Weez

Default vine problem

Can anyone tell me what this is: http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/links.htm
(at the bottom)
and what to do to avoid more or remedy my present situation. There are only
a few leave affected so far...
Louise)

William Frazier

Louise - It's probably black spot. What variety are the vines? Where are
you located? Are you spraying the vines with a fungicide? If so, what are
you spraying? What is the spray schedule you are using? What has your
weather been like?

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Weez" > wrote in message
.. .
> Can anyone tell me what this is:

http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/links.htm
> (at the bottom)
> and what to do to avoid more or remedy my present situation. There are

only
> a few leave affected so far...
> Louise)

Weez

Hi Bill,
Are you sure about the black spot? I was hoping I beat it this year! I've
been using fruit plus (ferbam and something else) every 7-10 days. The vines
are Marechal Foch. Weather has been cool and humidity has been staying
mostly under 50%, rain once or twice a week mostly at night...
Louise)

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Louise - It's probably black spot. What variety are the vines? Where are
> you located? Are you spraying the vines with a fungicide? If so, what

are
> you spraying? What is the spray schedule you are using? What has your
> weather been like?
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "Weez" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Can anyone tell me what this is:

> http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/links.htm
> > (at the bottom)
> > and what to do to avoid more or remedy my present situation. There are

> only
> > a few leave affected so far...
> > Louise)

William Frazier

Weez wrote "Are you sure about the black spot? I was hoping I beat it this
year! I've
> been using fruit plus (ferbam and something else) every 7-10 days. The

vines
> are Marechal Foch. Weather has been cool and humidity has been staying
> mostly under 50%, rain once or twice a week mostly at night...
> Louise)"

Louise - I'm not sure it's black rot but it sure looks like what I have in
the vineyard. The other grape growers in our Cellarmaster club say it's
black rot. Also, it looks like the black rot picture #21 in the Compendium
of Grape Diseases. And from the 2004 Missouri Commercial Grape Pest
Management Guide..."Leaves: tan spots develop with small black pustules,
concentric with the lesion margin..." Here, in the Kansas City area, we've
had lots of rain and black rot is showing up in vineyards. I have some in
most of the varieties I grow and I follow a rigorous spray program.

The Missouri literature says ferbam will not prevent disease development if
applied after the fungus has infected the fruit or leaves. If you don't
have any grape infection yet sounds like your spray program is pretty
effective even though you see some leaf involvement.

I use Nova in combination with Mancozeb and will shift to Nova/Captan
starting this week. You might consider Nova if you problem gets worse.
Nova offers some protection that Ferban, Mancozeb and Captan can not offer.
Also, it is said to have some curative action if applied within three days
of infection.

I used to grow Leon Millot (cousin of Foch) and always had a good crop so
the small amount of black rot you have probably won't kill your crop. Your
grapes should turn red any time now and then black rot will no longer be a
propblem.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

bob

Weez,

If it is black rot, and you've been spraying every 7-10 days then
throw the spray you've been using in the garbage. Like Bill said, Nova
is the way to go. Also Ferbam is probably good against black rot BUT
you need to get the real stuff. I won't buy anything at the local
nursery or home depot. It's not the same as getting the real stuff
from a commercial chemical supply store and mixing it yourself. BTW
FWIW ,I don't think it's black rot. The lesions aren't circular
enough. Get a magnifing glass or look real close and see if you can
see small black dots in circular form on the orange part. If there are
it's black rot. How many leaves are infected? It's possible you burned
the leaves with too strong or too frequent fungicide sprays.

Bob

"William Frazier" > wrote in message >...
> Weez wrote "Are you sure about the black spot? I was hoping I beat it this
> year! I've
> > been using fruit plus (ferbam and something else) every 7-10 days. The

> vines
> > are Marechal Foch. Weather has been cool and humidity has been staying
> > mostly under 50%, rain once or twice a week mostly at night...
> > Louise)"

> Louise - I'm not sure it's black rot but it sure looks like what I have in
> the vineyard. The other grape growers in our Cellarmaster club say it's
> black rot. Also, it looks like the black rot picture #21 in the Compendium
> of Grape Diseases. And from the 2004 Missouri Commercial Grape Pest
> Management Guide..."Leaves: tan spots develop with small black pustules,
> concentric with the lesion margin..." Here, in the Kansas City area, we've
> had lots of rain and black rot is showing up in vineyards. I have some in
> most of the varieties I grow and I follow a rigorous spray program.
>
> The Missouri literature says ferbam will not prevent disease development if
> applied after the fungus has infected the fruit or leaves. If you don't
> have any grape infection yet sounds like your spray program is pretty
> effective even though you see some leaf involvement.
>
> I use Nova in combination with Mancozeb and will shift to Nova/Captan
> starting this week. You might consider Nova if you problem gets worse.
> Nova offers some protection that Ferban, Mancozeb and Captan can not offer.
> Also, it is said to have some curative action if applied within three days
> of infection.
>
> I used to grow Leon Millot (cousin of Foch) and always had a good crop so
> the small amount of black rot you have probably won't kill your crop. Your
> grapes should turn red any time now and then black rot will no longer be a
> propblem.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

bob

Weez,
I forgot to mention that you NEED to mix the chemicals in your tank
REAL good before spraying and "agitate" the spray as you are moving
thru the rows so the "active" ingredients dont all fall to the bottom
and make the bottom too strong for the leaves.

Bob

"Weez" > wrote in message > ...
> Can anyone tell me what this is: http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/links.htm
> (at the bottom)
> and what to do to avoid more or remedy my present situation. There are only
> a few leave affected so far...
> Louise)

Stephen SG

Marechal Foch
Origin: French hybrid, M 44-53 x Goldriesling; Kuhlmann, 1920.
Uses: Red and rosé wine.
Very good quality red wines have been made from Foch at wineries in
Minnesota and elsewhere. This variety is versatile, lending itself to both
reds and rosés. Foch is early-ripening and one of the hardiest French
hybrids. Widely grown commercially in Minnesota. On good sites in southern
Minnesota, there is no need to cover the vines for winter protection. Birds
prefer small, black, early grapes, so Marechal Foch is particularly
attractive to them. As its clusters are relatively small, it should not be
pruned severely.

Foch (Marechal Foch): Clusters and bunches are of small size. Its small
blue-black fruits produce a good quality Burgundy type red wine without
blending. One of the hardiness French-hybrid cultivars available; borderline
in hardiness. Prune in the fall, take off trellis and cover for the winter.
Don't over prune. Tends to have excessive vigor in rich soils. Susceptible
to powdery mildew. Mid-late August. Severe bird damage.

Quite resistant to common grape diseases; slight susceptibility to both
powdery and downy mildews.
"Weez" > wrote in message
.. .
| Can anyone tell me what this is:
http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/links.htm
| (at the bottom)
| and what to do to avoid more or remedy my present situation. There are
only
| a few leave affected so far...
| Louise)

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
Vine pruning Dick Heckman Winemaking 2 17-04-2007 02:54 AM
vine out of control Joseph Toubes Winemaking 6 03-07-2006 05:40 AM
Secrets of the Vine II Voetleuce Winemaking 0 27-09-2004 12:44 PM