sgbrix

Default Buying grapes in Napa next week, could use some help.

Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
Napa, any suggestions?

I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
reds.

If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
for the info. Email me direct if you like.

SG Brix
Tom S

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> Napa, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> reds.
>
> If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> for the info.

I assume you're looking for Cabernet primarily - otherwise why Napa?

If it's Cab you want, you can't do better than Napa - especially Oakville
and Rutherford. OTOH, if you're looking for Zin, Syrah or Pinot Noir (just
to name a few) there are other areas that are as good or better than Napa.
If you're looking for good Chardonnay I'd rank Napa about my 5th choice -
behind Santa Barbara County, Santa Cruz, Monterey and Russian River (going
from South to North).

We could debate this ad nauseum, but the bottom line is that you'll pay a
lot more for non-Cabernet fruit in Napa and very possibly not get as good
quality as elsewhere.

Tom S

P.S. - My runner up choices for Cabernet are Alexander Valley and Paso
Robles.

Tom S

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> Napa, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> reds.
>
> If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> for the info.

I assume you're looking for Cabernet primarily - otherwise why Napa?

If it's Cab you want, you can't do better than Napa - especially Oakville
and Rutherford. OTOH, if you're looking for Zin, Syrah or Pinot Noir (just
to name a few) there are other areas that are as good or better than Napa.
If you're looking for good Chardonnay I'd rank Napa about my 5th choice -
behind Santa Barbara County, Santa Cruz, Monterey and Russian River (going
from South to North).

We could debate this ad nauseum, but the bottom line is that you'll pay a
lot more for non-Cabernet fruit in Napa and very possibly not get as good
quality as elsewhere.

Tom S

P.S. - My runner up choices for Cabernet are Alexander Valley and Paso
Robles.

Rick Vanderwal

I just got back from a California vacation and visited Napa valley - it was
de-VINE! wonderful to see all these vineyards, wineries, etc....made me
jealous I didn't have access to such grapes so readily here in Michigan....
although I suppose I could go to traverse orSt. Joe's area, but once I asked
in the Fennville area and they said they had NO grapes to spare for sale....

Best wishes in your purchases
Rick

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> Napa, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> reds.
>
> If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> for the info. Email me direct if you like.
>
> SG Brix

Rick Vanderwal

I just got back from a California vacation and visited Napa valley - it was
de-VINE! wonderful to see all these vineyards, wineries, etc....made me
jealous I didn't have access to such grapes so readily here in Michigan....
although I suppose I could go to traverse orSt. Joe's area, but once I asked
in the Fennville area and they said they had NO grapes to spare for sale....

Best wishes in your purchases
Rick

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> Napa, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> reds.
>
> If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> for the info. Email me direct if you like.
>
> SG Brix

Dar V

Can't help you, I only make "fake" wine. LOL
Darlene

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> Napa, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> reds.
>
> If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> for the info. Email me direct if you like.
>
> SG Brix

Dar V

Can't help you, I only make "fake" wine. LOL
Darlene

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> Napa, any suggestions?
>
> I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> reds.
>
> If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> for the info. Email me direct if you like.
>
> SG Brix

Oberon Rex

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Can't help you, I only make "fake" wine. LOL
> Darlene

I also am a wine heretic. I don't use grapes at all. Apples, honey,
cherries yes. Grapes, who nneds it? You can buy good grape wine any day of
the week.

> "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> > Napa, any suggestions?
> >
> > I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> > for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> > possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> > just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> > reds.
> >
> > If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> > and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> > for the info. Email me direct if you like.
> >
> > SG Brix

Oberon Rex

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Can't help you, I only make "fake" wine. LOL
> Darlene

I also am a wine heretic. I don't use grapes at all. Apples, honey,
cherries yes. Grapes, who nneds it? You can buy good grape wine any day of
the week.

> "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Heading out to California next week to place orders for grapes in
> > Napa, any suggestions?
> >
> > I'm not going to repeat last year's zoo. This year we are just buying
> > for a designated few and are trying to get the best quality grapes
> > possible. We brought in 8 trailers to Tampa Bay last year, but I'm
> > just looking for the highest quality grapes this year, especially
> > reds.
> >
> > If there actually is anyone on this newsgroup that make "real" wine
> > and could suggest growers in Napa that sell direct I would be grateful
> > for the info. Email me direct if you like.
> >
> > SG Brix

BENNETT9

I am in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County (next to Napa County). I
specialize in sales to home winemakers but I am nearly sold out for this year.
All is sold locally and unfortunately I don't ship. I have had people come up
from L A as well as other parts of Calif but mostly buyers from the Bay Area.
Maybe someday I'll figure out how to shi longer distances but I pretty much
sell out without shipping.
I agree with Tom S that outstanding (and very expensive) Cab comes from Napa,
but most other varieties are equal or better from Sonoma County. And other
parts of Calif grow very good grapes at a much more reasonable price.
I have some Cab and Syrah uncommitted if you feel like making the drive.
Check website by searching Bennett Ridge Vineyard.

Bob Bennett

BENNETT9

I am in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County (next to Napa County). I
specialize in sales to home winemakers but I am nearly sold out for this year.
All is sold locally and unfortunately I don't ship. I have had people come up
from L A as well as other parts of Calif but mostly buyers from the Bay Area.
Maybe someday I'll figure out how to shi longer distances but I pretty much
sell out without shipping.
I agree with Tom S that outstanding (and very expensive) Cab comes from Napa,
but most other varieties are equal or better from Sonoma County. And other
parts of Calif grow very good grapes at a much more reasonable price.
I have some Cab and Syrah uncommitted if you feel like making the drive.
Check website by searching Bennett Ridge Vineyard.

Bob Bennett

buying Isabella grapes ferrante formato Winemaking 0 29-04-2005 02:55 PM
buying Isabella grapes ferrante formato Winemaking 0 29-04-2005 02:55 PM
Grapes from Napa etc sgbrix Winemaking 0 03-08-2004 02:38 AM
Buying grapes BooBoo Winemaking 0 17-05-2004 02:45 AM
buying grapes Theresa Winemaking 11 09-02-2004 07:17 PM