Bob

Default ACID %

Hi gang,
Been making my own wine for quite a few years, but I just got serious
about supplying all my beverage needs myself.
My question is this:
Books on the subject say the must should be ".60-.80% acid as expressed
in tartaric acid". What I'm wondering is if it is better to err on the high
side, as I've read that some acid is metabolized by the yeast so that as it
ferments you have less acid with a less effective/complete fermentation, OR
if running things on the low side is better?
Anyone want to chime in with what percentage of acid, expressed as
tartaric, you shoot for? I ask this because I've had a few batches turn out
with plenty of sugar left over. I go for 13% alcohol and wind up with 11%
and sweetness to boot.
Bob

Ray

I don't think that it is the acid causing your ferments to stop early. More
likely it is lack of nutrients.

As far as getting the right acid, I would rather shoot low and then adjust
at the end of fermentation. You can adjust to taste at the end and that is
the most important thing. You cannot adjust to taste at the beginning as
the sugar masks the acid. If you find that you are always adding more at
the end then for future batches you can add more at the beginning. The
important thing is to make the wine that you like. Not one that fits the
mold of standards.

Ray

"Bob" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Hi gang,
> Been making my own wine for quite a few years, but I just got serious
> about supplying all my beverage needs myself.
> My question is this:
> Books on the subject say the must should be ".60-.80% acid as

expressed
> in tartaric acid". What I'm wondering is if it is better to err on the

high
> side, as I've read that some acid is metabolized by the yeast so that as

it
> ferments you have less acid with a less effective/complete fermentation,

OR
> if running things on the low side is better?
> Anyone want to chime in with what percentage of acid, expressed as
> tartaric, you shoot for? I ask this because I've had a few batches turn

out
> with plenty of sugar left over. I go for 13% alcohol and wind up with 11%
> and sweetness to boot.
> Bob

Bob

"Ray" > wrote in message
. ..
> I don't think that it is the acid causing your ferments to stop early.

More
> likely it is lack of nutrients.

So you suggest adding yeast nutrient powder? I'm using a pretty good
amount of juice in my must; I rarely add any water!
> As far as getting the right acid, I would rather shoot low and then adjust
> at the end of fermentation. You can adjust to taste at the end and that

is
> the most important thing. You cannot adjust to taste at the beginning as
> the sugar masks the acid. If you find that you are always adding more at
> the end then for future batches you can add more at the beginning. The
> important thing is to make the wine that you like. Not one that fits the
> mold of standards.

I think you have given me a plan; I think I'll try adding some acid and
nutrient powder as fermentation slows. I keep an accurate log of how many
bubbles per minute are coming out of the airlock. It gives me a nice picture
of what's what.
Thanks!
Bob
> Ray
>
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Hi gang,
> > Been making my own wine for quite a few years, but I just got

serious
> > about supplying all my beverage needs myself.
> > My question is this:
> > Books on the subject say the must should be ".60-.80% acid as

> expressed
> > in tartaric acid". What I'm wondering is if it is better to err on the

> high
> > side, as I've read that some acid is metabolized by the yeast so that as

> it
> > ferments you have less acid with a less effective/complete fermentation,

> OR
> > if running things on the low side is better?
> > Anyone want to chime in with what percentage of acid, expressed as
> > tartaric, you shoot for? I ask this because I've had a few batches turn

> out
> > with plenty of sugar left over. I go for 13% alcohol and wind up with

11%
> > and sweetness to boot.
> > Bob

Ray

I would suggest adding the nutrient up front. The yeast will utilize much
of it early on during the reproductive stage. You do want them to use it up
rather than leave it in the wine.

Ray

"Bob" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I don't think that it is the acid causing your ferments to stop early.

> More
> > likely it is lack of nutrients.

> So you suggest adding yeast nutrient powder? I'm using a pretty good
> amount of juice in my must; I rarely add any water!
> > As far as getting the right acid, I would rather shoot low and then

adjust
> > at the end of fermentation. You can adjust to taste at the end and that

> is
> > the most important thing. You cannot adjust to taste at the beginning

as
> > the sugar masks the acid. If you find that you are always adding more

at
> > the end then for future batches you can add more at the beginning. The
> > important thing is to make the wine that you like. Not one that fits

the
> > mold of standards.

> I think you have given me a plan; I think I'll try adding some acid

and
> nutrient powder as fermentation slows. I keep an accurate log of how many
> bubbles per minute are coming out of the airlock. It gives me a nice

picture
> of what's what.
> Thanks!
> Bob
> > Ray
> >
> > "Bob" > wrote in message
> > hlink.net...
> > > Hi gang,
> > > Been making my own wine for quite a few years, but I just got

> serious
> > > about supplying all my beverage needs myself.
> > > My question is this:
> > > Books on the subject say the must should be ".60-.80% acid as

> > expressed
> > > in tartaric acid". What I'm wondering is if it is better to err on the

> > high
> > > side, as I've read that some acid is metabolized by the yeast so that

as
> > it
> > > ferments you have less acid with a less effective/complete

fermentation,
> > OR
> > > if running things on the low side is better?
> > > Anyone want to chime in with what percentage of acid, expressed as
> > > tartaric, you shoot for? I ask this because I've had a few batches

turn
> > out
> > > with plenty of sugar left over. I go for 13% alcohol and wind up with

> 11%
> > > and sweetness to boot.
> > > Bob

Bob

"Ray" > wrote in message
> I would suggest adding the nutrient up front. The yeast will utilize much
> of it early on during the reproductive stage. You do want them to use it

up
> rather than leave it in the wine.

An EXCELLENT point! Thank you sir!

> Ray
>
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Ray" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > > I don't think that it is the acid causing your ferments to stop early.

> > More
> > > likely it is lack of nutrients.

> > So you suggest adding yeast nutrient powder? I'm using a pretty good
> > amount of juice in my must; I rarely add any water!
> > > As far as getting the right acid, I would rather shoot low and then

> adjust
> > > at the end of fermentation. You can adjust to taste at the end and

that
> > is
> > > the most important thing. You cannot adjust to taste at the beginning

> as
> > > the sugar masks the acid. If you find that you are always adding more

> at
> > > the end then for future batches you can add more at the beginning.

The
> > > important thing is to make the wine that you like. Not one that fits

> the
> > > mold of standards.

> > I think you have given me a plan; I think I'll try adding some acid

> and
> > nutrient powder as fermentation slows. I keep an accurate log of how

many
> > bubbles per minute are coming out of the airlock. It gives me a nice

> picture
> > of what's what.
> > Thanks!
> > Bob
> > > Ray
> > >
> > > "Bob" > wrote in message
> > > hlink.net...

> > serious
> > > expressed

the
> > > high

that
> as
> > > it

> fermentation,
> > > OR

as

> turn
> > > out

with
> > 11%

Ascorbic acid (vitamin c) vs. citric acid The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 2 29-07-2014 06:51 PM
Acid & Ph? Crhoff Winemaking 12 30-01-2006 05:51 PM
Can you add to much acid? [email protected] Winemaking 8 04-11-2005 09:52 PM
O.D.ed on acid. PA-ter Winemaking 3 10-11-2004 01:39 AM
ACID % Bob Winemaking 9 18-06-2004 03:26 PM