Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Rose Petal Wine on a Commercial Scale Question

Hello all,

I find myself in a peculiar circumstance. It all boils down to the
folowing question, to cut a long story short.....

Is it feasible to produce rose petal wine on a commercial scale?

I have a friend who grows hydroponic roses in vast quantities, and has
been asking me if we might make a commercial venture of producing wine
from them.

Any thoughts, examples or experiences you would share with me? I don't
know if its feasible or not.

Thanks Snpm

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

snpm > wrote:

> I have a friend who grows hydroponic roses in vast quantities,
> and has been asking me if we might make a commercial venture
> of producing wine from them.

Please ask your friend how many times a year do his roses bloom?
I have a hydroponic garden (ebb-n-flow) and would be very
interested growing roses for the same reason, but not commercially.

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"snpm" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I find myself in a peculiar circumstance. It all boils down to the
> folowing question, to cut a long story short.....
>
> Is it feasible to produce rose petal wine on a commercial scale?
>
> I have a friend who grows hydroponic roses in vast quantities, and has
> been asking me if we might make a commercial venture of producing wine
> from them.
>
> Any thoughts, examples or experiences you would share with me? I don't
> know if its feasible or not.

It sounds like a good idea, but I'd bet it isn't.

Commercially grown roses don't have any scent to speak of - and therein lies
one of the most significant aspects of wines: what they _smell_ like.

Probably best that he stick to what he already knows how to do well.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"snpm" > wrote in message ups.com...
Hello all,

I find myself in a peculiar circumstance. It all boils down to the
folowing question, to cut a long story short.....

Is it feasible to produce rose petal wine on a commercial scale?

I have a friend who grows hydroponic roses in vast quantities, and has
been asking me if we might make a commercial venture of producing wine
from them.

Any thoughts, examples or experiences you would share with me? I don't
know if its feasible or not.

Thanks Snpm

Something to think about is the fact that rose growers use fungicides and pesticides as do grape growers but since they are not for consumption, there is not restriction on "pre harvest" usage. You could end up with a toxic brew unless you knew exactly what was used for disease and pest control and when and how often applied.