Jeff Chorniak

Default dormant oil spray on grape vines

I'm planning for spring. Have been reading about dormant oil sprays. Have
never applied it myself. Do any of the grape growers on this group use
dormant oil sprays? Is it advisable or not? Do you make your own? (I got a
recipe) or do you use commercial spray? I've read it being applied to
grapes. I wouldn't mind some feedback on this.

Jeff

Dwayne

Jeff, I learned about grapes from an expert in Arkansas and he told me the
only thing I had to spray for was fungus. He said spray Captain (pronounced
Captaan) on them in the spring. (don't hold me to the spelling of that
product.) He sprayed once a year, but sometimes I had to spray twice.

Normally the dormant spray is used to control borers and other insects that
grapes aren't normally bothered with. Again that will probably depend on
where you live.

I would ask my extension agent or get on the internet and type in growing
grapes. Then find a University in your area and click on that one. I have
learned a lot about grapes by doing that.

Dwayne

"Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message
> I'm planning for spring. Have been reading about dormant oil sprays. Have
> never applied it myself. Do any of the grape growers on this group use
> dormant oil sprays? Is it advisable or not? Do you make your own? (I got a
> recipe) or do you use commercial spray? I've read it being applied to
> grapes. I wouldn't mind some feedback on this.
>
> Jeff

Jeff Chorniak

Yes, I've read about Kaptan (sp?), and looked for it around here. Apparently
it's banned where I am. However, since my vineyard is small, I've been
pretty satisfied with Safers End All. It seems to do the job for most of the
pests here. Even so, I'm curious about the oil. Thanks for the reply.

Jeff

"Dwayne" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jeff, I learned about grapes from an expert in Arkansas and he told me the
> only thing I had to spray for was fungus. He said spray Captain

(pronounced
> Captaan) on them in the spring. (don't hold me to the spelling of that
> product.) He sprayed once a year, but sometimes I had to spray twice.

Dwayne

Use it. I dont see any harm it could cause, but I have never seen any bug
damage on any of my grapes I raised in Arkansas or Kansas.

Have fun.

Dwayne

"Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message
> I'm planning for spring. Have been reading about dormant oil sprays. Have
> never applied it myself. Do any of the grape growers on this group use
> dormant oil sprays? Is it advisable or not? Do you make your own? (I got a
> recipe) or do you use commercial spray? I've read it being applied to
> grapes. I wouldn't mind some feedback on this.
>
> Jeff

bob

Jeff,

Dormant oils "smother" fungus so they won't be around next year. If
you use them make sure you get GOOD coverage. THe chemical Captan (
right spelling ) is used for Phomopsis Cane and Downey Mildew. Those
are the disaeses it works BEST against that's why it's sprayed EARLY
next spring. I've heard it used for dormant sprays also. I'm surprised
its banned in your area. It's really quite safe. It's "days to
harvest" limitation is 0. I've read that if your worried about fungus
for new vines ,dip the vines in a 5% bleach solution in the spring
then rinse. I'm actually trying to find out whether I could spray my
vines with a bleach solution in spring. Maybe import the water from a
"public drinking" supply. being accostomed to GREAT well water
drinking public water tastes like a pool to me now.

Bob

Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message >...
> I'm planning for spring. Have been reading about dormant oil sprays. Have
> never applied it myself. Do any of the grape growers on this group use
> dormant oil sprays? Is it advisable or not? Do you make your own? (I got a
> recipe) or do you use commercial spray? I've read it being applied to
> grapes. I wouldn't mind some feedback on this.
>
> Jeff

Rob

"Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message >...
> Yes, I've read about Kaptan (sp?), and looked for it around here. Apparently
> it's banned where I am.

I am curious where you are that Captan is banned. It's generally
regarded as quite safe except for fish.
Jeff Chorniak

I could be wrong. But I seem to recall a visit to a local nursery chain
about a year ago, and was informed that they don't carry it because it is no
longer available to the retail home garden grower. The horticulturist there
told me it has been banned, etc. It might be still used in an industrial
agricultural level, but, even after checking today, haven't been able to
pick it up at a retailers.

If I'm dead set on it, I'll probably have to go to an industrial wholesaler.

In the mean time, I'm spraying my dorman rooted cuttings in cold storage
with a sulfur based fungicide.

Jeff

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...
> "Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message

> > Yes, I've read about Kaptan (sp?), and looked for it around here.

Apparently
> > it's banned where I am.

> I am curious where you are that Captan is banned. It's generally
> regarded as quite safe except for fish.

Jeff Chorniak

I could be wrong. But I seem to recall a visit to a local nursery chain
about a year ago, and was informed that they don't carry it because it is no
longer available to the retail home garden grower. The horticulturist there
told me it has been banned, etc. It might be still used in an industrial
agricultural level, but, even after checking today, haven't been able to
pick it up at a retailers.

If I'm dead set on it, I'll probably have to go to an industrial wholesaler.

In the mean time, I'm spraying my dorman rooted cuttings in cold storage
with a sulfur based fungicide.

Jeff

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...
> "Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message

> > Yes, I've read about Kaptan (sp?), and looked for it around here.

Apparently
> > it's banned where I am.

> I am curious where you are that Captan is banned. It's generally
> regarded as quite safe except for fish.

Sarge

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...
> "Jeff Chorniak" > wrote in message

> > Yes, I've read about Kaptan (sp?), and looked for it around here.

Apparently
> > it's banned where I am.

> I am curious where you are that Captan is banned. It's generally
> regarded as quite safe except for fish.

Jeff,
Captan is under a voluntary ban from juice and fresh market grape producers
NY and has been for some time. Here is an excerpt of some concerns:

..."The five pesticides cited by the UFW are dinoseb, methyl bromide,
phosdrin (mevinphos), parathion, and captan. Collectively, the chemicals
have been termed "the most lethal substances used in the growing of table
grapes" by UFW President Cesar Chavez."

.."public concern over food and environmental safety, whether justified or
not, is intensifying and changing the way Labrusca grape growers manage
their vineyard pests. Grape processors in the Lake Erie region process
grapes from across New York State and have taken a proactive approach to
consumer concerns over pesticides. Because Labrusca grapes are used
primarily in products (grape juices and jams) which have children as a major
part of their consumer base, consumer concern over pesticides have lead to a
voluntary ban of Captan use by growers who deliver to these processors. The
use of EBDC fungicides (Dithane, Penncozeb, Maneb, and Mancozeb) has been
restricted, by processors, on the period prior to the first sign of bloom to
eliminate the chance of residues being present at harvest."

IMHO it depends on your viewpoint. I find growers are completely blind to
the dangers of pesticides since they know their financial livelihood depends
on their spray program. The fact that their father, uncle whoever died of
cancer at a young age doesn't sink in. Conscientious consumers are appalled
by the liberal use of chemicals with few controls and very few independent
scientific studies on the effects.

Regardless you initially asked about dormant sprays - I don't see
conventional growers using dormant sprays on grapes the feeling is that it
is not economically feasible. However, organic producers seem to use
dormant sprays to try and get on top of pest issues. The most common
dormant sprays I have seen used on grapes are lime-sulfur or copper. These
are said to reduce overwintering inoculants of mildew, black rot, mites ...
Sarge

Sarge

m...