Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
billb

Default Lit it "take the air"

Have any of you heard of this practice of opening red wine and letting it
sit with cork off for 30 mins, before drinking???

What's the point?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Oxygen allows a wine to open up, it allows volatilising of aroma
compounds.

Decanting is a popular practice, which involves pouring the wine in
such a manner as to allow maximum exposure to the air. Also as the name
indicates, it allows decanting off any sediment that may be in the
bottle

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It may taste better the next day, but how many days before it tastes worse
if it takes a few days to finish the bottle? I just read an article about a
guy who invented and now sells a device to put your wine bottle in that will
blanket the wine with argon so it won't spoil. He claims wine will go bad
in one week after being opened. I have taken several weeks to finish a
bottle and have never been able to detect any change. Wonder how long it
takes before the average person can notice a change in an opened but
stoppered bottle?

"Bill" > wrote in message

> "billb" > wrote in message
>> Have any of you heard of this practice of opening red wine and letting it
>> sit with cork off for 30 mins, before drinking???
>>
>> What's the point?

> It's a very common procedure. L:letting oxygen at wine causes it to age
> rapidly. Since we often drink wine before it has aged properly, the quick
> aging can only help. Also, reds should be drunk near room temperature and
> the half hour delay insures that that objective will be met. Ever notice
> that left over wine often tastes better the next day ? It's that exposure
> to air that does it.
>
> Regards, Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"billb" > wrote in message
> Have any of you heard of this practice of opening red wine and letting it
> sit with cork off for 30 mins, before drinking???
>
> What's the point?

It's a very common procedure. L:letting oxygen at wine causes it to age
rapidly. Since we often drink wine before it has aged properly, the quick
aging can only help. Also, reds should be drunk near room temperature and
the half hour delay insures that that objective will be met. Ever notice
that left over wine often tastes better the next day ? It's that exposure
to air that does it.

Regards, Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Crhoff wrote:
> It may taste better the next day, but how many days before it tastes worse
> if it takes a few days to finish the bottle? I just read an article about a
> guy who invented and now sells a device to put your wine bottle in that will
> blanket the wine with argon so it won't spoil. He claims wine will go bad
> in one week after being opened. I have taken several weeks to finish a
> bottle and have never been able to detect any change. Wonder how long it
> takes before the average person can notice a change in an opened but
> stoppered bottle?
>

>From my experience, once you've tasted a badly oxidized wine, you'll

notice the changes due to air exposure pretty fast. If you just use a
regular cork to close an open bottle, the changes will happen faster
than if you use the vacuum stopper thingie.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

gene wrote:

> I thought wine came in bottles, not cans... shouldn't it be debottling?
> lol

Only if you do it without inclining or "canting" the bottle. ;-)

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bill wrote:
Also, reds should be drunk near room temperature ....

Assuming room temp. is about 65 deg. F. Ever been served room temp.
reds during a heat wave duringg summer???

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Crhoff" > wrote in message
> It may taste better the next day, but how many days before it tastes worse
> if it takes a few days to finish the bottle?

[in the voice of Foamy , the squirrel] What the ****'s _wrong_ with you?
You're taking *days* to finish a bottle of wine? ;^D

I just read an article about a
> guy who invented and now sells a device to put your wine bottle in that
> will blanket the wine with argon so it won't spoil. He claims wine will
> go bad in one week after being opened. I have taken several weeks to
> finish a bottle and have never been able to detect any change.

I don't know what you've been drinking, but it must be port or some other
sweet, high alcohol wine - or possibly sherry or madeira. Nothing else that
I know of will take that much air exposure without fading noticeably or just
plain spoiling.

Wonder how long it
> takes before the average person can notice a change in an opened but
> stoppered bottle?

That depends a lot on ambient conditions, as well as the age of the wine in
question - not to mention the direction of that "difference".

Your average bottle of ~$7-12 red wine from Publix, Pavillions, Whole Foods
or the like? Figure it'll probably be OK the next day if you remembered to
replace the cork - maybe two days to ~ a week if you corked it and stuck it
in the 'fridge.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

This probably is blasphemous, but I've taken to using the el-cheapo
(thin wall) 16oz bottled water bottles for the leftovers from my fifths.

I pour in the wine, put the lid on loosely, squeeze until wine just
starts to seep out the lid and crank 'er tight before sucking air back
in, then put it in the fridge. I couldn't tell the difference from a
fresh bottle after a month in the fridge.

Gene

Tom S wrote:

> "Crhoff" > wrote in message
>
>>It may taste better the next day, but how many days before it tastes worse
>>if it takes a few days to finish the bottle?

> [in the voice of Foamy , the squirrel] What the ****'s _wrong_ with you?
> You're taking *days* to finish a bottle of wine? ;^D
>
> I just read an article about a
>
>>guy who invented and now sells a device to put your wine bottle in that
>>will blanket the wine with argon so it won't spoil. He claims wine will
>>go bad in one week after being opened. I have taken several weeks to
>>finish a bottle and have never been able to detect any change.

> I don't know what you've been drinking, but it must be port or some other
> sweet, high alcohol wine - or possibly sherry or madeira. Nothing else that
> I know of will take that much air exposure without fading noticeably or just
> plain spoiling.
>
> Wonder how long it
>
>>takes before the average person can notice a change in an opened but
>>stoppered bottle?

> That depends a lot on ambient conditions, as well as the age of the wine in
> question - not to mention the direction of that "difference".
>
> Your average bottle of ~$7-12 red wine from Publix, Pavillions, Whole Foods
> or the like? Figure it'll probably be OK the next day if you remembered to
> replace the cork - maybe two days to ~ a week if you corked it and stuck it
> in the 'fridge.
>
> Tom S
> www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

An anecdote on the subject. I was visiting with Paul who posts on this site
a few years ago. We had had several bottles of excellent wine through the
evening. Then he opened a bottle of dry red that I really did not care for.
I sipped at it a while and we decided it was time to prepare for bed. About
an our later as I was about to hit the sack I picked up my glass, still half
full and decided it would not be polite to poor it out. I sipped it and it
had completely changed it's character. It was really very good. The next
day we tried it again and found that it definitely better for a couple of
hours of air contact.

How much air contact is good? That depends on the wine, the amount of time
in bulk age and in bottle, and very significantly, how much sulfite is in
it. Some may require no time or only 20 min. Others may improve over
night.

Ray