john west +++

Default alcoholic ginger beer

Hi, does anyone have a receipe please for alcoholic ginger beer that they
know works well.

many thanks. john west

billb

make some alcohol from sugar water and yeast and add it to ginger
beer.

that might work.

--
billb
"If you want to prove that god is not dead first prove that man is
"john west +++" > wrote in message
> Hi, does anyone have a receipe please for alcoholic ginger beer

that they
> know works well.
>
> many thanks. john west

Julie

Hi. This is from Don's site from 96 - he used to moderate this site -
anyone know where he's at these days?

Julie

From: (Cowan)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Subject: Ginger Beer
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 10:54:54 -0500

Cindy Renfrow has published a fantastic book with recipes (mead) from
as
early as the 1600s (
http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/). Her 1819 Ginger
Beer recipe reads:

1 Gallon water
1 ounce ginger root
1 lb sugar
2 ounces lemon juice
Yeast
isinglass

Does anybody have experience with a similar recipe?

Which yeast should I use? I plan to bottle it, and I want it to be
effervescent.

Should I use a yeast nutrient?

From: (E.Shedd)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 00:32:29 GMT

Ginger Beer recipe in a cookbook "Traditional Irish Recipes" collected
by George L. Thomson:

1 oz root ginger
1 lb sugar
1 oz yeast
1 oz cream of tartar
1 lemon

Place the bruised ginger in a bowl, adding the sugar, cream of tartar,
and lemon rind and juice. Pour on a gallon of boiling water and stir
thoroughly with a wooden spoon. When lukewarm, mix the yeast in a
little water with a teaspoon of sugar, and when it begins to froth,
stir
in with the rest. Leave for one day, after which it can be filled into
screw top bottles.

The book notes that the British Imperial system measures 1 quart as 40
fluid oz -- equivalent to 1 1/4 U.S. quarts. Following this logic, I
used 5 quarts of water (for 1 gallon). Standard spoon sizes are
slightly smaller in the American system and therefore all spoon
measures
should be taken generously in the U.S. & Canada.

Other personal notes: I used bread yeast (didn't know any better back
then) Use yeast suitable for soda or champagne. The next time that I
try this I will substitute the lemon with a lime. It was too lemony.
A common Jamaica beverage is a Shandy Gaff (sp?) -- pour 1/2 glass
beer
(homebrew would be best!) into a glass; fill remainder with ginger
beer. "Relax. No problem, mon."