Nova

Default stainless steel vs. porcelain cast iron

i am about to buy my first high end grill. i need help. which of these grates
is better. stainless or porcelain cast iron. i have heard the stainless doesnt
hold heat all that well.
][\][

cory

Nova wrote:

> i am about to buy my first high end grill. i need help. which of these grates
> is better. stainless or porcelain cast iron. i have heard the stainless doesnt
> hold heat all that well.
> ][\][

My previous grill had cast iron grates with a porcelain coating. After
two years of use, small pieces of the porcelain fell off, allowing the
cast iron to rust. The grates were still usable, but I would have had to
replace them after a few more years.
Steve S

If you're gonna get a Weber, go for the porcelain coated cast iron. Does a
great job searing and I've had no problem with mine.

Steve
Bill484923

cast ion holds heat the best porccelin cleans the easiest and stainless is
easier to maintain ON a high end grill there sshould be more than enough heat
to make it unimportant. My Viking can easily get to 1000 degrees.
Jason in Dallas

"Nova" > wrote in message
> i am about to buy my first high end grill. i need help. which of these

grates
> is better. stainless or porcelain cast iron. i have heard the stainless

doesnt
> hold heat all that well.

Just to clarify the Weber Genesis (eg. "Silver-B") available at Home Depot
with the cast iron porcelainized grates is a midrange grill, not a high end
grill in case that's the one you're considering. The Sam's and costco $700
grills likewise are not high end grills, either. High end grills such as a
DCS have thick stainless grates more than up to the task of retaining heat
not to mention some have IR bottom burners that also add to searing
(different than the side IR burners for rotissierie).

Only with the midrange grills such as the Genesis and the cheaper grills is
the searing a problem since heat output is marginal and the grates rather
thin if not cast iron. The thick stainless grates on high end grills are
substantial in mass and also cost. The stainless grates for the Genesis are
pretty wimpy. The porcelainized CI Home Depot Genesis grates are the way to
go if you want a $500-ish grill to cook steaks.

By the way I'm not dogging the Weber by any means as I own both a Genesis
and also a Smokey Mountain. Webers are fantastic products but not high end
equipment.