Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Plum Juice for wine

On Jul 14, 10:35*am, (rancher)
wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to convert pounds of fruit to gallons of juice?

Ben Rotter has collected a wealth of data on fruit (including average
juice yield):

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/

He reports getting 690 ml/kg of plums - that's about 12 lb/gallon

You might also consider starting with the juice, taking good
measurements of titratable acidity (TA) and specific gravity (SG), and
adjusting it to you desired TA and SG. My Wine Recipe Wizard can help:

http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/b...recipe-wizard/

Type in the TA, SG, and volume (in liters) of your juice. Then type in
the desired TA & SG of your must, hit the submit button and it will
recommend water, acid, and sugar syrup (2 parts sugar, 1 part water by
volume) additions.

Erroll
http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroll Ozgencil View Post
On Jul 14, 10:35*am, (rancher)
wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to convert pounds of fruit to gallons of juice?

Ben Rotter has collected a wealth of data on fruit (including average
juice yield):

Improved Winemaking

He reports getting 690 ml/kg of plums - that's about 12 lb/gallon

You might also consider starting with the juice, taking good
measurements of titratable acidity (TA) and specific gravity (SG), and
adjusting it to you desired TA and SG. My Wine Recipe Wizard can help:

Wine Recipe Wizard | Washington Winemaker

Type in the TA, SG, and volume (in liters) of your juice. Then type in
the desired TA & SG of your must, hit the submit button and it will
recommend water, acid, and sugar syrup (2 parts sugar, 1 part water by
volume) additions.

Erroll
Washington Winemaker
Are you using the plums to enhance a wine or making straight "plum wine?" If you hope to replicate the Serbian (much better than the Croat) Sliwovic (sp?), then use the plums whole and leave them that way in the carboy as primary fermentation carries out.

I've laways wanted to try making a plum Lambic.

apple juice amount & Plum prices alien Winemaking 7 13-08-2006 04:58 AM
Dar V ~ plum wine William Frazier Winemaking 6 30-11-2004 12:27 AM
plum wine surfbum Winemaking 6 27-07-2004 09:34 PM
Plum Wine [email protected] Winemaking 2 24-12-2003 12:42 AM
Plum wine from juice..question. [email protected] Winemaking 7 05-10-2003 05:43 PM