Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheating with mojo de ajo

I've made the real thing, simmering finely chopped garlic in oil over
very low heat for a long time till it gets golden. It's really good,
but nowadays I cheat by using the microwave. I mince garlic and put
it into a small microwave-safe bowl. Then I barely cover the garlic
with olive oil and zap it on high for 30 seconds. After it rests for
a few moments, I zap it again. And repeat. The results aren't
perfect, but usually they work for me.

Sometimes I add other flavors like cumin, jalapenos, or lemon zest to
the mojo. It makes a very good base for a vinaigrette or a slaw
dressing. It's also quite good mixed with mayo or yogurt on chicken.
--
modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> I've made the real thing, simmering finely chopped garlic in oil over
> very low heat for a long time till it gets golden. It's really good,
> but nowadays I cheat by using the microwave. I mince garlic and put
> it into a small microwave-safe bowl. Then I barely cover the garlic
> with olive oil and zap it on high for 30 seconds. After it rests for
> a few moments, I zap it again. And repeat. The results aren't
> perfect, but usually they work for me.
>
> Sometimes I add other flavors like cumin, jalapenos, or lemon zest to
> the mojo. It makes a very good base for a vinaigrette or a slaw
> dressing. It's also quite good mixed with mayo or yogurt on chicken.
> --
> modom

Sounds like it'd make a good poultry marinade, or treatment for steaks
prior to frying them.

Does the microwave version come out as good as cooking it on the
stovetop?
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:19:32 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> modom > wrote:
>
>> I've made the real thing, simmering finely chopped garlic in oil over
>> very low heat for a long time till it gets golden. It's really good,
>> but nowadays I cheat by using the microwave. I mince garlic and put
>> it into a small microwave-safe bowl. Then I barely cover the garlic
>> with olive oil and zap it on high for 30 seconds. After it rests for
>> a few moments, I zap it again. And repeat. The results aren't
>> perfect, but usually they work for me.
>>
>> Sometimes I add other flavors like cumin, jalapenos, or lemon zest to
>> the mojo. It makes a very good base for a vinaigrette or a slaw
>> dressing. It's also quite good mixed with mayo or yogurt on chicken.
>> --
>> modom

>Sounds like it'd make a good poultry marinade, or treatment for steaks
>prior to frying them.
>
>Does the microwave version come out as good as cooking it on the
>stovetop?

Not as good, but it sure gets it done while I'm prepping other things.
The difference is about 1/10 the time, I'd guess.
--
modom

Cheating wives in your area [email protected] Sushi 0 30-11-2010 02:58 PM
She is my sister and become cheating wise melanbrayan Barbecue 0 28-10-2010 08:15 AM
OT - cheating Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 54 23-09-2010 05:50 PM
Cheating Dimitri General Cooking 13 04-07-2008 02:21 AM
When is it cheating in a recipe? [email protected] General Cooking 14 20-02-2006 02:58 PM