Erik Astrup

Default Brisket + Kamado = Cheating

It's just too easy...

10 pounder was rubbed and sat for 24 hours. Kamado fired up at 4:30 PM
Friday evening, brisket went on at 5PM, fat cap down, no heat
deflector, no pan. Added 4 chunks of Pecan. Dome temp settled in
quickly, lots of smoke for about 2 hours. Fiddled every now and then
with the top vent. Went to bed at 1am, got up at 8:30AM, checked meat
temp, 205F, tried the fork test, it was done. Wrapped and let it rest
for 30 min, sliced it up, put the point and other fatty bits back on
smoker for burnt ends. The flat was GREAT, it was moist and tender.
Wonderful flavor, served with some sauce and vinegar mixed in. Yum.
BTW - Putting the fat cap DOWN was definitly the right thing IMHO.

The burnt ends came off after another 3 hours, oh man...they didn't
last long. Decided that since the fire was still going why not do a
pork butt? Rubbed one down, added 4 pieces of lump to the existing
fire (which was still at 230) and closed it up. 10 hours later we had
pulled pork at 9PM.

With both the brisket and shoulder I never once opened the lid until
they were done.

The key was getting the Kamado "sealed". I discovered last year that
it was leaking something fierce around the back and left side. This
was causing HUGE temperature swings, and it drove me nutso so I ended
up using my WSM. Well, after adjusting the bands so you can't slide a
piece of paper through it, all is well!!!

Just really makes me feel guilty almost for how little work goes into
making great Q on this thing!
Duwop

Erik Astrup wrote:
> It's just too easy...

Uh, anyone for an amendment to the BBQ charter?

1a.
If you don't have to fiddle around with the fire (or at least look at it) at
least once an hour, it's not Q.

Shit, I have ash problems when a cook goes over 6 hours. Damn flower
pots.............

bbq

Erik Astrup wrote:

> The key was getting the Kamado "sealed". I discovered last year that
> it was leaking something fierce around the back and left side. This
> was causing HUGE temperature swings, and it drove me nutso so I ended
> up using my WSM.

Yep, I remember that cook a few months ago. You were pretty antsy that
day. Was pretty humorous.

Well, after adjusting the bands so you can't slide a piece of paper
through it, all is well!!!

Glad you got it fixed.

> Just really makes me feel guilty almost for how little work goes into
> making great Q on this thing!

Don't feel guilty. Enjoy!!!!!!

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

BOB

Erik Astrup wrote:
> It's just too easy...
>
> 10 pounder was rubbed and sat for 24 hours. Kamado fired up at 4:30 PM
> Friday evening, brisket went on at 5PM, fat cap down, no heat
> deflector, no pan. Added 4 chunks of Pecan. Dome temp settled in
> quickly, lots of smoke for about 2 hours. Fiddled every now and then
> with the top vent.

Uh Huh! Just have to play with *something*, don't you? (LOL)
That's the WSM still left in you (not a slam on the WSM, just that the K's don't
need no foolin' around with!)

> Went to bed at 1am, got up at 8:30AM, checked meat
> temp, 205F, tried the fork test, it was done. Wrapped and let it rest
> for 30 min, sliced it up, put the point and other fatty bits back on
> smoker for burnt ends. The flat was GREAT, it was moist and tender.
> Wonderful flavor, served with some sauce and vinegar mixed in. Yum.
> BTW - Putting the fat cap DOWN was definitly the right thing IMHO.
>
> The burnt ends came off after another 3 hours, oh man...they didn't
> last long. Decided that since the fire was still going why not do a
> pork butt? Rubbed one down, added 4 pieces of lump to the existing
> fire (which was still at 230) and closed it up. 10 hours later we had
> pulled pork at 9PM.
>
> With both the brisket and shoulder I never once opened the lid until
> they were done.
>
> The key was getting the Kamado "sealed". I discovered last year that
> it was leaking something fierce around the back and left side. This
> was causing HUGE temperature swings, and it drove me nutso so I ended
> up using my WSM. Well, after adjusting the bands so you can't slide a
> piece of paper through it, all is well!!!

Congrat's, as "bbq" says, that was a humorous post!

> Just really makes me feel guilty almost for how little work goes into
> making great Q on this thing!

BOB
now go cook another...

OT - cheating Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 54 23-09-2010 05:50 PM
Cheating Dimitri General Cooking 13 04-07-2008 02:21 AM
How to find out if your boyfriend is cheating [email protected] General Cooking 0 08-12-2006 03:31 AM
Cheating with mojo de ajo modom General Cooking 2 29-03-2006 04:57 AM
When is it cheating in a recipe? [email protected] General Cooking 14 20-02-2006 03:58 PM