Barry

Default Clearing from the bottom????

I have 3 gallons of a Plum wine that has been slow to clear. The last
time I racked it (4th time) was five weeks ago.

Tonight I used a little pen light to study it closely. The bottom 2
inches of the is quite nice, while the farther up I go it gets murkier
and murkier.

The flavor is just heavenly. We will certainly enjoy it, clear or not,
but I sure would like to figure out how to get whatever is in there to
drop out.

I used 3 tsp of Pectin Enzyme when I started the must, so am I right
in thinking it's likely not a pectin haze? What kind of stuff would
rise? There' not scum at the top, just a greater density of
cloudiness.
Ray Calvert

If the bottom of the carboy is clearer than the top then it is definitely
not settling. If you are sure it is not pectin then I would try superclear.
It is amazing and if it is going to work, you will know it in 24 hours.

Ray

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
>I have 3 gallons of a Plum wine that has been slow to clear. The last
> time I racked it (4th time) was five weeks ago.
>
> Tonight I used a little pen light to study it closely. The bottom 2
> inches of the is quite nice, while the farther up I go it gets murkier
> and murkier.
>
> The flavor is just heavenly. We will certainly enjoy it, clear or not,
> but I sure would like to figure out how to get whatever is in there to
> drop out.
>
> I used 3 tsp of Pectin Enzyme when I started the must, so am I right
> in thinking it's likely not a pectin haze? What kind of stuff would
> rise? There' not scum at the top, just a greater density of
> cloudiness.

Ray Calvert

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
>I have 3 gallons of a Plum wine that has been slow to clear. The last
> time I racked it (4th time) was five weeks ago.
>
> Tonight I used a little pen light to study it closely. The bottom 2
> inches of the is quite nice, while the farther up I go it gets murkier
> and murkier.
>
> The flavor is just heavenly. We will certainly enjoy it, clear or not,
> but I sure would like to figure out how to get whatever is in there to
> drop out.
>
> I used 3 tsp of Pectin Enzyme when I started the must, so am I right
> in thinking it's likely not a pectin haze? What kind of stuff would
> rise? There' not scum at the top, just a greater density of
> cloudiness.

Barry

Yes, I'm sure there is residual sugar.

There's no yeast activity. Signs of fermentation disappeared by the
end of June (5 months ago).

No trace of lees settlement since my last racking 5 weeks ago.

Superclear? I'll have to look into it.

Clearing out the freezer. graham[_4_] General Cooking 92 24-01-2017 07:23 AM
Help with Clearing Chardonnay Frank Bacon Winemaking 3 17-04-2007 05:57 PM
Clearing. Alan Gould Winemaking 11 02-08-2005 07:15 AM
Clearing out the cupboards Kate L Pugh Vegetarian cooking 5 16-01-2004 08:23 AM
Clearing red wine Negodki Winemaking 16 04-11-2003 03:53 AM