Edwin Pawlowski

Default Bad day at work

Everything seemed to be going OK at work today but then a major catastrophe
occurred. I was opening a bottle of Chardonnay at lunch and the corkscrew
broke! I have a couple of them at home, but only one at work. A few
minutes of jiggling with Channel-lock pliers saved the day.

From now on I'm keeping a spare in my desk.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Glen Duff

Ed,

You're not the only unlucky guy.

In the words of W.C. Fields "we were travelling through the wilds of
Afghanistan when suddenly my corkscrew broke. We were then forced to
live on only food and water for the next 22 days."

Cheers,

Glen Duff
---------------

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Everything seemed to be going OK at work today but then a major catastrophe
> occurred. I was opening a bottle of Chardonnay at lunch and the corkscrew
> broke! I have a couple of them at home, but only one at work. A few
> minutes of jiggling with Channel-lock pliers saved the day.
>
> From now on I'm keeping a spare in my desk.

R. A. Vinson

At first, I was jealous because you were fortunate enough to partake of a
glass of wine at work. Then I realized it was a Chardonnay bottle you could
not open......thank God it wasn't a big bad RED of one kind or another. Now
that would have been a "bad day at work".....hehehe
Cheers !

Brian Lundeen

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. com...
> Everything seemed to be going OK at work today but then a major

catastrophe
> occurred. I was opening a bottle of Chardonnay at lunch and the corkscrew
> broke! I have a couple of them at home, but only one at work. A few
> minutes of jiggling with Channel-lock pliers saved the day.

Hell, just stick it in the microwave, Ed. When it starts to boil, it'll push
the cork out. ;-)

Brian

Web Williams

Oh my Gawd!!! Can I be there to watch (from the doorway)???

Just found this group- and am learning a lot. But
I don't know if I'd advise this method....

C-ya, -Web

> Hell, just stick it in the microwave, Ed. When it starts to boil, it'll push
> the cork out. ;-)
>
> Brian

William

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message .com>...
> Everything seemed to be going OK at work today but then a major catastrophe
> occurred. I was opening a bottle of Chardonnay at lunch and the corkscrew
> broke! I have a couple of them at home, but only one at work. A few
> minutes of jiggling with Channel-lock pliers saved the day.
>
> From now on I'm keeping a spare in my desk.

I had a similar experience.

While piloting the Exxon Valdez, the lever corkscrew broke with the
screw staying in the cork. Always prepared for any and every
emergency, I pulled the Swiss Army Knife (SAK) out of my pocket and
ran its corkscrew right on top of the broken one. With some effort I
was able to extract the cork. After enjoying that bottle, it was time
for the second. I twisted the cork off my SAK and found that the
broken screw was jammed inside the SAK screw. Always prepared for any
and every emergency, I pulled the Leatherman from its belt pouch and
using the pliers, unscrewed the broken screw out of my SAK corkscrew.
And then enjoyed another and another.

The rest is history.
Rob

I have been in a case where no one had a corkscrew, so the machineist
went back to the shop, brought out a relatively small diameter, coarse
threaded wood bolt, drove it into the cork with a ratchet, then
grabbed the hex of the bolt with a pair of vice grips.

Worked so well, I almost wondered who would buy one of those rabbit
corkscrew thingys.

Rob