Hoss

Default what are you all using for your wine notes - blogs - etc.?

All,

I have just been scribbling away on notebook paper and postits and
scrambling around at this. Typically, I write down dates, amounts,
any adjustments to recipe, and SG readings, type of yeast. I find
that without a good template, I am susceptible to missing something.

I just haven't gotten around to making a tracking spreadsheet or
anything yet, and was wondering what you people are doing and what you
had successes with and what you didn't.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

R-D-C

Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?

I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be an
interesting little project.

"Hoss" > wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have just been scribbling away on notebook paper and postits and
> scrambling around at this. Typically, I write down dates, amounts,
> any adjustments to recipe, and SG readings, type of yeast. I find
> that without a good template, I am susceptible to missing something.
>
> I just haven't gotten around to making a tracking spreadsheet or
> anything yet, and was wondering what you people are doing and what you
> had successes with and what you didn't.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg

R-D-C

"Hoss" > wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have just been scribbling away on notebook paper and postits and
> scrambling around at this. Typically, I write down dates, amounts,
> any adjustments to recipe, and SG readings, type of yeast. I find
> that without a good template, I am susceptible to missing something.
>
> I just haven't gotten around to making a tracking spreadsheet or
> anything yet, and was wondering what you people are doing and what you
> had successes with and what you didn't.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg

Droopy

Hoss > wrote in message >. ..
> All,
>
> I have just been scribbling away on notebook paper and postits and
> scrambling around at this. Typically, I write down dates, amounts,
> any adjustments to recipe, and SG readings, type of yeast. I find
> that without a good template, I am susceptible to missing something.
>
> I just haven't gotten around to making a tracking spreadsheet or
> anything yet, and was wondering what you people are doing and what you
> had successes with and what you didn't.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg

I use excel for all my winemaking/brewing/meadmaking. I have never
found the need for specialized software.
Droopy

Hoss > wrote in message >. ..
> All,
>
> I have just been scribbling away on notebook paper and postits and
> scrambling around at this. Typically, I write down dates, amounts,
> any adjustments to recipe, and SG readings, type of yeast. I find
> that without a good template, I am susceptible to missing something.
>
> I just haven't gotten around to making a tracking spreadsheet or
> anything yet, and was wondering what you people are doing and what you
> had successes with and what you didn't.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg

I use excel for all my winemaking/brewing/meadmaking. I have never
found the need for specialized software.

A. J. Rawls

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:54:05 -0400, Hoss > wrote:

>All,
>
>I have just been scribbling away on notebook paper and postits and
>scrambling around at this. Typically, I write down dates, amounts,
>any adjustments to recipe, and SG readings, type of yeast. I find
>that without a good template, I am susceptible to missing something.
>
>I just haven't gotten around to making a tracking spreadsheet or
>anything yet, and was wondering what you people are doing and what you
>had successes with and what you didn't.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Greg

Try here
http://www.chadandtrish.com/winelog/

MikeMTM

Hoss,

Attached is the sheet I use. I simply photocopy a bunch & keep them in a
binder. The original was posted on this Group, but I modified it to suit
my needs. I hope it gives you ideas.

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

Attached Thumbnails
what are you all using for your wine notes - blogs - etc.?-wine-log-sheet.jpg
Jack Keller

Greg, I have a template posted at
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/log.asp that may or may not meet your
needs. Certainly you can modify it to suit your own needs.

I have tried several software solutions and quickly abandoned each. I
would rather carry a sheet of paper into the kitchen that a laptop.
Jotting down "1.090" with a pencil is far easier (and faster) than
scrolling down to a line, over to an entry field and typing in the
number. Plus, my log sheets are easily organized (alphabetically) in
three-ring binders and from them can be retrieved faster than I can
type a query. But, admittedly, this is just my own preference.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Hoss

Thanks, Jack, and everyone who responded.

I don't know that I want to use a program either, though databasing
the results would be the way to go. I like the pen and paper idea, and
will later enter the results into the computer, I think in an excel
form and there I can easily calculate for different sized batches,
without my own blunders added in!

I like the reference you have on your page, and will likely use some
adaptation of this for my template.

And if I haven't said it before, thank you very much for having one of
the best reference pages on the net for country wines. It is a wealth
of information for a beginner like me, and the recipes posted will
keep me busy for years to come.

Thanks again,
Greg

On 18 Oct 2004 10:03:55 -0700, (Jack Keller)
wrote:

>Greg, I have a template posted at

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/log.asp that may or may not meet your
>needs. Certainly you can modify it to suit your own needs.
>
>I have tried several software solutions and quickly abandoned each. I
>would rather carry a sheet of paper into the kitchen that a laptop.
>Jotting down "1.090" with a pencil is far easier (and faster) than
>scrolling down to a line, over to an entry field and typing in the
>number. Plus, my log sheets are easily organized (alphabetically) in
>three-ring binders and from them can be retrieved faster than I can
>type a query. But, admittedly, this is just my own preference.
>
>Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
>http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Hoss

wrote:

>Greg, I have a template posted at

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/log.asp that may or may not meet your
>needs. Certainly you can modify it to suit your own needs.
>
>I have tried several software solutions and quickly abandoned each. I
>would rather carry a sheet of paper into the kitchen that a laptop.
>Jotting down "1.090" with a pencil is far easier (and faster) than
>scrolling down to a line, over to an entry field and typing in the
>number. Plus, my log sheets are easily organized (alphabetically) in
>three-ring binders and from them can be retrieved faster than I can
>type a query. But, admittedly, this is just my own preference.
>
>Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
>http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Lazy Hill Wineries

A. J. Rawls > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:54:05 -0400, Hoss > wrote:
>

> Try here
> http://www.chadandtrish.com/winelog/

Thanks for the plug A.J.! I wrote this program for the reason that I
needed a good way to keep track of all of my notes. I kept scribbling
notes on scraps of paper in my wine room and then would invariably
lose them. I use MS Access as a backend, however you do not need
Access installed to use Lazy Hill Wine Log. Please feel free to send
me any suggestions or enhancement requests.

Chad Harvey
Lazy HIll Wine Log
http://www.chadandtrish.com/winelog
Lazy Hill Wineries

A. J. Rawls > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:54:05 -0400, Hoss > wrote:
>

> Try here
> http://www.chadandtrish.com/winelog/

Thanks for the plug A.J.! I wrote this program for the reason that I
needed a good way to keep track of all of my notes. I kept scribbling
notes on scraps of paper in my wine room and then would invariably
lose them. I use MS Access as a backend, however you do not need
Access installed to use Lazy Hill Wine Log. Please feel free to send
me any suggestions or enhancement requests.

Chad Harvey
Lazy HIll Wine Log
http://www.chadandtrish.com/winelog
alien

R-D-C wrote:
> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>
> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be an
> interesting little project.

I'd probably be interested in working on this too if you want some help.
alien

R-D-C wrote:
> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>
> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be an
> interesting little project.

I'd probably be interested in working on this too if you want some help.

R-D-C

It's all about requirements for me. What do you develop in?

For me its all C#.NET / SQL Server at the moment. (We are an MS Gold
Partner so alternatives to MS can be frowned upon, LOL)

"alien" > wrote in message
> R-D-C wrote:
>> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>>
>> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
>> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
>> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be
>> an interesting little project.
>>

> I'd probably be interested in working on this too if you want some help.

R-D-C

"alien" > wrote in message
> R-D-C wrote:
>> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>>
>> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
>> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
>> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be
>> an interesting little project.
>>

> I'd probably be interested in working on this too if you want some help.

alien

C/C++ mainly, though if pushed I can do php or perl. I'm interested in
moving to c# through mono on Linux. It's been a while since I've done
any coding and am a bit slow right now.

R-D-C wrote:
> It's all about requirements for me. What do you develop in?
>
> For me its all C#.NET / SQL Server at the moment. (We are an MS Gold
> Partner so alternatives to MS can be frowned upon, LOL)
>
> "alien" > wrote in message
>
>>R-D-C wrote:
>>
>>>Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>>>
>>>I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
>>>really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
>>>first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be
>>>an interesting little project.
>>>

>>I'd probably be interested in working on this too if you want some help.

alien

R-D-C wrote:
> It's all about requirements for me. What do you develop in?
>
> For me its all C#.NET / SQL Server at the moment. (We are an MS Gold
> Partner so alternatives to MS can be frowned upon, LOL)
>
> "alien" > wrote in message
>
>>R-D-C wrote:
>>
>>>Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>>>
>>>I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
>>>really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
>>>first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be
>>>an interesting little project.
>>>

>>I'd probably be interested in working on this too if you want some help.

pp

"R-D-C" > wrote in message >...
> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>
> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be an
> interesting little project.

Take a look also at Amphora Wine Log at www.fermsoft.com, no point in
reinventing the wheel.

Pp

pp

"R-D-C" > wrote in message >...
> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>
> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be an
> interesting little project.

Take a look also at Amphora Wine Log at www.fermsoft.com, no point in
reinventing the wheel.

Pp
Rob

I kept notes in a notebook for a couple of years, then made a table in
Word based on what I kept recording as important. Still use the back
for other notes - tracking fermentation, etc - that might be more
particular to a single wine.

I even went so far as to make something similar for our friends who
grow their own grapes so that they could track the growth process and
sugar/acid development.

Rob

R-D-C

....unless it is a fun job to do ;-)

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Do you think there may be a need for some software for this?
>>
>> I am a developer and thought about putting something together but wasn't
>> really sure what would be useful. I need to learn more about the hobby
>> first I guess but if you have some idea of the requirements it might be
>> an
>> interesting little project.
>>

> Take a look also at Amphora Wine Log at www.fermsoft.com, no point in
> reinventing the wheel.
>
> Pp

Wine with Pizza tasting notes Godzilla Monster Wine 9 14-09-2009 03:17 PM
2 notes re wine stems DaleW Wine 0 26-12-2007 09:29 PM
Wine notes and 4 llc vintages John T Wine 4 22-01-2007 07:54 AM
databasing wine notes Tom Wine 12 16-12-2006 08:48 PM
Oz Wine Notes Bill Spohn Wine 3 10-12-2004 02:35 PM