William Frazier

Default Where are you

I started this so I'll try and clarify what my idea was. Beermakers who
post on the Home Brew Digest usually sign their names and give an address.
The HBD is the only place I know of where this is the custom.
Rec.Crafts.Winemaking is a very nice, friendly and helpful forum...much like
the HBD. So I suggested we adopt the custom of giving our names and
locations. A lot of winemakers have posted their name and where they live
Here's the idea in practice~After you submit a post to r.c.w. just add your
name and location;
---------------------
lum
Del Mar, CA, USA

Brian
Winnipeg, Manitoba
--------------------
Yours truly,
Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

Svend Musiat

> Subject: post your location
> Brewers
> It's time for my semi-annual request that posters tell us their name
> and location. It fosters community and might help answer questions."

Just a meek diciple - Copenhagen, Denmark
Bill and Ursula Herbert

Grandview Heights, Ohio - just outside of Columbus.
Dar V

Darlene Vosen
Germantown, Wisconsin
(near Milwaukee)

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> I make a lot of beer in addition to growing my own grapes and making wine.
> The Home Brew Digest is a forum for beer makers that has been a great help
> to brewers all over the world. It's good manners on that forum to sign

your
> name and give your location (city, country is enough). One of the major
> beer making posters is Jeff Renner. He posts the request given below each
> year to encourage posters to give their name and address. It would be a
> nice addition to r.c.w. to adopt this practice. Especially for those of

us
> who grow and make wine from locally grown grapes and fruit.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas
>
> "Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:33:21 -0400
> From: Jeff Renner <jeffrenner at comcast.net>
> Subject: post your location
> Brewers
> It's time for my semi-annual request that posters tell us their name
> and location. It fosters community and might help answer questions."

Charles H

glad heart wrote:

> Jim Unterschultz
> Calgary, AB Canada
>
> The only thriving varietal here is rhubarb.

Ever try making Saskatoon berry wine?

--
charles
Kitchener, Canada

Leslie Gadallah

Charles H wrote:

> glad heart wrote:
>

>>Jim Unterschultz
>>Calgary, AB Canada
>>
>>The only thriving varietal here is rhubarb.

> Ever try making Saskatoon berry wine?

Yeah. Whn I first started wine making there were no kits, or
pails of refrigerated juice. We fermented anything we could get
our dear little hands on
Leslie Gadallah
Calgary, Canada

brian carter

Victoria, BC, Canada

William Frazier wrote:

> I make a lot of beer in addition to growing my own grapes and making wine.
> The Home Brew Digest is a forum for beer makers that has been a great help
> to brewers all over the world. It's good manners on that forum to sign your
> name and give your location (city, country is enough). One of the major
> beer making posters is Jeff Renner. He posts the request given below each
> year to encourage posters to give their name and address. It would be a
> nice addition to r.c.w. to adopt this practice. Especially for those of us
> who grow and make wine from locally grown grapes and fruit.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas
>
> "Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:33:21 -0400
> From: Jeff Renner <jeffrenner at comcast.net>
> Subject: post your location
> Brewers
> It's time for my semi-annual request that posters tell us their name
> and location. It fosters community and might help answer questions."

Weez

I've added it to my signature )

--
Louise )
Otterburn Park, Quebec

"brian carter" > wrote in message
> Victoria, BC, Canada
>
> William Frazier wrote:
>
> > I make a lot of beer in addition to growing my own grapes and making

wine.
> > The Home Brew Digest is a forum for beer makers that has been a great

help
> > to brewers all over the world. It's good manners on that forum to sign

your
> > name and give your location (city, country is enough). One of the major
> > beer making posters is Jeff Renner. He posts the request given below

each
> > year to encourage posters to give their name and address. It would be a
> > nice addition to r.c.w. to adopt this practice. Especially for those of

us
> > who grow and make wine from locally grown grapes and fruit.
> >
> > Bill Frazier
> > Olathe, Kansas
> >
> > "Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:33:21 -0400
> > From: Jeff Renner <jeffrenner at comcast.net>
> > Subject: post your location
> > Brewers
> > It's time for my semi-annual request that posters tell us their name
> > and location. It fosters community and might help answer questions."

Geoff McCaughan

William Frazier > wrote:

> A couple have understood what I intended. Here's the idea in
> practice~After you submit a post to r.c.w. just add your name and
> location;

Can I just suggest to other posters from the US, that they post the name of
their state, rather than the two-letter abbreviation? These abbreviations
are not widely recognised outside the US. Plus if your country is the USA,
don't be ashamed, say so.

I've been lurking on this group so far. I'm new to winemaking. I got into it
this year when our plum trees produced ~90kg of fruit. I now have some plum
wine fermenting, and I'm trying smaller batches of other recipies according
to what I have a surplus of.

We also have chickens, they like to eat the strained solids from the must.

I guess it will be some time before I find out if anything I'm doing is
drinkable.

North Loburn,
New Zealand
Truenorth

At least in New Zealand you can distill it if you are not happy. A
word to the wise, wait a few years before deciding you don't like
it...Time works wonders.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:50:53 GMT, Geoff McCaughan
> wrote:

>William Frazier > wrote:
>
>> A couple have understood what I intended. Here's the idea in
>> practice~After you submit a post to r.c.w. just add your name and
>> location;

>Can I just suggest to other posters from the US, that they post the name of
>their state, rather than the two-letter abbreviation? These abbreviations
>are not widely recognised outside the US. Plus if your country is the USA,
>don't be ashamed, say so.
>
>I've been lurking on this group so far. I'm new to winemaking. I got into it
>this year when our plum trees produced ~90kg of fruit. I now have some plum
>wine fermenting, and I'm trying smaller batches of other recipies according
>to what I have a surplus of.
>
>We also have chickens, they like to eat the strained solids from the must.
>
>I guess it will be some time before I find out if anything I'm doing is
>drinkable.
>
>North Loburn,
>New Zealand

Robert Reilly

Robert Reilly
Redding, Connecticut, USA
70 Miles N Ne of NY City!
Mark

Just outside of Beantown (Boston MA)....
"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> Just outside Boston, MA
>
> Andy

Glen Duff

Glen Duff
Rockwood, Ontario, Canada

Alfonse

Hey neighbor, I'm actually right on the border of Acton/Rockwood! Its worth
the drive to Acton!!!
Al

"Glen Duff" > wrote in message
> Glen Duff
> Rockwood, Ontario, Canada

Aubrey

Glen Duff > wrote in message >...
> Glen Duff
> Rockwood, Ontario, Canada

Aubrey Johnson
Martinez, GA 30907

24brix

Vineyard located in Centerview, Missouri
(30 miles east of Kansas City, Missouri)

Michael Amigoni
Amigoni Family Vineyards
Ray

Default Houston, Texas, USA

Biggest little town in S.W. Houston

Robin Somes

(Ooops, I've come upon this thread late - been occupied with getting
through a backlog of posts from as far back as last October...)

On the edge of the New Forest, south coast of England.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
richard e white

William Frazier wrote:

> I make a lot of beer in addition to growing my own grapes and making wine.
> The Home Brew Digest is a forum for beer makers that has been a great help
> to brewers all over the world. It's good manners on that forum to sign your
> name and give your location (city, country is enough). One of the major
> beer making posters is Jeff Renner. He posts the request given below each
> year to encourage posters to give their name and address. It would be a
> nice addition to r.c.w. to adopt this practice. Especially for those of us
> who grow and make wine from locally grown grapes and fruit.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas
>
> "Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:33:21 -0400
> From: Jeff Renner <jeffrenner at comcast.net>
> Subject: post your location
> Brewers
> It's time for my semi-annual request that posters tell us their name
> and location. It fosters community and might help answer questions."

Well I am new here and only dropped by for tips on planting red seed less grapes
as I suddenly have two in the little pots that they will grow through.
but I live in the Santee, Cal, USA area.
how do I go about planting them?
how much dirt do they need? are they ground plants only or can they be in above
ground gardens?
as you might have guessed I know nothing about plaint them or growing them.

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

William Frazier

Default Planting grapes / was Where are you

richard e white wrote "Well I am new here and only dropped by for tips on
planting red seed less grapes as I suddenly have two in the little pots that
they will grow through. but I live in the Santee, Cal, USA area. how do I go
about planting them? how much dirt do they need? are they ground plants
only or can they be in above ground gardens? as you might have guessed I
know nothing about plaint them or growing them."

Richard - If your plants are indeed grape vines they need to be planted
outside in the ground. Grape vines develop very deep roots. Your
California climate is perfect for grapes. Ideally they would be planted in
an area that gets full sun. Be prepared to water newly planted grape vines.
Go to www.Rakgrape.com for more complete grape planting instructions.

If you live in an apartment or some other location where you don't have a
yard for your grapes check out this site ~
http://www.spraag.com/africusrex/. This is a very interesting way to grow
grape vines in pots.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

richard e white

William Frazier wrote:

> richard e white wrote "Well I am new here and only dropped by for tips on
> planting red seed less grapes as I suddenly have two in the little pots that
> they will grow through. but I live in the Santee, Cal, USA area. how do I go
> about planting them? how much dirt do they need? are they ground plants
> only or can they be in above ground gardens? as you might have guessed I
> know nothing about plaint them or growing them."
>
> Richard - If your plants are indeed grape vines they need to be planted
> outside in the ground. Grape vines develop very deep roots. Your
> California climate is perfect for grapes. Ideally they would be planted in
> an area that gets full sun. Be prepared to water newly planted grape vines.
> Go to www.Rakgrape.com for more complete grape planting instructions.
>
> If you live in an apartment or some other location where you don't have a
> yard for your grapes check out this site ~
> http://www.spraag.com/africusrex/. This is a very interesting way to grow
> grape vines in pots.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

I live in a house and there is no shade in most of the back yard.
ect for on part right near the house and one part at the far back edge to the
south where a tree shades it after about 2 pm.
so I want to plant them in the full area with a drip system?
I can't use sights at the moment as that part of my screen reader is messing up
and I'm not sure that support will get back to me before I need to put them in
the ground.
I can waight on most info as they are small. but I am after how far apart?
does the ground need to be cleard around them?
and how much water per day do I set the timer for on the drip system?
or are grapes one of thoes plants that need to have water sprayed on there
leaves?
Sorry to be a pest.

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

William Frazier

richard white wrote;

"I live in a house and there is no shade in most of the back yard.
ect for on part right near the house and one part at the far back edge to
the
south where a tree shades it after about 2 pm."

Plant the vines where there will be full sun for as many hours of the day as
possible.

"so I want to plant them in the full area with a drip system?"

You said you have two vines. I would not worry about a drip system for two
vines.

"I can waight on most info as they are small. but I am after how far
apart?"

I don't know what type grapes you have. But, you can't go wrong planting
them eight feet apart. Six feet is probably OK. To get a proper answer
contact your local county agricultural office, tell them what type grapes
you have and they will know or will be able to find out the proper spacing.

"does the ground need to be cleard around them?"

Grape vines like to have clear soil around them. Clear a three to four foot
diameter circle around each vine. Keep the soil weed free in this area.

"how much water per day do I set the timer for on the drip system?"

Again, I would not install a drip system for two vines. Stick you finger in
the ground. If the soil is moist no water is needed. If the soil is dry
it's time to water.You can water them too much. On new vines in my vineyard
I check the soil condition and water them every week if there has been no
rain. Once the vines are at least one year old they can do with less
watering because their roots are deeper.

"are grapes one of thoes plants that need to have water sprayed on there
leaves?"

I avoid wetting the grape leaves unless I'm spraying fungicide/pesticide.
Best to keep the leaves and grapes dry to avoid disease.

Richard - I understand you are blind. If this is the reason you want a drip
irrigation system I understand. But, if you are able to go to your vines
and check the soil moisture level a simple watering can is sufficient for
two vines. When the soil gets dry give each vine about a gallon of
water...then check again in a few days. You will need a trellis of some
sort but this depends on the type grape you have. The county agricultural
agent should have this information.

Good luck with your vines.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

richard e white

William Frazier wrote:

> richard white wrote;
>
> "I live in a house and there is no shade in most of the back yard.
> ect for on part right near the house and one part at the far back edge to
> the
> south where a tree shades it after about 2 pm."
>
> Plant the vines where there will be full sun for as many hours of the day as
> possible.
>
> "so I want to plant them in the full area with a drip system?"
>
> You said you have two vines. I would not worry about a drip system for two
> vines.

I was planning on having other plants in the area like blackberrys, cecil bruner
roses, and any other plants that might help the others or keep pests away.

> "I can waight on most info as they are small. but I am after how far
> apart?"
>
> I don't know what type grapes you have. But, you can't go wrong planting
> them eight feet apart. Six feet is probably OK. To get a proper answer
> contact your local county agricultural office, tell them what type grapes
> you have and they will know or will be able to find out the proper spacing.

Thanks. my mom read the tage on the pot and they said "Flame"

> "does the ground need to be cleard around them?"
>
> Grape vines like to have clear soil around them. Clear a three to four foot
> diameter circle around each vine. Keep the soil weed free in this area.

After clearing ground could I use mulch?
the ground is vary dry here.
I am told that the zone is 21 to 23

> "how much water per day do I set the timer for on the drip system?"
>
> Again, I would not install a drip system for two vines. Stick you finger in
> the ground. If the soil is moist no water is needed. If the soil is dry
> it's time to water.You can water them too much. On new vines in my vineyard
> I check the soil condition and water them every week if there has been no
> rain. Once the vines are at least one year old they can do with less
> watering because their roots are deeper.

I am not sure that the ground could be called most even after a rain fall. and
the air is at 48 for humidaty. and rain fall is not all that much at all.

> "are grapes one of thoes plants that need to have water sprayed on there
> leaves?"
>
> I avoid wetting the grape leaves unless I'm spraying fungicide/pesticide.
> Best to keep the leaves and grapes dry to avoid disease.
>
> Richard - I understand you are blind. If this is the reason you want a drip
> irrigation system I understand. But, if you are able to go to your vines
> and check the soil moisture level a simple watering can is sufficient for
> two vines. When the soil gets dry give each vine about a gallon of
> water...then check again in a few days. You will need a trellis of some
> sort but this depends on the type grape you have. The county agricultural
> agent should have this information.

The kind is flame and I am not to good at telling how dry the ground is. all so
I am only thinking of adding to the drip system that I all ready have. and the
cost of a new line to run is not that much that is why I asked about setting the
drip system.
I am all so trying to find out if the plants I want to put in can be near
eachother.
I am planning at the moment to put the roses a long the back fence and the
grapes and other vines in the certer area of the yard.
by the way do opposoms do any damage to grapes?

> Good luck with your vines.

Thanks for all your help

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

William Frazier

Richard - If you already have an irrigation system use it for sure. You are
near San Diego and I'm near Kansas City. Our climates are very different so
I can't comment on how much water you should drip each day. Your county
extension office should be able to help and there surely are vineyards in
your area that you may be able to talk to.

Flame is a nice table grape. Sounds like you have a nice place.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

richard e white

William Frazier wrote:

> Richard - If you already have an irrigation system use it for sure. You are
> near San Diego and I'm near Kansas City. Our climates are very different so
> I can't comment on how much water you should drip each day. Your county
> extension office should be able to help and there surely are vineyards in
> your area that you may be able to talk to.
>
> Flame is a nice table grape. Sounds like you have a nice place.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

It is a nice place but needs a bit of work.
and the office you mentioned said I needed to call the master garden people.
not sure who they are but they sound right. they give class on my area.