Terry O'Donovan

Default Grapes

I have aquired a new grape vine "Vroege van der Laan" has any one any
information?

MikeMTM

Terry O'Donovan wrote:
> I have aquired a new grape vine "Vroege van der Laan" has any one any
> information?

One of the Dutch sources believes it's a synonym for Chasselas de
Fontainebleau. Other than that I don't know. Good Luck.

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

William Frazier

Terry - this may be your grape.
Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

VROEGE LOONSE:
(Translation: 'Early (from) Loon (county)'). Red wine variety, claimed to be
a Pinot Noir clone seedling selection, discovered and propagated by M.
Bellefroid, Borgloon, Belgium in the late 1940's. Ripens earlier, with low
acidity, than the parent variety. No other details as yet other than it is
still (1999) reportedly cultivated by the aged discoverer.

> Terry O'Donovan wrote:
> > I have aquired a new grape vine "Vroege van der Laan" has any one any
> > information?

ed montforts

Hi Terry,

Witte (white) or Vroege (early) van der Laan is an old variety, strongly
resembling the French chasselas, also known as Weisser (white) Gutedel
(good/noble) in Germany; in Switserland Fendant or Chasselas Romand; in
England and Australia as Swee****er; in Hungary as Mädchentraube (girls
grape). Probably one of the oldest varieties; pictures of this grape were
found in the graves of the Pharao's in Luxor. It is thought to originate in
Lebanon, some 6000 years ago. Very tasty tablegrape. Not quite fit for
winemaking though. Sigh......
Cultivated in Holland from the 18th century and brought here from France by
a mister van der Laan. In very good years it ripens even in the outside
(third week of october), and is very sensitive to oidium and peronospora.
You would have to spray and spray and spray a lot!! It is cultivated here
under glass as a tablegrape, and then it ripens a whole lot earlyer. Hence
the name.

Ed

"Terry O'Donovan" > schreef in bericht
> I have aquired a new grape vine "Vroege van der Laan" has any one any
> information?

Fred Williams

While we are on the subject of "unknown" grapes, I have a few grafted vines
from a recent propigation class I took. The scion wood was "La Rouge(sp?)"
, of which I have been unable to find any information. The instructor only
said it was thought to be PD resistant. Other than that I have found no
other information. Does anyone here know greater details or information
sources?

Fred

"ed montforts" > wrote in message
> Hi Terry,
>
> Witte (white) or Vroege (early) van der Laan is an old variety, strongly
> resembling the French chasselas, also known as Weisser (white) Gutedel
> (good/noble) in Germany; in Switserland Fendant or Chasselas Romand; in
> England and Australia as Swee****er; in Hungary as Mädchentraube (girls
> grape). Probably one of the oldest varieties; pictures of this grape were
> found in the graves of the Pharao's in Luxor. It is thought to originate

in
> Lebanon, some 6000 years ago. Very tasty tablegrape. Not quite fit for
> winemaking though. Sigh......
> Cultivated in Holland from the 18th century and brought here from France

by
> a mister van der Laan. In very good years it ripens even in the outside
> (third week of october), and is very sensitive to oidium and peronospora.
> You would have to spray and spray and spray a lot!! It is cultivated here
> under glass as a tablegrape, and then it ripens a whole lot earlyer. Hence
> the name.
>
> Ed
>

> "Terry O'Donovan" > schreef in bericht
> > I have aquired a new grape vine "Vroege van der Laan" has any one any
> > information?

Fun With Grapes Mark Thorson General Cooking 1 01-05-2011 05:05 AM
Grapes Becca[_2_] General Cooking 5 30-09-2008 03:15 AM
grapes, grapes, and MORE grapes! frogfog Preserving 7 14-10-2005 02:25 PM
grapes James K. Albert Jr. Winemaking 2 21-01-2004 12:15 PM