Brisket + Kamado = Cheating

Old 09-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Erik Astrup
Usenet poster

Default Brisket + Kamado = Cheating

It's just too easy...

10 pounder was rubbed and sat for 24 hours. Kamado fired up at 4:30 PM
Friday evening, brisket went on at 5PM, fat cap down, no heat
deflector, no pan. Added 4 chunks of Pecan. Dome temp settled in
quickly, lots of smoke for about 2 hours. Fiddled every now and then
with the top vent. Went to bed at 1am, got up at 8:30AM, checked meat
temp, 205F, tried the fork test, it was done. Wrapped and let it rest
for 30 min, sliced it up, put the point and other fatty bits back on
smoker for burnt ends. The flat was GREAT, it was moist and tender.
Wonderful flavor, served with some sauce and vinegar mixed in. Yum.
BTW - Putting the fat cap DOWN was definitly the right thing IMHO.

The burnt ends came off after another 3 hours, oh man...they didn't
last long. Decided that since the fire was still going why not do a
pork butt? Rubbed one down, added 4 pieces of lump to the existing
fire (which was still at 230) and closed it up. 10 hours later we had
pulled pork at 9PM.

With both the brisket and shoulder I never once opened the lid until
they were done.

The key was getting the Kamado "sealed". I discovered last year that
it was leaking something fierce around the back and left side. This
was causing HUGE temperature swings, and it drove me nutso so I ended
up using my WSM. Well, after adjusting the bands so you can't slide a
piece of paper through it, all is well!!!

Just really makes me feel guilty almost for how little work goes into
making great Q on this thing!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Duwop
Usenet poster

Erik Astrup wrote:
It's just too easy...

Uh, anyone for an amendment to the BBQ charter?

1a.
If you don't have to fiddle around with the fire (or at least look at it) at
least once an hour, it's not Q.

Shit, I have ash problems when a cook goes over 6 hours. Damn flower
pots.............

Old 09-03-2004, 10:19 PM
bbq
Usenet poster

Erik Astrup wrote:

The key was getting the Kamado "sealed". I discovered last year that
it was leaking something fierce around the back and left side. This
was causing HUGE temperature swings, and it drove me nutso so I ended
up using my WSM.

Yep, I remember that cook a few months ago. You were pretty antsy that
day. Was pretty humorous.

Well, after adjusting the bands so you can't slide a piece of paper
through it, all is well!!!

Glad you got it fixed.

Just really makes me feel guilty almost for how little work goes into
making great Q on this thing!

Don't feel guilty. Enjoy!!!!!!

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 10-03-2004, 12:20 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

Erik Astrup wrote:
It's just too easy...

10 pounder was rubbed and sat for 24 hours. Kamado fired up at 4:30 PM
Friday evening, brisket went on at 5PM, fat cap down, no heat
deflector, no pan. Added 4 chunks of Pecan. Dome temp settled in
quickly, lots of smoke for about 2 hours. Fiddled every now and then
with the top vent.

Uh Huh! Just have to play with *something*, don't you? (LOL)
That's the WSM still left in you (not a slam on the WSM, just that the K's don't
need no foolin' around with!)

[...]

Congrat's, as "bbq" says, that was a humorous post!

Just really makes me feel guilty almost for how little work goes into
making great Q on this thing!

BOB
now go cook another...

Smoked Brisket Duckie Recipes 0 12-02-2004 01:35 PM
Old World Beef Brisket Unefer1 Recipes (moderated) 0 30-01-2004 04:32 AM
Brisket (not mine) - Repost? [email protected] Barbecue 0 06-11-2003 05:22 AM
BGE vs Kamado...(long) Patti Barbecue 6 23-10-2003 04:01 AM