Don S

Default tube for a press basket

I was about to start in on making a square press basket out of 3/4" x 3"
boards but stopped in a local Home Depot by the Sono Tubes. These are the
tubes that are used as concrete forms for pilings. I was thinking that if
a tube was varnished as the wood would be then it may make construction
alot simpler. However I don't think the Sono Tube is optimal since it's
made of cardboard.

Can anyone think of a another perfectly cylindrical object that could be
used? A white plastic pail like a secondary is conical so it's out. The
only other item I could think of was a plastic pipe like they use for city
water mains but I think they may be difficult to find. I'm wondering if
anyone can think of something else?

Don
Lum

"Don S" > wrote in message
om...
> I was about to start in on making a square press basket out of 3/4" x 3"
> boards but stopped in a local Home Depot by the Sono Tubes. These are the
> tubes that are used as concrete forms for pilings. I was thinking that if
> a tube was varnished as the wood would be then it may make construction
> alot simpler. However I don't think the Sono Tube is optimal since it's
> made of cardboard.
>
> Can anyone think of a another perfectly cylindrical object that could be
> used? A white plastic pail like a secondary is conical so it's out. The
> only other item I could think of was a plastic pipe like they use for city
> water mains but I think they may be difficult to find. I'm wondering if
> anyone can think of something else?
>
> Don

How about a short piece of plastic pipe Don? See at the bottom of the page
here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt6.html

Lum

"Don S" > wrote in message
om...
> I was about to start in on making a square press basket out of 3/4" x 3"
> boards but stopped in a local Home Depot by the Sono Tubes. These are the
> tubes that are used as concrete forms for pilings. I was thinking that if
> a tube was varnished as the wood would be then it may make construction
> alot simpler. However I don't think the Sono Tube is optimal since it's
> made of cardboard.
>
> Can anyone think of a another perfectly cylindrical object that could be
> used? A white plastic pail like a secondary is conical so it's out. The
> only other item I could think of was a plastic pipe like they use for city
> water mains but I think they may be difficult to find. I'm wondering if
> anyone can think of something else?
>
> Don

How about a short piece of plastic pipe Don? See at the bottom of the page
here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt6.html

Andy j.

Yes Lum .....that certainly looks like a good poorman's press.....I
use something similar but more crude even.Basically a plastic
fermentation bucket set in a frame that accepts a tire jack ,etc. It
works OK but can't press grapes very dry or the wooden frame might
break. Any plans for the one shown on your site?....looks easy enough
to build .....but just wondering...is the screw jack attatched to the
bottom pan?....is it stainless steel?.....details would be
great....I'm a licensed carpenter by trade so it's workable for
me....thanks Andy Jones....N.B.,Canada.......

Don S

> How about a short piece of plastic pipe Don? See at the bottom of the page
> here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt6.html

That was my first pass as well but I can't find a source other
than a distributor that sells 13' lengths. I'd need to find a
part of the city being developed and try to ask the workman for
a piece of waste (as I believe you did for yours?).

Don
Lum

"Andy j." > wrote in message
om...
> Yes Lum .....that certainly looks like a good poorman's press.....I
> use something similar but more crude even.Basically a plastic
> fermentation bucket set in a frame that accepts a tire jack ,etc. It
> works OK but can't press grapes very dry or the wooden frame might
> break. Any plans for the one shown on your site?

Sorry Andy, I never got around to drowing up plans.

>...looks easy enough
> to build .....but just wondering...is the screw jack attatched to the
> bottom pan? ....is it stainless steel?.....details would be
> great.

The bottom of the press is made from four circles cut from 3/4 inch plywood
laminated togather. The upper surface of the bottom is covered with a layer
of fiberglass and the rim is made from 4-invh fiberglass tape. The "screw"
is a length of stainless "all thread." It goes completely through the bottom
of the press and is retained by nuts and washers on the top and bottom
surfaces.

>...I'm a licensed carpenter by trade so it's workable for
> me....thanks Andy Jones....N.B.,Canada.......

If you don't want to use fiberglass, just wrap a piece of sheet metal around
the bottom to make the pan, then caulk and paint. You should have little
trouble with the construction.

Good luck
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Lum

"Andy j." > wrote in message
om...
> Yes Lum .....that certainly looks like a good poorman's press.....I
> use something similar but more crude even.Basically a plastic
> fermentation bucket set in a frame that accepts a tire jack ,etc. It
> works OK but can't press grapes very dry or the wooden frame might
> break. Any plans for the one shown on your site?

Sorry Andy, I never got around to drowing up plans.

>...looks easy enough
> to build .....but just wondering...is the screw jack attatched to the
> bottom pan? ....is it stainless steel?.....details would be
> great.

The bottom of the press is made from four circles cut from 3/4 inch plywood
laminated togather. The upper surface of the bottom is covered with a layer
of fiberglass and the rim is made from 4-invh fiberglass tape. The "screw"
is a length of stainless "all thread." It goes completely through the bottom
of the press and is retained by nuts and washers on the top and bottom
surfaces.

>...I'm a licensed carpenter by trade so it's workable for
> me....thanks Andy Jones....N.B.,Canada.......

If you don't want to use fiberglass, just wrap a piece of sheet metal around
the bottom to make the pan, then caulk and paint. You should have little
trouble with the construction.

Good luck
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Ken Anderson

"Andy j." > wrote in message
om...
> Yes Lum .....that certainly looks like a good poorman's press.....I
> use something similar but more crude even.Basically a plastic
> fermentation bucket set in a frame that accepts a tire jack ,etc. It
> works OK but can't press grapes very dry or the wooden frame might
> break. Any plans for the one shown on your site?....looks easy enough
> to build .....but just wondering...is the screw jack attatched to the
> bottom pan?....is it stainless steel?.....details would be
> great....I'm a licensed carpenter by trade so it's workable for
> me....thanks Andy Jones....N.B.,Canada.......

Andy, I'm considering making a press, and using the old fashioned type car
jack. Remember those that hooked onto the bumper? Did you use that type? I
think it might work great, especially since it retracts so easily.
Ken

MikeMTM

[modified diagram]
> -----------------
> |

> -|||- pin
> -|||- pin
> | |
> | |

| J |
| A |
------> | C |
| K |
--------- Platen

Don,

What you propose will work, but it will be inherently unstable from a
balance point of view. Because the basket is resting above the wiggly,
moving jack, it will be very apt to shift sideways & topple. Big mess.
You would need some sort of guides to keep it going up and not over.
It's doable, but awkward.

Why not use the floor joist & platen exactly as you plan, but set the
basket on the basement floor, with the jack on top of the platen and
pushing up on the adjustable post? [see diagram] That way you can't have
a catastrophic tipping of the basket, as its sitting firmly on the
floor( or solid base). I've been in quite a few basements in "The Old
Neighborhood" where they had this kind of setup. You can stack a few
blocks under the jack as lower the height of the presscake, and do away
with the need for adjustable pins in the ceiling post as well.

You really don't want to put all your grapes in one basket & then try to
balance them in midair. ;-)

HTH
--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

William Frazier

Joe - It amazes me that you can get 200 pounds of crushed grapes in a 6
gallon pail. I would never have believed it. Quite a few years ago I
bought the smallest basket press. I have to fill the press many times and
it's a pain.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> I haven't used the jack idea up till now. I used a 6 gallon pail of
> water which works out to about 50 pounds total, then I put another 6
> gallon pail on top and fill it with water. Another option (which I
> would not recommend by the way) is to stand in the top bucket. Either
> way works, one is just faster. I would say this is just about the
> dumbest way to do it though, both times I did this I was in a bind
> time-wise and had to improvise with whatever was near at hand.
>
> It might be possible to use ratcheting tie down staps to apply the
> pressure by wrapping them around the whole assembly, that eliminates a
> frame if it works.
>

> This is pretty much what I did last year to press around 200# of
> grapes, renting a press would have been another option.

William Frazier

Joe - It amazes me that you can get 200 pounds of crushed grapes in a 6
gallon pail. I would never have believed it. Quite a few years ago I
bought the smallest basket press. I have to fill the press many times and
it's a pain.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> I haven't used the jack idea up till now. I used a 6 gallon pail of
> water which works out to about 50 pounds total, then I put another 6
> gallon pail on top and fill it with water. Another option (which I
> would not recommend by the way) is to stand in the top bucket. Either
> way works, one is just faster. I would say this is just about the
> dumbest way to do it though, both times I did this I was in a bind
> time-wise and had to improvise with whatever was near at hand.
>
> It might be possible to use ratcheting tie down staps to apply the
> pressure by wrapping them around the whole assembly, that eliminates a
> frame if it works.
>

> This is pretty much what I did last year to press around 200# of
> grapes, renting a press would have been another option.

Darwin Vander Stelt

I built a nice round press (18" inside diameter with maple slats etc) using
a new 8000 lb. tongue jack to supply the pressure. The amount of cranking is
greatly reduced by being able to pull a pin and drop the foot on top of the
follower (or top plate) . After the wine is made, the basket comes out, and
2 -10" cheese moulds go in. A local dairyman trades wine for jersey milk and
and the 10 inch rounds (12 lb cheeses) are wonderful for longer term ageing.
"Don S" > wrote in message
om...
> > Joe - It amazes me that you can get 200 pounds of crushed grapes in a 6
> > gallon pail. I would never have believed it. Quite a few years ago I
> > bought the smallest basket press. I have to fill the press many times

and
> > it's a pain.

> That make me feel better about a choice I made the other day.
> I decide to add another board to each side of the square press
> I'm building. It's be about 13" a side and 24" high.
>
> Don

Darwin Vander Stelt

I built a nice round press (18" inside diameter with maple slats etc) using
a new 8000 lb. tongue jack to supply the pressure. The amount of cranking is
greatly reduced by being able to pull a pin and drop the foot on top of the
follower (or top plate) . After the wine is made, the basket comes out, and
2 -10" cheese moulds go in. A local dairyman trades wine for jersey milk and
and the 10 inch rounds (12 lb cheeses) are wonderful for longer term ageing.
om...