Gabriel

Default Toxicity of Sodium Metabisulphite

I use a sodium metabisulphite solution (50 g / 4 l) to sanitize my carboys,
racking tube, etc and I find that I react very strongly - sneezing,
heaviness in chest, etc - to it. Is this an allergic reaction? how toxic is
this stuff ? My room is not very well ventilated but all the same I am
surprised at how it affects me. Anyone else have any experiences like this
or suggestions to offer?

Gabriel

Tom S

"Gabriel" > wrote in message

> I use a sodium metabisulphite solution (50 g / 4 l) to sanitize my

carboys,
> racking tube, etc and I find that I react very strongly - sneezing,
> heaviness in chest, etc - to it. Is this an allergic reaction? how toxic

is
> this stuff ? My room is not very well ventilated but all the same I am
> surprised at how it affects me. Anyone else have any experiences like this
> or suggestions to offer?

Sulfite solution affects everyone in that way, but some to a greater degree.
The stuff releases SO2 gas, which in small doses is an irritant but in
larger doses can be considered poisonous. Use it with adequate ventilation
or wear a mask made for the purpose. BTW, don't leave the solution on your
hands for an extended time because it's rather alkaline and isn't good for
your skin.

Tom S

Tom S

Question on toxicity Paul Winemaking 8 09-01-2009 07:30 PM
metabisulphite solution question Paul Winemaking 1 27-09-2008 03:10 PM
Reaction to potassium metabisulphite Adam Preble Winemaking 5 09-05-2006 04:19 PM
Too Much Metabisulphite??? gwtx2 Winemaking 4 02-03-2005 12:02 AM
Metabisulphite needed? MarkW Winemaking 1 19-02-2004 09:43 PM