Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Added ingredients in wrong order

Yesterday I did my first racking of a WineKitz wine kit. I added the
sulfite and then was *supposed* to add the kieselsol (the following day
I was supposed to add the chitosan). However, accidentally I added the
chitosan. Upon realizing this, I added the kieselsol immediately
after. After doing some basic research on the internet, it seems that
these are both clarifying agents so I'm hoping I haven't screwed up my
wine too badly. Any ideas?

By the way, I've heard all I need to hear about how careful I should be
from my spouse...over and over and over...

Thanks,
Bubba

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Big Bubba" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yesterday I did my first racking of a WineKitz wine kit. I added the
> sulfite and then was *supposed* to add the kieselsol (the following day
> I was supposed to add the chitosan). However, accidentally I added the
> chitosan. Upon realizing this, I added the kieselsol immediately
> after. After doing some basic research on the internet, it seems that
> these are both clarifying agents so I'm hoping I haven't screwed up my
> wine too badly. Any ideas?
>
> By the way, I've heard all I need to hear about how careful I should be
> from my spouse...over and over and over...
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

It is my understanding, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, that
kieselsol will bind with certain things and the chitosan will bind to
others, AND help the kieselsol drop to the bottom more quickly. By adding
them in the wrong order you may have negated some of the fining effects but
I suspect you did not hurt anything. If it clears, you are fine. If not
you may repeat the process doing it in the correct order next time.

Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'll defer to the more seasoned winemakers for your technical response...

On the human side.... many scientific discoveries of the last couple
of centuries have been 'by accident'... Antifreeze for engines is one
of them; rayon cloth fiber is another.

Let us know how your accident turns out.

Gene

Big Bubba wrote:
> Yesterday I did my first racking of a WineKitz wine kit. I added the
> sulfite and then was *supposed* to add the kieselsol (the following day
> I was supposed to add the chitosan). However, accidentally I added the
> chitosan. Upon realizing this, I added the kieselsol immediately
> after. After doing some basic research on the internet, it seems that
> these are both clarifying agents so I'm hoping I haven't screwed up my
> wine too badly. Any ideas?
>
> By the way, I've heard all I need to hear about how careful I should be
> from my spouse...over and over and over...
>
> Thanks,
> Bubba

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

As far as fining agents are concerned in kits, you can forego them if you're
willing to wait the requisite time for the wine to settle out. That you've
mixed one for the other at a different stage does not cause too much
consternation - perhaps wait longer than the suggested settling time to rack
your wine for ageing/bottling to be sure all finings and their strippings
settle.

"gene" > wrote in message
> I'll defer to the more seasoned winemakers for your technical response...
>
> On the human side.... many scientific discoveries of the last couple
> of centuries have been 'by accident'... Antifreeze for engines is one of
> them; rayon cloth fiber is another.
>
> Let us know how your accident turns out.
>
> Gene
>
> Big Bubba wrote:
>> Yesterday I did my first racking of a WineKitz wine kit. I added the
>> sulfite and then was *supposed* to add the kieselsol (the following day
>> I was supposed to add the chitosan). However, accidentally I added the
>> chitosan. Upon realizing this, I added the kieselsol immediately
>> after. After doing some basic research on the internet, it seems that
>> these are both clarifying agents so I'm hoping I haven't screwed up my
>> wine too badly. Any ideas?
>>
>> By the way, I've heard all I need to hear about how careful I should be
>> from my spouse...over and over and over...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bubba

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'm sure you did not hurt anything, don't worry about it.
The order is important but fining is optional for the most part as
Patrick mentioned. Just let time clarify your wine if it isn't clear
already. The reason kits have fining's in them is to make the wine
clearer faster, it's hard to have something clear in just 30 days. Is
this red or white? You can tell how effective the clearing is
progressing by shining a bright light into the side of the carboy.
Start at the top and work down. Look at the beam not the light. If
you can see the outline of the beam the wine has some suspended solids
in it. It will probably look different toward the bottom, the beam may
get more defined. Once it's clear and looks the same top to bottom,
the wine is clear.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for the comments! This site is really great for someone new to
wine-making. What did people do before the internet? Talk? Weird.

Anyway, the wine really cleared up and looks good so far so I'll keep
my fingers crossed. From the comments, it sounds like I'll be alright.
Thanks!!

buy ampicillin plate order ampicillin dosing order ampicillinprophylaxis order ampicillin gentamycin order ampicillin dosing orderampicillin agar order ampicillin buy ampicillin acne order ampicillin solutionlb agar plates penicillin order ampicillin [email protected] General Cooking 0 13-03-2008 04:41 AM
Added myself to map TonyK General Cooking 15 15-10-2006 09:27 PM
just added my isinglass k-dawg Winemaking 1 06-03-2006 06:15 PM
NO YEAST ADDED Chris Sourdough 4 01-12-2005 11:08 PM
After Stabilizer Added - Next? Peter Muto Winemaking 11 04-01-2004 01:03 PM