Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
mdginzo

Default Airlock question

Where does all that gas that is released through the airlock actually
go? My s-type locks have a red cap firmly in place. How come the
gasses dont build up and blow it off?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp

mdginzo wrote:
> Where does all that gas that is released through the airlock actually
> go? My s-type locks have a red cap firmly in place. How come the
> gasses dont build up and blow it off?

Your red cap is nowhere close to being airtight and why would they
design it that way?

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Marty Phee

Jack Keller on winepress.us suggested that if you don't put your
airlocks on correctly (too much water) and don't let the gas out it will
be absorbed by the wine. Hence very gassy wine.

mdginzo wrote:
> Where does all that gas that is released through the airlock actually
> go? My s-type locks have a red cap firmly in place. How come the
> gasses dont build up and blow it off?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio

If you look inside your airlock you will see small standoffs around the
perimeter to let the gas in or out.

Joe