Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Mead Recipe

Any one have a can't miss recipe for mead? Got some extra honey this year.

TIA

JB
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 14, 7:50 pm, JB > wrote:
> Any one have a can't miss recipe for mead? Got some extra honey this year.
>
> TIA
>
> JB

Hey JB, what honey flavor do you have?
I have many recipes I will send you if you want a few.
Also join rec.crafts.meadmaking. Helpful and friendly people, like in
this group.

Dave Whitney
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 6/15/2010 9:01 PM, dave whitney wrote:
> On Jun 14, 7:50 pm, > wrote:
>> Any one have a can't miss recipe for mead? Got some extra honey this year.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> JB

> Hey JB, what honey flavor do you have?
> I have many recipes I will send you if you want a few.
> Also join rec.crafts.meadmaking. Helpful and friendly people, like in
> this group.
>
> Dave Whitney

Thanks Dave. I'll go see if my news groups provider carries that group
after I send this. My honey is from all around, nothing in particular
that I know of. I don't live near any agricultural crops or pasture
land. Got a nice flavor and light in color.

Thanks for the tip.

JB
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

dave whitney > wrote:
> JB > wrote:

>> Any one have a can't miss recipe for mead?
>> Got some extra honey this year.

> Hey JB, what honey flavor do you have?
> I have many recipes I will send you if you want a few.
> Also join rec.crafts.meadmaking. Helpful and friendly
> people, like in this group.

My friend Dave is on-target with rec.crafts.meadmaking.
Also check out GotMead.com for "Joe's Ancient Orange".
I've never made it, but those who have rave about it.
Be careful with the Cinnamon and Clove. A little too
much is way too much!

For a 5-gal batch, I'd start with 12 lbs of honey.
I pour the honey into the fermenter, add 2-1/2 gallons
of water at about 150 F, and stir it with a power drill.
Then I fill to the 5 gal mark will water that's been in
the fridge overnight.

After you pitch the yeast, add 2-1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient
and gently stir daily. Add 1-1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient at
the 1/3rd and 2/3rd breakpoints.

Add fruit, herbs, or spices in the secondary.

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 16, 10:21 pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
> dave whitney > wrote:
> > JB > wrote:
> >> Any one have a can't miss recipe for mead?
> >> Got some extra honey this year.

> > Hey JB, what honey flavor do you have?
> > I have many recipes I will send you if you want a few.
> > Also join rec.crafts.meadmaking. Helpful and friendly
> > people, like in this group.

> My friend Dave is on-target with rec.crafts.meadmaking.
> Also check out GotMead.com for "Joe's Ancient Orange".
> I've never made it, but those who have rave about it.
> Be careful with the Cinnamon and Clove. A little too
> much is way too much!
>
> For a 5-gal batch, I'd start with 12 lbs of honey.
> I pour the honey into the fermenter, add 2-1/2 gallons
> of water at about 150 F, and stir it with a power drill.
> Then I fill to the 5 gal mark will water that's been in
> the fridge overnight.
>
> After you pitch the yeast, add 2-1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient
> and gently stir daily. Add 1-1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient at
> the 1/3rd and 2/3rd breakpoints.
>
> Add fruit, herbs, or spices in the secondary.
>
> Dick

Hey Dick,
Excellent instructions. 12lbs is about 1 gallon +/- .
Use a hydrometer to gage for alcohol content and yeast pairing.
You have many yeast options that can be paired with the ingredients.
I will also lookup the orange recipe.

Dave Whitney

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 6/16/2010 9:21 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
> dave > wrote:
>> > wrote:

> My friend Dave is on-target with rec.crafts.meadmaking.
> Also check out GotMead.com for "Joe's Ancient Orange".
> I've never made it, but those who have rave about it.
> Be careful with the Cinnamon and Clove. A little too
> much is way too much!

I went to the GotMead.com site and tried to view the recipe for Joe's
Ancient Orange but it wouldn't let me view it unless I registered. I
tried to register but something must be wrong with the site today. I'll
try again later.

Thanks for the tips.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Go to www.winepress.us and the meadmaking section. There are several pages
discussing JAO.
Steve

"JB" > wrote in message

>> My friend Dave is on-target with rec.crafts.meadmaking.
>> Also check out GotMead.com for "Joe's Ancient Orange".
>> I've never made it, but those who have rave about it.
>> Be careful with the Cinnamon and Clove. A little too
>> much is way too much!

> I went to the GotMead.com site and tried to view the recipe for Joe's
> Ancient Orange but it wouldn't let me view it unless I registered. I tried
> to register but something must be wrong with the site today. I'll try
> again later.
>
> Thanks for the tips.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

JB wrote:
I went to the GotMead.com site and tried to view the recipe for Joe's
Ancient Orange but it wouldn't let me view it unless I registered. I
tried to register but something must be wrong with the site today.
I'll
try again later.

JB go to GotMead site, open recipes section. You will be presented
with
another page with 3-4 different sections, 1st one is "trusted", the
second one
is the one you want. Has links in the description. Click on " 234
recipes",
they are in alphabetical order. I had alittle trouble at first
navigating the site.
was going to copy and paste, but it is a long instructable.

Hope it helps.
DW
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jun 19, 12:16*pm, dave whitney > wrote:
> JB wrote:
>
> *I went to the GotMead.com site and tried to view the recipe for Joe's
> *Ancient Orange but it wouldn't let me view it unless I registered. I
> *tried to register but something must be wrong with the site today.
> I'll
> *try again later.
>
> JB go to GotMead site, open recipes section. You will be presented
> with
> another page with 3-4 different sections, 1st one is "trusted", the
> second one
> is the one you want. Has links in the description. Click on " 234
> recipes",
> they are in alphabetical order. I had alittle trouble at first
> navigating the site.
> was going to copy and paste, but it is a long instructable.
>
> Hope it helps.
> DW

The best mead I ever made was a rose mead. For each gallon of water, I
added two pounds of honey and a pint of white rose petals.