Rob

Default Chemetrics titrets -- no flow (or "do these things actually work?")

I am halfway through a pack of 10 of these titrets and I haven't had
one work at all the way the instructions indicate. I understand the
broken off bulb tip is suppose to make some sort of squeeze valve, but
nothing ever flows up the hard plastic sample tube.

The basic problem is one of flow. I can never get wine to flow into
the ampoule. I have also seen the pictures at
<http://www.chemetrics.com/titrets.html>. No help there.

Suggestions? I am not using the titretor and was told by several wine
friends that it is unnecessary.
Ed Marks

I think you're squeezing in the wrong place - the broken off bulb tip
doesn't make a squeeze valve. The valve is built into the flexible tubing
that you push over the end of the titret, just above the hard plastic tube.
It looks like a small, clear ball in the tube. Squeeze there and it should
work.

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...
>I am halfway through a pack of 10 of these titrets and I haven't had
> one work at all the way the instructions indicate. I understand the
> broken off bulb tip is suppose to make some sort of squeeze valve, but
> nothing ever flows up the hard plastic sample tube.
>
> The basic problem is one of flow. I can never get wine to flow into
> the ampoule. I have also seen the pictures at
> <http://www.chemetrics.com/titrets.html>. No help there.
>

> Suggestions? I am not using the titretor and was told by several wine
> friends that it is unnecessary.

Ed Marks

I think you're squeezing in the wrong place - the broken off bulb tip
doesn't make a squeeze valve. The valve is built into the flexible tubing
that you push over the end of the titret, just above the hard plastic tube.
It looks like a small, clear ball in the tube. Squeeze there and it should
work.

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...
>I am halfway through a pack of 10 of these titrets and I haven't had
> one work at all the way the instructions indicate. I understand the
> broken off bulb tip is suppose to make some sort of squeeze valve, but
> nothing ever flows up the hard plastic sample tube.
>
> The basic problem is one of flow. I can never get wine to flow into
> the ampoule. I have also seen the pictures at
> <http://www.chemetrics.com/titrets.html>. No help there.
>

> Suggestions? I am not using the titretor and was told by several wine
> friends that it is unnecessary.

Miker

I have the same trouble about half the time - no matter which part of
the tube I squeeze. I sometimes end up breaking the top off and
squirting wine down into the vial. I really hate using them. Too bad
there's not a better product out there for these tests.

Brewser83

Having the titrettor is not a necessity. However many winemaking items are not
"necessities" i.e. hydrometer, racking tube, bottle filler etc. Spring for
the titrettor. It's only 5 bucks. (less than the cost of a few wasted
ampuoles.)