Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default 1 gallon of Mango wine - needs a kick

Hi!
I read some on Jack's website and on this forum, but just wanted to
ensure I do this correctly.
I have a Mango wine almost done. It is turning out at about 7% alcohol,
but is really good as is. So I thought some Vodka would up the alcohol
without messing the fine wine it is.
But for 1 gallon, how much do I add? I was hoping for 12% (ok, maybe I
was wishing for 15%, but I'll settle for 12%). Since this feels like it
could be a good sipping wine, not a cooler or mixer.

I have 1 gallon, so I think it is 2 cups of vodka. Or is this a "depends
on taste" and isn't just a dump? We can't get everclear in North
Carolina. Can you get it in Virginia? West Virginia? I go there often.

any input is better than my own. :*)
DAve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 4/12/2006 12:06 AM, DAve Allison wrote:
> Hi!
> I read some on Jack's website and on this forum, but just wanted to
> ensure I do this correctly.
> I have a Mango wine almost done. It is turning out at about 7% alcohol,
> but is really good as is. So I thought some Vodka would up the alcohol
> without messing the fine wine it is.
> But for 1 gallon, how much do I add? I was hoping for 12% (ok, maybe I
> was wishing for 15%, but I'll settle for 12%). Since this feels like it
> could be a good sipping wine, not a cooler or mixer.
>
> I have 1 gallon, so I think it is 2 cups of vodka. Or is this a "depends
> on taste" and isn't just a dump? We can't get everclear in North
> Carolina. Can you get it in Virginia? West Virginia? I go there often.
>
> any input is better than my own. :*)
> DAve

DAve,

Do a web search for "Pearson square" and you'll find many links to this
useful tool for blending two wines (or any fluid, such as the vodka you
intend to use) of differing ABV to arrive at a desired ABV for the mixture.

In fact Jack Keller's site has the tool built into it, making the pencil
and paper algebra unnecessary.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blending.asp

But it is useful to know how to do this simple calculation by hand.

Everclear. It is not sold in VA ABC stores, but it is allowed in MD
stores. VA ABCs are nearly identical twins, being state run. MD stores
are much more various. Some carry it, some don't. Calling ahead is
key, especially if you are visiting from out of town.
I've only used Everclear to boost the alcohol content of a 12% mead made
in a sherry style to a sherry strength. This means that I'm no expert
on fortifying, but I think you might find that your "really good as is"
7% mango wine might be much better off left alone. A bench test on a
small portion might be a good idea, before committing the entire batch.

Cheers,
Ken Taborek
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for both person's replies. I just wasn't looking hardenough on
google or Jack's site, thanks for pointing them out to me.
Maybe well enough is good enough, I might experiment but now I'm
reconsidering adding. hmm. something to think about.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!
DAve

mail box wrote:
> On 4/12/2006 12:06 AM, DAve Allison wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I read some on Jack's website and on this forum, but just wanted to
>> ensure I do this correctly.
>> I have a Mango wine almost done. It is turning out at about 7%
>> alcohol, but is really good as is. So I thought some Vodka would up
>> the alcohol without messing the fine wine it is.
>> But for 1 gallon, how much do I add? I was hoping for 12% (ok, maybe I
>> was wishing for 15%, but I'll settle for 12%). Since this feels like
>> it could be a good sipping wine, not a cooler or mixer.
>>
>> I have 1 gallon, so I think it is 2 cups of vodka. Or is this a
>> "depends on taste" and isn't just a dump? We can't get everclear in
>> North Carolina. Can you get it in Virginia? West Virginia? I go there
>> often.
>>
>> any input is better than my own. :*)
>> DAve

> DAve,
>
> Do a web search for "Pearson square" and you'll find many links to this
> useful tool for blending two wines (or any fluid, such as the vodka you
> intend to use) of differing ABV to arrive at a desired ABV for the mixture.
>
> In fact Jack Keller's site has the tool built into it, making the pencil
> and paper algebra unnecessary.
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blending.asp
>
> But it is useful to know how to do this simple calculation by hand.
>
> Everclear. It is not sold in VA ABC stores, but it is allowed in MD
> stores. VA ABCs are nearly identical twins, being state run. MD stores
> are much more various. Some carry it, some don't. Calling ahead is
> key, especially if you are visiting from out of town.
> I've only used Everclear to boost the alcohol content of a 12% mead made
> in a sherry style to a sherry strength. This means that I'm no expert
> on fortifying, but I think you might find that your "really good as is"
> 7% mango wine might be much better off left alone. A bench test on a
> small portion might be a good idea, before committing the entire batch.
>

> Cheers,
> Ken Taborek

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

i think those are state law differences, for instance, florida only
allows up to 153 proof, so we have to go to georgia or louisiana to get
190 proof everclear.
bill keiser

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

PA also has 190 everclear,but becarefull with that,some powerful stuff
thier.