spud

Default 187ml bottles

Hello:

A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.

These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?

Any pointers where I might find this info would be appreciated or does
anyone have experience with these bottles they could pass along?

TIA!

Steve
Oregon

William Frazier

Save the tops. Reuse them. Wrap some electrical or duct tape around the
cap and neck and that should work. I used to buy jug wine in gallons, pour
into 750ml bottles, stick a used cork in and wrap with tape. The wine kept
just fine for the short time I stored it that way.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.
>
> These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
> a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
> might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?
>
> Any pointers where I might find this info would be appreciated or does
> anyone have experience with these bottles they could pass along?
>
> TIA!
>
> Steve
> Oregon

William Frazier

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.
>
> These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
> a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
> might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?
>
> Any pointers where I might find this info would be appreciated or does
> anyone have experience with these bottles they could pass along?
>
> TIA!
>
> Steve
> Oregon

Doug Miller

In article >, spud > wrote:
>These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
>a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
>might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?

Forget trying to cork a screw-top bottle -- typically, the necks of screw-top
bottles are made of *much* thinner glass than the necks of cork finish
bottles, and won't stand up to the mechanical stresses of being corked. Not to
mention, the necks are not straight on the inside, so a cork won't make a very
good seal anyway, even if you can get it in there without busting the bottle.

Have you Googled for sources of screw closures? I'm sure they're not all that
hard to find. If you can't find what you want from beer- and wine-making
suppliers, you could try atkinsonmaple.com -- they sell supplies for bottling
maple syrup, and I imagine some of their screw closures would fit your
bottles.
Doug Miller

In article >, spud > wrote:
>These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
>a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
>might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?

Forget trying to cork a screw-top bottle -- typically, the necks of screw-top
bottles are made of *much* thinner glass than the necks of cork finish
bottles, and won't stand up to the mechanical stresses of being corked. Not to
mention, the necks are not straight on the inside, so a cork won't make a very
good seal anyway, even if you can get it in there without busting the bottle.

Have you Googled for sources of screw closures? I'm sure they're not all that
hard to find. If you can't find what you want from beer- and wine-making
suppliers, you could try atkinsonmaple.com -- they sell supplies for bottling
maple syrup, and I imagine some of their screw closures would fit your
bottles.

Doug Miller

In article >, spud > wrote:
>These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
>a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
>might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?

Forget trying to cork a screw-top bottle -- typically, the necks of screw-top
bottles are made of *much* thinner glass than the necks of cork finish
bottles, and won't stand up to the mechanical stresses of being corked. Not to
mention, the necks are not straight on the inside, so a cork won't make a very
good seal anyway, even if you can get it in there without busting the bottle.

Have you Googled for sources of screw closures? I'm sure they're not all that
hard to find. If you can't find what you want from beer- and wine-making
suppliers, you could try atkinsonmaple.com -- they sell supplies for bottling
maple syrup, and I imagine some of their screw closures would fit your
bottles.
Tom S

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.
>
> These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
> a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
> might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?

I'm with Bill on this one. Just clean and reuse the original caps.

Tom S

Tom S

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.
>
> These cute little bottles have a screw top and I would like to locate
> a source for replacement tops. Or alternatively what size of cork
> might fit a neck with 16.85mm ID (0.664" ID)?

I'm with Bill on this one. Just clean and reuse the original caps.

Tom S

spud

Well I stuffed a couple of No. 9's in two of them and neither broke,
but they came out prety hard.

Saved the screw caps, but not all of the bottles had one when I picked
them up this am. I DAGS and haven't been sure that the replacement
caps I've seen would work for these bottles.

Might try some 7's and some 8's, see if I can make them leak before I
give up on corks.

Thank you,

Steve
Oregon

Joe Sallustio

Presque Isle sells 187 ml bottles that take a crown cap. I would reuse
the old ones too.
Joe

spud > wrote in message >. ..
> Well I stuffed a couple of No. 9's in two of them and neither broke,
> but they came out prety hard.
>
> Saved the screw caps, but not all of the bottles had one when I picked
> them up this am. I DAGS and haven't been sure that the replacement
> caps I've seen would work for these bottles.
>
> Might try some 7's and some 8's, see if I can make them leak before I
> give up on corks.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Steve
> Oregon

Joe Sallustio

spud > wrote in message >. ..
> Well I stuffed a couple of No. 9's in two of them and neither broke,
> but they came out prety hard.
>
> Saved the screw caps, but not all of the bottles had one when I picked
> them up this am. I DAGS and haven't been sure that the replacement
> caps I've seen would work for these bottles.
>
> Might try some 7's and some 8's, see if I can make them leak before I
> give up on corks.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Steve
> Oregon

spud

Hello:

Thanks for the help and thougths folks. As always it's appreciated!

Steve
Oregon

>A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.

spud

Hello:

Thanks for the help and thougths folks. As always it's appreciated!

Steve
Oregon

>A local tavern has Sutter wines in 187ml bottles for it's patrons.

Ray Calvert

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Save the tops. Reuse them. Wrap some electrical or duct tape around the
> cap and neck and that should work. I used to buy jug wine in gallons,
> pour
> into 750ml bottles, stick a used cork in and wrap with tape. The wine
> kept
> just fine for the short time I stored it that way.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "spud" > wrote in message
>> Hello:

So basically you were buying bulk aging wine and then bottling it. That is
something I had not thought of. Of course now I have so much bulk aging
wine of my own I would not need to!

I use the small bottles (185 and 375) when I open a 750 and do not finish
it. They work great.

Ray

Ray Calvert