jeff

Default hydroponic viticulture update

for all who have asked me to post updates: photos of may, june and july for
the hydroponic vineyard have been uploaded. see www.africusrex.com

Jeff

Dick Adams

jeff > wrote:

> for all who have asked me to post updates: photos of may, june
> and july for the hydroponic vineyard have been uploaded.
> see www.africusrex.com

Great photos and excellent writing!

Dick

Jrff,

Vines look healthy! Just one concern I have is the spacing. How do you
get any air flow through the middle of those vines??? Was last year the
same way ??? Did you not have any problem with fungus. If you are
mostly fungus free then I have to ask what your using for a spray
program. I would assume you'd at least have Downey mildew in the middle
..Are you thinking of expanding the spacing as the vines mature???? They
just seem to be a little close. JMO.

Bob

jeff wrote:
> for all who have asked me to post updates: photos of may, june and july for
> the hydroponic vineyard have been uploaded. see www.africusrex.com
>
> Jeff

jeff

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jrff,
>
> Vines look healthy! Just one concern I have is the spacing. How do you
> get any air flow through the middle of those vines??? Was last year the
> same way ??? Did you not have any problem with fungus. If you are
> mostly fungus free then I have to ask what your using for a spray
> program. I would assume you'd at least have Downey mildew in the middle
> .Are you thinking of expanding the spacing as the vines mature???? They
> just seem to be a little close. JMO.
>
> Bob

Bob,

Last year the vines were less than half the size. This years growth is
vigorous. Last year I had powdery mildew. this year, nothing. Day time
temperatures are averaging 94 F every day. These temperatures have been here
since the beginning of June. The hottest summer on record for southern
Ontario. There is usually a breeze. Humidity is high--about 50% on average.
But very little--if any--rain. Grass is brown and crunchy. This year I also
notice very few spider mites or other traditional pests. Could be the heat.

I have purposely avoided a spray program this year, if only to see what
happens. Other years I have applied garden sulfur, Safers end-all for
certain bugs, and some serious fungicide for other maladies.

some of my bunches, however are showing symtoms of something. I posted this
earlier, but I'll post it again here. www.africusrex.com/temp There is a pic
there of what is happening to a few of my bunches. However this malady is
happening to bunches on the outer edges of the vineyard where there is
plenty of ventilation and sun. tell me what you think.

My shoots are being trained verticaly. new leaves on the upper canopy is
always exposed to sun. I've topped once already to promote some lateral
growth.

Trellising is a challenge, yes. But...this is an experiment. Main concerns
at this point are nutrient balance, and pH. All things are in a constant
state of flux.

Jeff

Hydroponic Gardening Lou Decruss General Cooking 0 25-10-2011 04:23 PM
viticulture advice michael[_3_] Winemaking 23 28-06-2008 06:11 PM
hydroponic grapes update jeff Winemaking 1 02-06-2005 01:44 PM
High-tech viticulture Tom S Winemaking 1 03-11-2003 02:46 PM
High-tech viticulture Tom S Wine 0 03-11-2003 04:35 AM