vinterwannabe

Default Use beer bottles? why not?

What are the reasons to not use beer bottles, capped or grolsh style?
seems they make a good seal, could stand upright so no contact with the
cap liner or gasket, just the botttle. They could be filled to near
the top eliminating most head space. some are even in the 750 ml range
or larger.

Thanks much

Murray Clark

vinterwannabe wrote:

> What are the reasons to not use beer bottles, capped or grolsh style?
> seems they make a good seal, could stand upright so no contact with the
> cap liner or gasket, just the botttle. They could be filled to near
> the top eliminating most head space. some are even in the 750 ml range
> or larger.
>
> Thanks much

You can use 2 liter plastic bottles that have been sterilized. Just buy new
caps and you're on your way. Grolsh bottle would be fine. Remove the rubber
ring at the top and wash it with antibacterial soap or alcohol. Pour
boiling water into the bottles a couple of times to sterilize.

JF

vinterwannabe wrote:
> What are the reasons to not use beer bottles, capped or grolsh style?

Tradition and esthetics.
Ed Marks

As far as I'm concerned - None. I bottle some of each wine I made last year
in beer bottles - they're easy to cap, the caps are very inexpensive
(especially compared to good quality cork or synthetics), and it's nice
having smaller bottles for an evening where I don't want to drink that much.

Do it and enjoy!

Ed

> What are the reasons to not use beer bottles, capped or grolsh style?
> seems they make a good seal, could stand upright so no contact with the
> cap liner or gasket, just the botttle. They could be filled to near
> the top eliminating most head space. some are even in the 750 ml range
> or larger.
>
> Thanks much

Ray Calvert

They will work very well for wines that are intended to be drunk fairly
young (less than 18 to 14 months). I have not used common beer bottles but
have used the Grolsh Style. I bottled a batch of dewberry in some. I used
new rings. I also bottled some in standard wine bottles under cork.

I found that the wine in the Grolsh bottles did not age the same. In fact
it did not seem to bottle age at all. It seemed that where the wine in the
wine bottles mellowed after a year, the wine in the Grolsh bottles did not.
Then after 3 years the wine in the Grolsh bottles was severely oxidized and
not drinkable. I had no wine in regular bottles left to compare with.

Ray

oups.com...