Barry

Default Newbie Hard Cider - Wait or Not?

I've got a Hard Cider going. My first try. I've never tried to make
anything carbonated before.

I used Red Star Champagne yeast.

I'm waiting for it to clear in the carboy before I add brewer's sugar
& bottle to carbonate it. It's taking a long time to clear. I added
Isinglass 2 weeks ago... it's better but still very hazy.

Do I keep waiting? I'd rather wait until it really clears, but is it
possible to wait so long that the yeast will not "take" and do the
carbonization thing after adding sugar at bottling?
Charles H

Barry wrote:

> I'm waiting for it to clear in the carboy before I add brewer's sugar
> & bottle to carbonate it. It's taking a long time to clear. I added
> Isinglass 2 weeks ago... it's better but still very hazy.
>
> Do I keep waiting? I'd rather wait until it really clears, but is it
> possible to wait so long that the yeast will not "take" and do the
> carbonization thing after adding sugar at bottling?

I've never fined my cider before. I've had the best experience just
letting it settle and clear over winter. Give it a month or two before
trying to bottle it. It will also clear in the bottle. If you carbonate
to english cider levels, beer bottles will be strong enough, but
anything more than 3/4 c / 5 US gallons should be bottled in champagne
bottles (more akin to Normandy cider). HTH

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields

Hard Cider Janet Bostwick General Cooking 40 24-09-2013 11:48 PM
Original Sin Hard Cider [email protected] Beer 0 20-02-2007 04:15 AM
Best common US apples for hard cider? Droopy Winemaking 6 09-09-2005 02:19 AM
Hard Cider Jon Foster Winemaking 8 07-10-2004 01:39 AM
hard cider Stephen Winemaking 3 02-12-2003 07:01 PM