James K. Albert Jr.

Default wine filter

can anyone reccomend a wine filter to buy, and if so is it worth the money
to buy one. any replys would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Tim McNally

I have a buon vino maxi-jet I will sell for $200.00. Used 3 years. I
just bought an Enomatic bottle filler with inline filters.

Tim
Ross Reid

"James K. Albert Jr." > wrote in message >...
> can anyone reccomend a wine filter to buy, and if so is it worth the money
> to buy one. any replys would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Buon Vino makes two excellent filters for home wine makers. Depending
on the quantity you have to filter, you could use either the Mini Jet
or the larger Super Jet.
http://www.buonvino.com/index2.html

Ross.
Joe Sallustio

It really depends on how much wine you make and how much of that you
want to filter. I only filter white wines and not all of them.

If you are talking an occasional 5 gallon batch the Buon Vino MiniJet
out of Canada is a pretty economical option. If a lot more than that,
a cartridge filter/ wine pump asssembly would make more sense. Most
wine supply houses rent filters, you may want to rent one before
purchasing to see what you are getting into.

I have the Minijet; it works, but the pump is gutless. That said, it
does the job and is reasonably inexpensive. A good cartridge system
will run about 2 to 4 times the cost of a minijet but does quite a bit
more wine per pass, several hundred gallons are not uncommon. If you
are doing a whole lot of wine, a plate and frame/DE filter is what a
commercial winery would probably use.

As to whether it's worth it to own a filter, I really don't think I
need one. I have it and use it once in a while, but in hindsight
renting it may make more sense, at least until you are sure it's
something you need. I fine most wines, so they are pretty clean
before they are filtered.

Hope that helps.
Regards.
Joe

"James K. Albert Jr." > wrote in message >...
> can anyone reccomend a wine filter to buy, and if so is it worth the money
> to buy one. any replys would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Pinky

I. haven't filtered any wine in over 12 years and have only had a "lees"
problem in one 23 litre batch -- and that was my fault.
That being said, I rarely fine either. In time, gravity ( not Specific )
takes care of my wine clearing needs but then all my wines spend a minimum
of 9 months bulk aging in 23 litre glass carboys under fermentation locks,
(some for as long as 2 years). This also helps with degassing needs as well.

If you really need one occasionally I would suggest hiring one but patience
is an extremely good filter.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> It really depends on how much wine you make and how much of that you
> want to filter. I only filter white wines and not all of them.

<snip><snip>

Wine filter Dannyl Winemaking 1 19-06-2007 11:09 PM
wine filter Hobbs Family Winemaking 2 12-12-2005 06:48 PM
Boots type wine filter req. [email protected] Winemaking 1 28-01-2005 08:03 AM
home made wine filter Stephen Winemaking 9 04-11-2003 12:32 PM
looking for wine filter Margo Winemaking 1 30-10-2003 02:37 AM