Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Refermentation

Hi to all,

I have a wine which is now 1.5 years old, however due to poor
misjudjement the alcohol content in it is quite low. The taste is
good and there is no apparent spoilage. However, the lack of alcohol
does retract from the overall taste. The wine is now bottled.

I need to add sugar, allow it to referment in appropriate bottles. And
drink it immediately as sparkling wine.
Can I just add sugar to referment it to proper levels? And how much
could I leave it for it to referment?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi
Let me rephrase the question.

Does yeast die after 1.5 years with alcohol not reaching 10%?
Or do I need to add a small amount of yeast?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
fishziblu > wrote:

> Hi
> Let me rephrase the question.
>
> Does yeast die after 1.5 years with alcohol not reaching 10%?
> Or do I need to add a small amount of yeast?

As I said, I think refermenting is bad idea, but yeah, the little
critters haven't eaten for a year and a half and have gone to join the
choir invisible, and rung down the final curtain (SO2 is bacteriostatic,
it jams the yeast up somethin' wonderful). You'll need to add more
yeast, and yeast nutrient (raisins will do. I'd think a hand full per
gallon would be sufficient. Maybe some diammonium phosphate [DAP] as
well).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines