dawn

Default Corks and bottles

please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.

alien

dawn wrote:
> please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.

Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
find.
Bob

"alien" > wrote in message
> dawn wrote:
> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
> >

> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
> find.

The corker I use is a red plastic cylinder with a narrow funnel-shaped
hole in the bottom, a hole in the side, and a plunger on top. You pull the
plunger up, insert the cork, and place the corker on top of the bottle. Then
you slap the plunger down with your hand and it compresses the cork as it
squeezes it out the bottom and into the bottle, instantly. It was about 10
bucks and practically indestructible. It has never malfunctioned in any way.

Bob

"alien" > wrote in message
> dawn wrote:
> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
> >

> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
> find.

The corker I use is a red plastic cylinder with a narrow funnel-shaped
hole in the bottom, a hole in the side, and a plunger on top. You pull the
plunger up, insert the cork, and place the corker on top of the bottle. Then
you slap the plunger down with your hand and it compresses the cork as it
squeezes it out the bottom and into the bottle, instantly. It was about 10
bucks and practically indestructible. It has never malfunctioned in any way.

Bob

"alien" > wrote in message
> dawn wrote:
> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
> >

> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
> find.

The corker I use is a red plastic cylinder with a narrow funnel-shaped
hole in the bottom, a hole in the side, and a plunger on top. You pull the
plunger up, insert the cork, and place the corker on top of the bottle. Then
you slap the plunger down with your hand and it compresses the cork as it
squeezes it out the bottom and into the bottle, instantly. It was about 10
bucks and practically indestructible. It has never malfunctioned in any way.

Doug

A word of caution about using boiling water to "sterilize" corks.

When I first started making wine 30+ years ago, I did this too. I had
only a hand corker, and bought corks cut in a single piece from cork
oak, as that was about the only kind there was. The hot water
softened the corks, and I was able to get them into bottles reasonably
easily.

Now, however, most of the "corks" that are sold to home winemakers are
agglomerated (cork pieces glued together in a cylindrical shape) or
colmated (corks with a lot of irregularities, filled in with some sort
of patching substance). Putting either of those kinds of corks into
hot water for more than a few seconds is likely to deform them a lot,
to the point where they may not seal the bottle when you insert them.

If you are really buying premium, single-piece corks (easily twice the
cost of less-expensive "cork" closures), you can perhaps get away with
the hot water step. Even then, though, all of the cork industry
experts I've seen quoted recommend inserting the cork "dry"
(preferably with a floor corker). You should keep usused corks in a
sealed plastic bag (to prevent them from drying out), but no special
sanitizing or "sterilizing" steps should be necessary.

If you are going to try to save money by using anything less than
premium, single-piece corks, I would strongly recommend (a) putting
them in dry, and (b) using a floor corker. My Portuguese-model floor
corker is far and away the best investment I've made in my wine-making
career. That's my two cents.

Doug

alien > wrote in message >...
> dawn wrote:
> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
> >

> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
> find.

Doug

alien > wrote in message >...
> dawn wrote:
> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
> >

> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
> find.

pinky

I endorse entirely what Doug has said.
I too used to use all sorts of methods of softening and sterilisation but
was advised over 3 years ago ( by a representative of a Portuguese cork
manufacturer) to insert the corks "dry". Since that time I have had no
detrimental effects to any of my wine due to corking.
I also have had a Portuguese floor corker for over 4 years and it has given
me absolutely perfect service and is the best thing since they invented
"sliced bread". Apart from the ease of use and speedy rate of corking, it
also is immensely SAFE!
It is also very easy to keep clean.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Doug" > wrote in message
m...
>A word of caution about using boiling water to "sterilize" corks.

<snip><snip>

Ray Calvert

I agree also. Pouring boiling water over corks or soaking them for a few
min. in hot water is a great way to make leakers or encourage oxidation. I
know! I learned the hard way! You will not find a commercial vineyard that
does anything to their corks. Dump them out of the bag and use them. Do
not keep a surplus on hand for a long time unless you make a special storage
container for them. That is simply a sealed bucket with a bottle of
sulphite solution standing up in the container.

Ray

"pinky" > wrote in message
. uk...
>I endorse entirely what Doug has said.
> I too used to use all sorts of methods of softening and sterilisation but
> was advised over 3 years ago ( by a representative of a Portuguese cork
> manufacturer) to insert the corks "dry". Since that time I have had no
> detrimental effects to any of my wine due to corking.
> I also have had a Portuguese floor corker for over 4 years and it has
> given me absolutely perfect service and is the best thing since they
> invented "sliced bread". Apart from the ease of use and speedy rate of
> corking, it also is immensely SAFE!
> It is also very easy to keep clean.
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Doug" > wrote in message
> m...
>>A word of caution about using boiling water to "sterilize" corks.
>>

> <snip><snip>

Ray Calvert

I agree also. Pouring boiling water over corks or soaking them for a few
min. in hot water is a great way to make leakers or encourage oxidation. I
know! I learned the hard way! You will not find a commercial vineyard that
does anything to their corks. Dump them out of the bag and use them. Do
not keep a surplus on hand for a long time unless you make a special storage
container for them. That is simply a sealed bucket with a bottle of
sulphite solution standing up in the container.

Ray

"pinky" > wrote in message
. uk...
>I endorse entirely what Doug has said.
> I too used to use all sorts of methods of softening and sterilisation but
> was advised over 3 years ago ( by a representative of a Portuguese cork
> manufacturer) to insert the corks "dry". Since that time I have had no
> detrimental effects to any of my wine due to corking.
> I also have had a Portuguese floor corker for over 4 years and it has
> given me absolutely perfect service and is the best thing since they
> invented "sliced bread". Apart from the ease of use and speedy rate of
> corking, it also is immensely SAFE!
> It is also very easy to keep clean.
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Doug" > wrote in message
> m...
>>A word of caution about using boiling water to "sterilize" corks.
>>

> <snip><snip>

alien

Ray Calvert wrote:
> I agree also. Pouring boiling water over corks or soaking them for a few
> min. in hot water is a great way to make leakers or encourage oxidation. I
> know! I learned the hard way! You will not find a commercial vineyard that
> does anything to their corks. Dump them out of the bag and use them. Do
> not keep a surplus on hand for a long time unless you make a special storage
> container for them. That is simply a sealed bucket with a bottle of
> sulphite solution standing up in the container.
>
> Ray
>
> "pinky" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>
>>I endorse entirely what Doug has said.
>>I too used to use all sorts of methods of softening and sterilisation but
>>was advised over 3 years ago ( by a representative of a Portuguese cork
>>manufacturer) to insert the corks "dry". Since that time I have had no
>>detrimental effects to any of my wine due to corking.
>>I also have had a Portuguese floor corker for over 4 years and it has
>>given me absolutely perfect service and is the best thing since they
>>invented "sliced bread". Apart from the ease of use and speedy rate of
>>corking, it also is immensely SAFE!
>>It is also very easy to keep clean.
>>
>>--
>>Trevor A Panther
>>In South Yorkshire, England
>>Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
>>All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
>>Anti Virus for your protection too!
>>"Doug" > wrote in message
. com...

>>>A word of caution about using boiling water to "sterilize" corks.
>>>

>><snip><snip>

Ok, I'll bow to your experience and stop. I have a bagful of open
corks, kept at around 21C. They've been open for about 2 months. Worth
keeping if I wipe them down with sulphite solution and then store as
recommended?
alien

Ray Calvert wrote:
> I agree also. Pouring boiling water over corks or soaking them for a few
> min. in hot water is a great way to make leakers or encourage oxidation. I
> know! I learned the hard way! You will not find a commercial vineyard that
> does anything to their corks. Dump them out of the bag and use them. Do
> not keep a surplus on hand for a long time unless you make a special storage
> container for them. That is simply a sealed bucket with a bottle of
> sulphite solution standing up in the container.
>
> Ray
>
> "pinky" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>
>>I endorse entirely what Doug has said.
>>I too used to use all sorts of methods of softening and sterilisation but
>>was advised over 3 years ago ( by a representative of a Portuguese cork
>>manufacturer) to insert the corks "dry". Since that time I have had no
>>detrimental effects to any of my wine due to corking.
>>I also have had a Portuguese floor corker for over 4 years and it has
>>given me absolutely perfect service and is the best thing since they
>>invented "sliced bread". Apart from the ease of use and speedy rate of
>>corking, it also is immensely SAFE!
>>It is also very easy to keep clean.
>>
>>--
>>Trevor A Panther
>>In South Yorkshire, England
>>Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
>>All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
>>Anti Virus for your protection too!
>>"Doug" > wrote in message
. com...

>>>A word of caution about using boiling water to "sterilize" corks.
>>>

>><snip><snip>

Ok, I'll bow to your experience and stop. I have a bagful of open
corks, kept at around 21C. They've been open for about 2 months. Worth
keeping if I wipe them down with sulphite solution and then store as
recommended?
Henrique Ribeiro

Hi,

Depending on the corks you are buying, boil the corks is not a good
solution.
If the corks you are buying have surface treatment, usually parafin and
silicon, during the boiling process you will damage it.

If you need some more information about cork and cork stoppers please feel
free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Henrique Ribeiro
www.granotec.pt
www.jfs.pt

"Bob" > wrote in message
news

> "alien" > wrote in message
>> dawn wrote:
>> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
>> >

>> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
>> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
>> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
>> find.

> The corker I use is a red plastic cylinder with a narrow funnel-shaped
> hole in the bottom, a hole in the side, and a plunger on top. You pull the
> plunger up, insert the cork, and place the corker on top of the bottle.
> Then
> you slap the plunger down with your hand and it compresses the cork as it
> squeezes it out the bottom and into the bottle, instantly. It was about 10
> bucks and practically indestructible. It has never malfunctioned in any
> way.

Henrique Ribeiro

Hi,

Depending on the corks you are buying, boil the corks is not a good
solution.
If the corks you are buying have surface treatment, usually parafin and
silicon, during the boiling process you will damage it.

If you need some more information about cork and cork stoppers please feel
free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Henrique Ribeiro
www.granotec.pt
www.jfs.pt

"Bob" > wrote in message
news

> "alien" > wrote in message
>> dawn wrote:
>> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
>> >

>> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
>> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
>> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
>> find.

> The corker I use is a red plastic cylinder with a narrow funnel-shaped
> hole in the bottom, a hole in the side, and a plunger on top. You pull the
> plunger up, insert the cork, and place the corker on top of the bottle.
> Then
> you slap the plunger down with your hand and it compresses the cork as it
> squeezes it out the bottom and into the bottle, instantly. It was about 10
> bucks and practically indestructible. It has never malfunctioned in any
> way.

Henrique Ribeiro

Hi,

Depending on the corks you are buying, boil the corks is not a good
solution.
If the corks you are buying have surface treatment, usually parafin and
silicon, during the boiling process you will damage it.

If you need some more information about cork and cork stoppers please feel
free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Henrique Ribeiro
www.granotec.pt
www.jfs.pt

"Bob" > wrote in message
news

> "alien" > wrote in message
>> dawn wrote:
>> > please can someone let me know the best way to get corks into bottles.
>> >

>> Corking machine, basic hand corkers are very cheap. I pour boiling water
>> over corks to sterilise them, remove them after 2-3 minutes and then use
>> them, had no problems so far. I always buy the best quality corks I can
>> find.

> The corker I use is a red plastic cylinder with a narrow funnel-shaped
> hole in the bottom, a hole in the side, and a plunger on top. You pull the
> plunger up, insert the cork, and place the corker on top of the bottle.
> Then
> you slap the plunger down with your hand and it compresses the cork as it
> squeezes it out the bottom and into the bottle, instantly. It was about 10
> bucks and practically indestructible. It has never malfunctioned in any
> way.

Ray Calvert

Don't bother wiping them down. You cannot sterilize the inside of them
anyway. The problem with corks that have been open several months is that
they will start drying out.

Put them in a bucket that can be sealed. I use one of my unused primaries
that has a lid. Then put some sulphite solution in a bottle and put it in
the bucket such that it will not turn over but leave it open. Do not pour
any solution directly into the bucket. Then put your corks in the bucket
around the bottle and seal it. the evaporating solution will keep the corks
at the proper moisture level and prevent mold from growing. If the corks
are not too dry, they will rehydrate.

Ray

"alien" > wrote in message
> Ray Calvert wrote:
>> I agree also. Pouring boiling water over corks or soaking them for a few
>> min. in hot water is a great way to make leakers or encourage oxidation.
>> I know! I learned the hard way! You will not find a commercial vineyard
>> that does anything to their corks. Dump them out of the bag and use
>> them. Do not keep a surplus on hand for a long time unless you make a
>> special storage container for them. That is simply a sealed bucket with
>> a bottle of sulphite solution standing up in the container.
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> "pinky" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>>
>>>I endorse entirely what Doug has said.
>>>I too used to use all sorts of methods of softening and sterilisation but
>>>was advised over 3 years ago ( by a representative of a Portuguese cork
>>>manufacturer) to insert the corks "dry". Since that time I have had no
>>>detrimental effects to any of my wine due to corking.
>>>I also have had a Portuguese floor corker for over 4 years and it has
>>>given me absolutely perfect service and is the best thing since they
>>>invented "sliced bread". Apart from the ease of use and speedy rate of
>>>corking, it also is immensely SAFE!
>>>It is also very easy to keep clean.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Trevor A Panther
>>>In South Yorkshire, England
>>>Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
>>>All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
>>>Anti Virus for your protection too!
.com...