trav77

Default Old ML Culture

Hey all,

I have a packet of WYeast 4007 malolactic blend that was manufactured 2
years ago. There's no expiry date at all. I can't seem to find another
local source that carries ML culture. So I'm wondering if this packet
of culture would still be ok to innoculate 6 gallons of wine with. Or
should I try to get some newer ML culture by mail?

Travis

Tom S

"trav77" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> I have a packet of WYeast 4007 malolactic blend that was manufactured 2
> years ago. There's no expiry date at all. I can't seem to find another
> local source that carries ML culture. So I'm wondering if this packet
> of culture would still be ok to innoculate 6 gallons of wine with. Or
> should I try to get some newer ML culture by mail?

If it's been in the freezer (assuming dry powdered culture) for the past 2
years it should be OK.

If not, it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway. Are you sure your wine didn't
already go spontaneous ML?

If you decide to order fresh, order some leucofood and leucovit too.

Tom S

pp

trav77 wrote:
> Tom S wrote:
>
> > If it's been in the freezer (assuming dry powdered culture) for the past 2
> > years it should be OK.
> >
> > If not, it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway. Are you sure your wine didn't
> > already go spontaneous ML?

> It's a WYeast liquid culture that's been in the fridge. I guess there's
> not much harm in trying it out.
>
> I'm sure my wine didn't undergo spontaneous ML because the wine doesn't
> exist yet. I'm getting the grapes this week... just wanted to make sure
> I had everything before I get going, as winemaking supplies can be hard
> to find here.
>
> Travis

The WYeast liquid cultures generally have an expiry date of 6 months or
so. You can still try but it might be a good idea to do a starter from
it with apple juice first to see if it's still viable - I think the
instructions are on the package.

Pp

the culture of the BBQ lilyqianweiku Chocolate 0 18-02-2011 08:21 AM
How much dry culture to use? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 7 21-09-2008 10:38 PM
Culture war Mike Avery Sourdough 0 12-10-2006 02:37 AM
tea culture John Preserving 0 28-11-2005 11:21 AM
When to add the ML culture? Diamond Vintner Winemaking 8 22-10-2005 07:08 AM