Rob M

Default 1 Gallon Bottles

I was thinking of bottling a batch of wine in one gallon bottles. Once
a bottle is opened, how long do I have to drink it before it becomes
oxidized?
Pinky

Well personally I wouldn't do it but perhaps 3 days maximum -- but as the
air space above the wine increases then so does the deterioration of the
wine. Have you ever tried to drink the remnants of a glass of wine left out
from the night before! Ugh ----- warm , flat and disgusting.
I would suggest that if you want to breach a one gallon bottle without all
the fuss of corking and labelling then have 6 empty wine bottles and six of
those little plastic caps that you get with some inexpensive wines --- you
can also buy them from you local Home brew shop. If the bottles are clean,
even without sanitisation, the wine will keep for a couple of weeks or even
more.
HTH
( Oh -- 6 bottles from a 1 gal imp)

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Rob M" > wrote in message
om...
> I was thinking of bottling a batch of wine in one gallon bottles. Once
> a bottle is opened, how long do I have to drink it before it becomes
> oxidized?

Adam Lang

And keep in mind when you are pouring, the headspace is irrelevant because
the surface area grows larger. Visualize pouring from a bottle or jug when
it is turned 90 degrees. The surface area is now the length of the bottle,
not the top of it.

From what I understand, as soon as air touches, oxidation starts. So
basically, unless you are going to drink a gallon in one sitting, you don't
want to do it.
"Pinky" > wrote in message
> Well personally I wouldn't do it but perhaps 3 days maximum -- but as the
> air space above the wine increases then so does the deterioration of the
> wine. Have you ever tried to drink the remnants of a glass of wine left

out
> from the night before! Ugh ----- warm , flat and disgusting.
> I would suggest that if you want to breach a one gallon bottle without all
> the fuss of corking and labelling then have 6 empty wine bottles and six

of
> those little plastic caps that you get with some inexpensive wines --- you
> can also buy them from you local Home brew shop. If the bottles are

clean,
> even without sanitisation, the wine will keep for a couple of weeks or

even
> more.
> HTH
> ( Oh -- 6 bottles from a 1 gal imp)
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Rob M" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I was thinking of bottling a batch of wine in one gallon bottles. Once
> > a bottle is opened, how long do I have to drink it before it becomes
> > oxidized?

Fred Williams

Look around for some old six ounce (single serving) soda bottles. My wine
deserves that level of quality control, minimum. :-)

"Adam Lang" > wrote in message
> And keep in mind when you are pouring, the headspace is irrelevant because
> the surface area grows larger. Visualize pouring from a bottle or jug

when
> it is turned 90 degrees. The surface area is now the length of the

bottle,
> not the top of it.

Ray

Good suggestions above concerning rebottling when you want some. Here are
some additional suggestions however.

1) If you are using 1 gal carboy type bottles, use rubber bungs not use
cork. A real wine bottle is designed to have considerable cork to bottle
contact to keep air out. You will never get this with a jug type bottle.
The rubber bung will give adequate seal and will allow the bottles to be
stored standing up.

2) If you open one and move a goodly portion to regular bottles and drink
some, keep in mind that there is something called bottle shock. A wine goes
through a bit of a slump when first bottled. To be at it's best, it should
be in the bottle for 1 to 2 months. A lot of people try to explain this but
the important thing to know is that it is real.
"Rob M" > wrote in message
om...
> I was thinking of bottling a batch of wine in one gallon bottles. Once
> a bottle is opened, how long do I have to drink it before it becomes
> oxidized?

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article >,
Pinky > wrote:
>Well personally I wouldn't do it but perhaps 3 days maximum -- but as the
>air space above the wine increases then so does the deterioration of the
>wine. Have you ever tried to drink the remnants of a glass of wine left out
>from the night before! Ugh ----- warm , flat and disgusting.

I picked up one of those pumps a few years ago. We're down to two of
the grey caps, but it does work surprisingly well.

Of course, these day we rarely have any left ( since she was last
pregnant . . . ), and we rarely open a second bottle, so . . .

hawk, running away as he points out that refridgeration can also "solve"
the problem

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail