kiwi

Default Making Champagne

I'm looking for some information about making champagne... I'm thinking
of starting the process now for a wedding in a few years. Anyone know
of any webpages I can get some info from?

I've never made wine, but I have made beer and have all the supplies for
that.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

--
Matt

http://www.phishyphotos.com
rmp phamily album: http://www.recmusicphish.com
IM: DividedSky319
Mike

The yeast you'll probably need is S.cerevisiae Strain EC1118. Two brands
that I know of a

Gervin Varietal C (Gold label)
Lalvin EC-1118

This strain of yeast is (apparently) used for about 85% of all champgne
production. Is very easy to use (reletively speaking) and capable of over
18% alc/vol.

"kiwi" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for some information about making champagne... I'm thinking
> of starting the process now for a wedding in a few years. Anyone know
> of any webpages I can get some info from?
>
> I've never made wine, but I have made beer and have all the supplies for
> that.
>
> Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
>
> --
> Matt

http://www.phishyphotos.com
> rmp phamily album: http://www.recmusicphish.com
> IM: DividedSky319

Joe Sallustio

I use the Lalvin, it's a good secondary yeast for Champagne. I usually
start with either Lalvin D47 or 71B, depending on the grape.

Try here for info on sparkling wine, actually all winemaking.

http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/index.html

Joe

kiwi wrote:
> I'm looking for some information about making champagne... I'm

thinking
> of starting the process now for a wedding in a few years. Anyone

know
> of any webpages I can get some info from?
>
> I've never made wine, but I have made beer and have all the supplies

for
> that.
>
> Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Lum's site sets out the basic nicely. Here's some more indebt
information:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/viticultu...7/463-017.html

When you get to the bottling stage, I have some pretty good notes on
the latest additives taken from a lecture by David Munksgard, or you
can purchase a copy of the lecture given at the Midwest Grape and Wine
Conference in 2004 from SMS. I don't know that's it on their website,
but if you contact them I'm sure they can forward a copy of the
proceedings.

http://mtngrv.smsu.edu/mvec/index.htm

clyde

JEP62

kiwi wrote:
> I'm looking for some information about making champagne...

First buy a vineyard in the Champagne region of France.... :-) or just
accept that you can make a good sparkling wine, but not really
Champagne.

> I'm thinking of starting the process now for a wedding in a few

years.

Timing sounds about right. It really takes a couple of years at a
minimum.

> Anyone know of any webpages I can get some info from?

Lum does a pretty good job at

http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/

> I've never made wine, but I have made beer and have all the supplies

for
> that.

I found experience with bottle conditioning beers very helpful when
making sparkling wine. Just be aware, we are usually talking higher
levels of carbonation for sparkling wines than we use for beer.

> Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

I've done a couple of batches so not an expert but do have some
experience. After reading up a little, if you have any questions, fire
away.

Andy

Champagne! cshenk General Cooking 0 28-11-2009 05:25 PM
Making a Six-Figure Income From Passive / Money Making Tips itsFREEEE [email protected] General Cooking 0 26-11-2007 08:21 PM
Champagne Frank Mancuso Winemaking 8 01-12-2006 04:53 PM
Champagne-making instructions sought busygal Winemaking 7 16-10-2003 07:06 AM