Egis/CORE

Default Mead Making

I just started a batch of mead using one of Jack Keller's recipes. As
the recipe (Vanilla Mead) did not specify any type of Sulfite I
checked the rest of Jack's recipes and noticed that none of them
specified any sulfite.

My question is should I use sulfite during fermentation? And, should I
use sulfite during ageing and bottling?

I suspect that, as Jack did not specify sulfite in the mead recipe it
is not necessary but what makes mead different from other wines made
from fruit? Is it something in the honey?

Erroll Ozgencil

> My question is should I use sulfite during fermentation? And, should I
> use sulfite during ageing and bottling?

Some people boil the honey-water mixture, some pasteurize, some sulphite,
and others rely only on cleanliness and a vigorous starter. You may want
to post in rec.crafts.meadmaking to hear more about these different
approaches.

I'd say that if you're not boiling or pasteurizing, then it's not a bad
idea to sulphite the must, and I would definitely sulphite during ageing
and bottling.

Erroll

Mead, drink of vikings, making comeback. walt tonne General Cooking 1 28-12-2010 10:45 PM
2007 IMA Mead Festival Home Mead Maker Competition Call for Entries Oskaar Winemaking 0 01-11-2006 08:09 AM
English Wines & Cordials cider perry mead making 1946 FA JaneyP Beer 0 15-12-2005 11:31 PM
Mead Tee Doubleyou Winemaking 6 23-07-2004 04:04 PM
Mead Making Bruce Winemaking 1 06-07-2004 10:04 AM