pp

Default isinglass woes

Hi:

I need some help on 2 Chardonnay kits that I fined 2 weeks ago with
liquid isinglass. Nothing happened, they're as "muddy" as they were if
not worse. One was started in Feb, the other in Apr. Both were cold
fermented, left on lees for 2 months, treated with bentonite about 3
months into their life and racked 1-2x. One of them has no CO2, the
other has quite a lot of it, which I've been removing with Vacuvin - I
understand this can be a factor, but the degassed batch is not
clearing either.

The basic question is whether I should just leave them alone or try to
fine some more - perhaps with kieselsol followed by dry isinglass or
maybe gelatin? I'm not pressured to finish them now but don't want to
leave the fining in the wine for too long - but then I have to get it
out of suspension first somehow.

I've read that liquid isinglass is less dependable than dry, is it
possible it deteriorated in the bottle before I used it? I had the
bottle for a while, but it was unopened until I used it on the Chards.

Thx,

Pp
Stephen SG

Give it time.

Take your own advice.

Time will tell.

SG

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
| Hi:
|
| I need some help on 2 Chardonnay kits that I fined 2 weeks ago with
| liquid isinglass. Nothing happened, they're as "muddy" as they were if
| not worse. One was started in Feb, the other in Apr. Both were cold
| fermented, left on lees for 2 months, treated with bentonite about 3
| months into their life and racked 1-2x. One of them has no CO2, the
| other has quite a lot of it, which I've been removing with Vacuvin - I
| understand this can be a factor, but the degassed batch is not
| clearing either.
|
| The basic question is whether I should just leave them alone or try to
| fine some more - perhaps with kieselsol followed by dry isinglass or
| maybe gelatin? I'm not pressured to finish them now but don't want to
| leave the fining in the wine for too long - but then I have to get it
| out of suspension first somehow.
|
| I've read that liquid isinglass is less dependable than dry, is it
| possible it deteriorated in the bottle before I used it? I had the
| bottle for a while, but it was unopened until I used it on the Chards.
|
| Thx,
|
| Pp

Stephen SG

Give it time.

Take your own advice.

Time will tell.

SG

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
| Hi:
|
| I need some help on 2 Chardonnay kits that I fined 2 weeks ago with
| liquid isinglass. Nothing happened, they're as "muddy" as they were if
| not worse. One was started in Feb, the other in Apr. Both were cold
| fermented, left on lees for 2 months, treated with bentonite about 3
| months into their life and racked 1-2x. One of them has no CO2, the
| other has quite a lot of it, which I've been removing with Vacuvin - I
| understand this can be a factor, but the degassed batch is not
| clearing either.
|
| The basic question is whether I should just leave them alone or try to
| fine some more - perhaps with kieselsol followed by dry isinglass or
| maybe gelatin? I'm not pressured to finish them now but don't want to
| leave the fining in the wine for too long - but then I have to get it
| out of suspension first somehow.
|
| I've read that liquid isinglass is less dependable than dry, is it
| possible it deteriorated in the bottle before I used it? I had the
| bottle for a while, but it was unopened until I used it on the Chards.
|
| Thx,
|
| Pp

Bob

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi:
>
> I need some help on 2 Chardonnay kits that I fined 2 weeks ago with
> liquid isinglass. Nothing happened, they're as "muddy" as they were if
> not worse. One was started in Feb, the other in Apr. Both were cold
> fermented, left on lees for 2 months, treated with bentonite about 3
> months into their life and racked 1-2x. One of them has no CO2, the
> other has quite a lot of it, which I've been removing with Vacuvin - I
> understand this can be a factor, but the degassed batch is not
> clearing either.
>
> The basic question is whether I should just leave them alone or try to
> fine some more - perhaps with kieselsol followed by dry isinglass or
> maybe gelatin? I'm not pressured to finish them now but don't want to
> leave the fining in the wine for too long - but then I have to get it
> out of suspension first somehow.
>
> I've read that liquid isinglass is less dependable than dry, is it
> possible it deteriorated in the bottle before I used it? I had the
> bottle for a while, but it was unopened until I used it on the Chards.
>
> Thx,
>
> Pp

It's stuff like this that has driven me away, screaming, from all the
products out there that are supposed to speed up the natural winemaking
process. Nothing ever works as advertized, and you wind up inserting so many
variables and so many products into what should be a simple thing like
winemaking, that it makes =me= go balmy....
One man's opinion!
Bob<><

Bob

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi:
>
> I need some help on 2 Chardonnay kits that I fined 2 weeks ago with
> liquid isinglass. Nothing happened, they're as "muddy" as they were if
> not worse. One was started in Feb, the other in Apr. Both were cold
> fermented, left on lees for 2 months, treated with bentonite about 3
> months into their life and racked 1-2x. One of them has no CO2, the
> other has quite a lot of it, which I've been removing with Vacuvin - I
> understand this can be a factor, but the degassed batch is not
> clearing either.
>
> The basic question is whether I should just leave them alone or try to
> fine some more - perhaps with kieselsol followed by dry isinglass or
> maybe gelatin? I'm not pressured to finish them now but don't want to
> leave the fining in the wine for too long - but then I have to get it
> out of suspension first somehow.
>
> I've read that liquid isinglass is less dependable than dry, is it
> possible it deteriorated in the bottle before I used it? I had the
> bottle for a while, but it was unopened until I used it on the Chards.
>
> Thx,
>
> Pp

It's stuff like this that has driven me away, screaming, from all the
products out there that are supposed to speed up the natural winemaking
process. Nothing ever works as advertized, and you wind up inserting so many
variables and so many products into what should be a simple thing like
winemaking, that it makes =me= go balmy....
One man's opinion!
Bob<><

Baconator Woes Kip Wingerz, Always With[_2_] General Cooking 5 18-03-2015 01:03 PM
Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 4 05-06-2007 10:14 PM
cooktop woes TammyM General Cooking 130 10-12-2006 01:53 AM
just added my isinglass k-dawg Winemaking 1 06-03-2006 06:15 PM
Isinglass equivalent solid to liquid form? Ben Rotter Winemaking 4 11-11-2003 02:06 PM