What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake?

Old 03-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Chris Wilkins
Usenet poster

Default What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake?

What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake?

Can ingredients etc. cause cracking as well as a to higher temp.?

I'm plannibg to make a Wedding cake for my daughter's wedding next
year. Any tips as to how to get the 'perfect' cake.

Chris....
Old 11-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Ken'
Usenet poster

Chris
I would like to know this too.
I just removed a white Christmas from the oven and it was cracked. It wasn't
the last time I looked.
I suspect it may be caused by overbaking, or the batter was too dry.
Will watch this thread with interest.
Ken'

m...

Old 12-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Mark Floerke
Usenet poster

Over baking, too many eggs, heat too high, too much high gluten flour
(spring tops vs. soft), leavening system not balanced - too much acid and/or
slow reacting acid.

Could be any one or combination of the above. Most common is over baking or
temperature too high.
Try to eliminate one at a time to trouble shoot. Use a good oven
thermometer in the oven to check temp - don't rely on the thermostat of the
oven alone. Sudden drafts can cause home ovens to drop temp rapidly and
then over compensate heat to recover - especially electric. In convection
remember to drop temp 25 -50F lower than temp in regular oven, and shorten
the baking time up to 10%.

Good luck