Bottling sauce

Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
jerry
Usenet poster

Default Bottling sauce

We need help and directions on a company that will bottle our sauce. Can
anyone help?
We make the best BBQ in Billings Montana, bar none.

--
Carolina Cuisine L.L.C.
Jerry's Pit BBQ

Old 03-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Dave Bugg
Usenet poster

jerry wrote:

We make the best BBQ in Billings Montana, bar none.

I've eaten there. If you're the best, I'd hate to taste the worst. 'Nuff
said.

Old 03-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Greg Leman
Usenet poster

"jerry" wrote in message
hlink.net...
We need help and directions on a company that will bottle our sauce. Can
anyone help?
We make the best BBQ in Billings Montana, bar none.

--
Carolina Cuisine L.L.C.
Jerry's Pit BBQ
1239 Lewis Ave
Billings MT 59102

What you're looking for is called a "co-packer." This will be an FDA
certified facility that will produce your recipe. You'll want to find a
co-packer that's near your target market, because shipping is one of the
highest costs in this business. Sauce is heavy and fragile.

Most co-packers have fairly large minimum requirements -- they make sauce in
150 gallon batches. If you're looking for a small run, you might be better
off doing it in your own restaurant kitchen and selling it from the store.

Other things you'll need:

- Ingredients, shelf life, and process analysis - Recipes don't all scale
the same, and the process you use in your own kitchen may not scale well.
You may have different ingredient choices (a few cents/bottle really
matters), and you need to make sure it's shelf stable.

- Nutrition Label - After you have the recipe nailed down, you'll need an
analysis to produce the FDA required nutrition label.

- UPC Code - You have to join the UCC and get a code set assigned to you.
It's about $800 to join. Otherwise, you're limited to mom-and-pop places
that don't use scanners.

- Products Liability Insurance - Co-packers, grocery stores, distributors,
etc won't deal with you unless you're specifically covered for product
liability insurance.

- Product Label - Sauce doesn't jump off the shelf into people's hands, but
the label is your single most important contact with the consumer. It's
your best chance to stand out.

- Distribution, marketing, etc.- This is the other 95% of what you'll be
doing. You may have the greatest sauce in the world, but this business is
all about marketing. Why is Kraft able to sell such mediocre barbeque sauce
in such huge quantities? It's not about the taste of the sauce. Just
because you build it doesn't mean they'll come.

Here's a good NC website on what it takes to get started. Most of the legal
stuff is federal, so this will be helpful even to you in MT.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/foodsc...ograms/ncfood/

While bottling a sauce sounds easy, you can easily get $10K wrapped up in
getting that first bottle of sauce out the door. It took me eight months to
produce the first commercially available bottle of "Greg's Happy Sauce".

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:08 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

"Greg Leman" wrote:
"jerry" wrote in message
We need help and directions on a company that will bottle our sauce.

[]
--
Carolina Cuisine L.L.C.
Jerry's Pit BBQ

[]

[]

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

Carolina Cuisine . . . Carolina Sauce. Interesting 'coincidence'.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Old 03-06-2004, 08:14 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Jason Tinling wrote:
wrote in news:20040603140854.106

Carolina Cuisine . . . Carolina Sauce. Interesting 'coincidence'.

Now, now Nick...Greg likely replied to Spam Boy before he spewed his
fecal matter all over. And replied with good, solid info at that. Hell,
he's even been spoofed by the veggienut "Agenda" postings. No sinister
connections to be found here, methinks.

Jason

Most likely an accidental, chance, or random coincidence due to the
unfortuitous occurrence of unrelated causes, but an interesting
'coincidence', nonetheless.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Greg Leman
Usenet poster

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:48:45 GMT, "Greg Leman"
wrote:

What you're looking for is....

You're much too kind.

Good info, but I think the typing may have been wasted on an
answer he doesn't even care about.

-sw

Yes, I see now that I've been had. But I get this question several times a
week, so at least I've written it down and can now cut and paste it for the
next time sometime emails me. Or maybe put it on the website.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Duwop
Usenet poster

Greg Leman wrote:
I guess the coincidence is that we're both from Carolina -- believe
it or not but there's a lot of Q people around here. Although I
wonder how he can create Carolina Q in MT.

Using the same methods, techniques, etc maybe? Or is there something about
Carolina's air that allows for it to be made only there? Is it something
like Japan's special snow or unique digestive system? (Japanese excuses for
prohibiting importations of some US goods, citing Japanese uniqueness as the
reason)

What you boys down there do have is a lot of other people making the same
style to compare to and compete against which we outside of the Carolina's
dont have. Doesn't mean we can't try though.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:54 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

"Greg Leman" wrote:
wrote in message
"Greg Leman" wrote:
"jerry" wrote in message[]
Carolina Cuisine L.L.C.
Jerry's Pit BBQ

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

Carolina Cuisine . . . Carolina Sauce. Interesting 'coincidence'.

I guess the coincidence is that we're both from Carolina -- believe it or
not but there's a lot of Q people around here. Although I wonder how he
can create Carolina Q in MT.

What's even worse is that he's thinking about doing the same in Carifornia!

I've been posting to this group since last year. And when I responded,
he hadn't spewed his spam yet. So I guess I fell for his bait. Silly
me, just trying to be helpful.

I know that, Greg. And I am aware of the many valuable posts you've made. I
just found the coincidence . . . ironic.

I also challenge you to point out the commercial content of my post other
than the website in the tagline. Heck, I was giving out hard earned
information for free.

Sorry. I can't accept that challenge, as I never suggested that you were
SPAMming, not that you were accusing me of having done so. I consider
putting a website in yer sigline perfectly acceptable, BTW.

Old 03-06-2004, 11:00 PM
BOB
Usenet poster

Greg Leman wrote:
I guess the coincidence is that we're both from Carolina -- believe it or
not but there's a lot of Q people around here. Although I wonder how he can
create Carolina Q in MT.

Same way *I* create NC BBQ down here in Florida?

I've been posting to this group since last year. And when I responded, he
hadn't spewed his spam yet. So I guess I fell for his bait. Silly me, just
trying to be helpful.

OK, your website was in your sig. and you *have* posted here for some time.
That's acceptable IMO.

I also challenge you to point out the commercial content of my post other
than the website in the tagline. Heck, I was giving out hard earned
information for free.

I think that Nick *might* have slightly jumped the gun here, or maybe he just
thought it *was* an interesting coincidence...

BOB

Old 04-06-2004, 09:19 PM
cl
Usenet poster

Greg Leman wrote:
cut
While bottling a sauce sounds easy, you can easily get $10K wrapped up in
getting that first bottle of sauce out the door. It took me eight months to
produce the first commercially available bottle of "Greg's Happy Sauce".

--
Greg Leman
Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.
http://www.carolinasauce.com
A wide variety of sauces and specialty foods over the web.

Great info, thanks for posting.

-CAL

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce (7) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 01:37 PM
Hoisin Sauce (2) Collection MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 17-04-2004 02:54 PM
Sauce recipe Captin-Hook Barbecue 9 26-01-2004 06:14 PM
cooking with Coke Raelene General Cooking 28 09-01-2004 10:19 PM
Dipping Sauces (11) Collection luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 06-01-2004 01:38 PM