Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default prunings

I've just collected all the prunings from my vineyard to burn them.

Is it wise to put the ashes back into the soil?
Logic says that you're putting back the nutrients taken away from the
vine.
However ash may reduce the acidity of the soil.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
fishziblu > wrote:

> I've just collected all the prunings from my vineyard to burn them.
>
> Is it wise to put the ashes back into the soil?
> Logic says that you're putting back the nutrients taken away from the
> vine.
> However ash may reduce the acidity of the soil.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

The French wine growers dry the canes and use them to cook vegetables
and thin slices of meat on a grill about 6" above the ground. They claim
that it gives the food a distinctive taste.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Grapevines are the 2nd best wood to cook with besides mesquite.

On Mar 2, 4:39*pm, Wildbilly > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *fishziblu > wrote:
> > I've just collected all the prunings from my vineyard to burn them.

> > Is it wise to put the ashes back into the soil?
> > Logic says that you're putting back the nutrients taken away from the
> > vine.
> > However ash may reduce the acidity of the soil.

> > Any ideas?

> > Thanks

> The French wine growers dry the canes and use them to cook vegetables
> and thin slices of meat on a grill about 6" above the ground. They claim
> that it gives the food a distinctive taste.
> --
> "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
> merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...1/19/headlines

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Spread the ashes over the vineyard. The effect will be so negligible
as to not even warrant a second thought. BTW, what I do is leave them
on the ground then cover them with mulch to keep the fungus from
spreading. Works great..

.. The On Mar 2, 4:21*pm, fishziblu > wrote:
> I've just collected all the prunings from my vineyard to burn them.
>
> Is it wise to put the ashes back into the soil?
> Logic says that you're putting back the nutrients taken away from the
> vine.
> However ash may reduce the acidity of the soil.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 2, 3:21*pm, fishziblu > wrote:
> I've just collected all the prunings from my vineyard to burn them.
>
> Is it wise to put the ashes back into the soil?
> Logic says that you're putting back the nutrients taken away from the
> vine.
> However ash may reduce the acidity of the soil.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Wood ashes of any kind add potassium to the soil. It is one of the
most important nutrients for grapes, so it is fine to do that.

Stephen