Adam Preble

Default Welch's grape juice wine with sulfites

The prior thread about this is no longer on my news server, and I
haven't found a site with an archive* yet; sorry for digging this back
up. I recently got some frozen welch's white grape juice concentrate.
It's the kind made from Niagra grapes. In the ingredient list, it
mentions sulfites. I recall reading that this is a problem, but can be
overcome.

I might not be recalling this correctly, but the yeast will be
destroyed/deactivated by the sulfites; but a hearty, strong, and
numerous yeast starter should overpower this. Is this what I should do?

Jack Keller's site doesn't have a mention of how to handle the sulfites.
That was the site that was mentioned in the prior discussion.
A. J. Rawls

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:35:51 GMT, Adam Preble
> wrote:

>The prior thread about this is no longer on my news server, and I
>haven't found a site with an archive* yet; sorry for digging this back
>up. I recently got some frozen welch's white grape juice concentrate.
>It's the kind made from Niagra grapes. In the ingredient list, it
>mentions sulfites. I recall reading that this is a problem, but can be
>overcome.
>
>I might not be recalling this correctly, but the yeast will be
>destroyed/deactivated by the sulfites; but a hearty, strong, and
>numerous yeast starter should overpower this. Is this what I should do?
>
>Jack Keller's site doesn't have a mention of how to handle the sulfites.
> That was the site that was mentioned in the prior discussion.

Jack's recipe is he
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp

I don't believe the "Sulfiting Agents" listed on the Welch's Frozen
White Grape Juice container are a factor in fermenting this wine. I
have never had a problem with yeast making this wine... I do primary
fermentation in a bucket these days to prevent overflow because
fermentation is sometimes too vigorous for starting in a carboy.

I do not use a yeast starter for this wine... I simply dump dry yeast
on top and a healthy ferment starts within hours.

I have heard of some people having stuck fermentations with the
Welch's Frozen Red Grape Concentrate (Concord)... I have never had a
problem with it.

Later,
A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

JEP62

Adam Preble wrote:

> I might not be recalling this correctly, but the yeast will be
> destroyed/deactivated by the sulfites; but a hearty, strong, and
> numerous yeast starter should overpower this. Is this what I should do?

I believe you are thinking of Sorbate in the concentrate. Sulfites
probably won't cause any problems. Even if the concentrate has a high
ppm, you will dilute it before fermentation and yeast can tolerate
significant SO2 levels.

Andy

Dar V

Hello,
I have had some problems with getting Welch's frozen concentrate to ferment,
but I agree with the A.J., that sulfites wouldn't be enough to hold up
fermentation. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have had success once
I was aware that it could be a problem. Anyway, I don't ferment in a closed
container/w/bung & airlock anymore, I put all the ingredients in my 2 gallon
glass fermentation bowl and cover with plastic. The key to getting the must
to ferment completely is oxygen, and stirring the must 2 times a day, just
like you would if you were fermenting a must with fruit. I do use Montrachet
yeast, which is a fast working yeast, but there are some other hearty yeasts
out there. I just pour the yeast on top of the must. I also watch the must a
bit more than others and check the SG to make sure the wine does & continues
to ferment out completely.
Darlene