John McBrewer

Default Cider question

Okay, Quick intro. I am John I like making 1 gal. batches of wine and
brewing beer. And I lurk and read posts here and now I guess it is my turn
to post a question. My next project (not counting my wines and beers) is to
try to make a standard apple cider. I am wanting to make one to enter in a
competition and the guidelines are strict. All I can use is apples! So, I
guess I have to uses natural yeast on the apples (or in them, not sure).
Does any one have any pointers, like steps in the process or recipes or an
online resource?

Thanks Guys,
John

J F

"John McBrewer" > wrote in message
> My next project (not counting my wines and beers) is to
> try to make a standard apple cider. I am wanting to make one to enter in a
> competition and the guidelines are strict. All I can use is apples! So, I
> guess I have to uses natural yeast on the apples (or in them, not sure).
> Does any one have any pointers, like steps in the process or recipes or an
> online resource?

Are you certain this contest is for a french style cider only? Yeasts on a
batch of apples small enough to fill a gallon batch would be very hard to
culture to fermernt before bacteria got a toe hold.

While a signle varietal cider can be done blending is the norm. Consider
adding 10% wild apples (crabs) to add of tannin and acid. If you are in the
UK or Europe just use traditional cider apples.

Consider pectin enzymes if you want to get a perfectly clear cider.

If you are pressing enough juice you can hold back(store in the freezer) 10%
of your juice volume to use as the sugar in the secondary ferment if you
want to make a sparkling cider. Or if you add yeast inhibitors, sweetner to
turn dry in to semi-dry to sweet cider.

While some people don't mind the sediment in the bottom, you can use
champagne bottles and follow a champagne method to produce a lovely
champagne cider.

STEPHEN PEEK

Use a good ale yeast. The BJCP guidelines are not so strict as to prohibit
the use of yeast.
Steve
"John McBrewer" > wrote in message
> Okay, Quick intro. I am John I like making 1 gal. batches of wine and
> brewing beer. And I lurk and read posts here and now I guess it is my turn
> to post a question. My next project (not counting my wines and beers) is
> try to make a standard apple cider. I am wanting to make one to enter in a
> competition and the guidelines are strict. All I can use is apples! So, I
> guess I have to uses natural yeast on the apples (or in them, not sure).
> Does any one have any pointers, like steps in the process or recipes or an
> online resource?
>
> Thanks Guys,
> John

STEPHEN PEEK

Use a good ale yeast. The BJCP guidelines are not so strict as to prohibit
the use of yeast.
Steve
"John McBrewer" > wrote in message
> Okay, Quick intro. I am John I like making 1 gal. batches of wine and
> brewing beer. And I lurk and read posts here and now I guess it is my turn
> to post a question. My next project (not counting my wines and beers) is
> try to make a standard apple cider. I am wanting to make one to enter in a
> competition and the guidelines are strict. All I can use is apples! So, I
> guess I have to uses natural yeast on the apples (or in them, not sure).
> Does any one have any pointers, like steps in the process or recipes or an
> online resource?
>
> Thanks Guys,
> John

John McBrewer

"STEPHEN PEEK" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Use a good ale yeast. The BJCP guidelines are not so strict as to prohibit
> the use of yeast.
> Steve
> "John McBrewer" > wrote in message
> > Okay, Quick intro. I am John I like making 1 gal. batches of wine and
> > brewing beer. And I lurk and read posts here and now I guess it is my

turn
> > to post a question. My next project (not counting my wines and beers) is
> > try to make a standard apple cider. I am wanting to make one to enter in

> > competition and the guidelines are strict. All I can use is apples! So,

> > guess I have to uses natural yeast on the apples (or in them, not sure).
> > Does any one have any pointers, like steps in the process or recipes or

an
> > online resource?
> >
> > Thanks Guys,
> > John

Here are the ingredient guidlines. It says you can use cultures yeast, does
that mean I can use any yeast?
Ingredients:

1) The apple and pear varieties are intended to illustrate commonly used
examples, not dictate requirements when making the style.

2) In general, adjuncts are prohibited except where specifically allowed in
particular styles, and then the entrant must state them. Common processing
aids, and enzymes, are generally allowed as long as they are not detectable
in the finished cider.

3) Yeast used for cider/perry may be either "natural" (the yeast which
occurs on the fruit itself and/or is retained in the milling and pressing
equipment) or cultured yeast. Malo-lactic fermentation is allowed, either
naturally occurring or with an added ML culture.

4) Enzymes may be used for clarification of the juice prior to fermentation.

5) Malic acid may be added to a low-acid juice to bring acidity up to a
level considered safe for avoiding bacterial contamination and off-flavors
(typically pH 3.8 or below). Entrant MUST state if malic acid was added.

6) Sulfites may be added as needed for microbiological control. If used, the
maximum accepted safe level for sulfites (200 mg/l) should be strictly
observed; moreover, any excess sulfite that is detectable in the finished
cider (a "burning match" character) is a serious fault.

7) Sorbate may be added at bottling to stabilize the cider. However, any
residual aroma/flavor from misuse or excessive use of sorbate (e.g., a
"geranium" note) is a distinct fault.

8) Carbonation may be either natural (by maintaining CO2 pressure through
processing or by bottle-conditioning) or added (by CO2 injection).

John McBrewer

"STEPHEN PEEK" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Use a good ale yeast. The BJCP guidelines are not so strict as to prohibit
> the use of yeast.
> Steve
> "John McBrewer" > wrote in message
> > Okay, Quick intro. I am John I like making 1 gal. batches of wine and
> > brewing beer. And I lurk and read posts here and now I guess it is my

turn
> > to post a question. My next project (not counting my wines and beers) is
> > try to make a standard apple cider. I am wanting to make one to enter in

> > competition and the guidelines are strict. All I can use is apples! So,

> > guess I have to uses natural yeast on the apples (or in them, not sure).
> > Does any one have any pointers, like steps in the process or recipes or

an
> > online resource?
> >
> > Thanks Guys,
> > John

Here are the ingredient guidlines. It says you can use cultures yeast, does
that mean I can use any yeast?
Ingredients:

1) The apple and pear varieties are intended to illustrate commonly used
examples, not dictate requirements when making the style.

2) In general, adjuncts are prohibited except where specifically allowed in
particular styles, and then the entrant must state them. Common processing
aids, and enzymes, are generally allowed as long as they are not detectable
in the finished cider.

3) Yeast used for cider/perry may be either "natural" (the yeast which
occurs on the fruit itself and/or is retained in the milling and pressing
equipment) or cultured yeast. Malo-lactic fermentation is allowed, either
naturally occurring or with an added ML culture.

4) Enzymes may be used for clarification of the juice prior to fermentation.

5) Malic acid may be added to a low-acid juice to bring acidity up to a
level considered safe for avoiding bacterial contamination and off-flavors
(typically pH 3.8 or below). Entrant MUST state if malic acid was added.

6) Sulfites may be added as needed for microbiological control. If used, the
maximum accepted safe level for sulfites (200 mg/l) should be strictly
observed; moreover, any excess sulfite that is detectable in the finished
cider (a "burning match" character) is a serious fault.

7) Sorbate may be added at bottling to stabilize the cider. However, any
residual aroma/flavor from misuse or excessive use of sorbate (e.g., a
"geranium" note) is a distinct fault.

8) Carbonation may be either natural (by maintaining CO2 pressure through
processing or by bottle-conditioning) or added (by CO2 injection).

Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 01:51 AM
Cider question J F Winemaking 15 23-03-2005 07:02 PM
Cider Red Ketchup Winemaking 5 02-03-2005 09:40 PM
Corney Keg / Cider question JXM2119 Winemaking 7 22-09-2004 10:55 PM
cider question and apple/squash request kalanamak General Cooking 3 03-11-2003 02:46 AM