Bob

Default Mystified....

Some of you may recall my dilemma with making a batch of Niagara that
was accidently made for 5 gallons but used the ingredients for 6.5 gallons.
Potential alcohol was about 21%! Anyway, it stopped fermenting with about
10% =unfermented= sugar.
Yesterday, I racked it into the 6.5 carboy, acidifed two gallons of
water and added yeast nutrient too. I mixed it all together and pitched in a
reconstituted pack of EC 1118 yeast.
Today, nada, zero, zilch. Sooooooooo, I added a few sticks of chalk in
case I had overacidifed. Well! They fizzed like =mad=, which has never
happened before. Is it possible I killed the new yeast by using too much
acid? Should I toss another pack in??? HELLLLPPPP!!!!!!
Blobert<><
--
"I'm not a hero, I'm not the savior; forget what you know,
I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control!"

J Dixon

Bob, The acid and any other additions react with the CO2 in solution causing
it to come out of solution. The same thing would have happened if you added
sugar, flour etc. Give it a few days to see if it gets going again, and if
not make a yeast starter. A description of how to restart a stuck
fermentation can be found on Jack Keller's site. EC 1118 is a good yeast for
this. HTH
John Dixon
"Bob" > wrote in message
> Some of you may recall my dilemma with making a batch of Niagara that
> was accidently made for 5 gallons but used the ingredients for 6.5

gallons.
> Potential alcohol was about 21%! Anyway, it stopped fermenting with about
> 10% =unfermented= sugar.
> Yesterday, I racked it into the 6.5 carboy, acidifed two gallons of
> water and added yeast nutrient too. I mixed it all together and pitched in

> reconstituted pack of EC 1118 yeast.
> Today, nada, zero, zilch. Sooooooooo, I added a few sticks of chalk in
> case I had overacidifed. Well! They fizzed like =mad=, which has never
> happened before. Is it possible I killed the new yeast by using too much
> acid? Should I toss another pack in??? HELLLLPPPP!!!!!!
> Blobert<><
> --
> "I'm not a hero, I'm not the savior; forget what you know,
> I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control!"
> -STYX- "Mr. Roboto"

J Dixon