub-Pressure-...
>
> This was the first time that I've used "liquid smoke" and it really
> did add a nice smokey flavor to the ribs. The high pressure
> environment in the pressure cooker did a good job of infusing the
> liquid smoke deep into the meat.
>
> Next time I'm going to try pressure cooking the ribs to shorten the
> process and then smoke them on my gas grill with a smoker box filled
> with hickory chips and beer. I'd also like to try using a "mop" to add
> more flavor and keep the ribs moist while they grill.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Seems like a lot of work in not much time.
Cam
I've got lots of time and I'm lazy.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cam" > wrote in message
On Nov 17, 4:39 pm, Paul Michaels > wrote:
> I needed to make some pork ribs relatively quickly last weekend for a
> tailgating event, so I decided to use my pressure cooker and the oven
> broiler to make faux BBQ ribs. They were pretty good but probably not
> as tasty as slow smoked ribs. None of my beer guzzling friends seemed
> to notice though.
>
> They were ready in just about 35-40 minutes. It was a few minutes of
> prep, a few minutes of browning, 15 minutes in the pressure cooker and
> 10 minutes broiling in the oven with the Memphis style dry spice rub
> mixture on them.
>
> I took pictures of the process. Here's the
> gallery -http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Faux-BBQ-Memphis-Dry-Rub-Pressure-...
>
> This was the first time that I've used "liquid smoke" and it really
> did add a nice smokey flavor to the ribs. The high pressure
> environment in the pressure cooker did a good job of infusing the
> liquid smoke deep into the meat.
>
> Next time I'm going to try pressure cooking the ribs to shorten the
> process and then smoke them on my gas grill with a smoker box filled
> with hickory chips and beer. I'd also like to try using a "mop" to add
> more flavor and keep the ribs moist while they grill.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

How did you brown initially before puttiing the ribs in the pressure cooker?
How much liquid smoke to volume of water in the pressure cooker?
That sounds very interesting, especially for the month long winter rain we
get here.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:09:55 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> Paul Michaels > wrote:
>
>> I needed to make some pork ribs relatively quickly last weekend for a
>> tailgating event, so I decided to use my pressure cooker and the oven
>> broiler to make faux BBQ ribs. They were pretty good but probably not
>> as tasty as slow smoked ribs. None of my beer guzzling friends seemed
>> to notice though.
>>
>> They were ready in just about 35-40 minutes. It was a few minutes of
>> prep, a few minutes of browning, 15 minutes in the pressure cooker and
>> 10 minutes broiling in the oven with the Memphis style dry spice rub
>> mixture on them.
>>
>> I took pictures of the process. Here's the gallery -
>> http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/F...sure-Cooker-Po
>> rk-Ribs/
>>
>> This was the first time that I've used "liquid smoke" and it really
>> did add a nice smokey flavor to the ribs. The high pressure
>> environment in the pressure cooker did a good job of infusing the
>> liquid smoke deep into the meat.
>>
>> Next time I'm going to try pressure cooking the ribs to shorten the
>> process and then smoke them on my gas grill with a smoker box filled
>> with hickory chips and beer. I'd also like to try using a "mop" to add
>> more flavor and keep the ribs moist while they grill.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul

>Looks and sounds tasty. Thanks for sharing!

Sorry, I del. the original post so I can't to it.

WTF does this have to do with BBQ? I mean come on, it isn't a side
dish even.

IMHO, just someone tryin to play games with "Q" and tryin to see if we
will take the bait. Prob. someone we all already know....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:54:07 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Cam" > wrote in message
>On Nov 17, 4:39 pm, Paul Michaels > wrote:
>> I needed to make some pork ribs relatively quickly last weekend for a
>> tailgating event, so I decided to use my pressure cooker and the oven
>> broiler to make faux BBQ ribs. They were pretty good but probably not
>> as tasty as slow smoked ribs. None of my beer guzzling friends seemed
>> to notice though.
>>
>> They were ready in just about 35-40 minutes. It was a few minutes of
>> prep, a few minutes of browning, 15 minutes in the pressure cooker and
>> 10 minutes broiling in the oven with the Memphis style dry spice rub
>> mixture on them.
>>
>> I took pictures of the process. Here's the
>> gallery -http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Faux-BBQ-Memphis-Dry-Rub-Pressure-...
>>
>> This was the first time that I've used "liquid smoke" and it really
>> did add a nice smokey flavor to the ribs. The high pressure
>> environment in the pressure cooker did a good job of infusing the
>> liquid smoke deep into the meat.
>>
>> Next time I'm going to try pressure cooking the ribs to shorten the
>> process and then smoke them on my gas grill with a smoker box filled
>> with hickory chips and beer. I'd also like to try using a "mop" to add
>> more flavor and keep the ribs moist while they grill.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul
>>

>How did you brown initially before puttiing the ribs in the pressure cooker?
>How much liquid smoke to volume of water in the pressure cooker?
>That sounds very interesting, especially for the month long winter rain we
>get here.
>
>Kent

Oh please.