Jethro

Default Strawberry Wine

Just got some frsh strawberrys today. Plan on starting a batch tonight. I
am going to shoot for a .6 TA before fermentation. Should I also adjust the
TA after fermentation?

I have a TA kit that is a titration type. I plan to use a large white
ceramic tile to check for color change. What should I look for in a color
change to know when I am done?

Ray

"Jethro" > wrote in message
> Just got some frsh strawberrys today. Plan on starting a batch tonight.

> am going to shoot for a .6 TA before fermentation. Should I also adjust

the
> TA after fermentation?

Other suggestions will probably differ but I suggest you use the TA kit to
adjust acidity of the must and then use taste to adjust it after
fermentation. Taste is one of the best ways of doing it but you cannot use
taste when the sugar is still in it.

> I have a TA kit that is a titration type. I plan to use a large white
> ceramic tile to check for color change. What should I look for in a color
> change to know when I am done?

I just follow the instructions and do it on a white counter top.

Ray

Jethro

How did this post get up here. I am going to repost as a new post.

"Ray" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jethro" > wrote in message
> > Just got some frsh strawberrys today. Plan on starting a batch tonight.

> > am going to shoot for a .6 TA before fermentation. Should I also adjust

> the
> > TA after fermentation?
> >

> Other suggestions will probably differ but I suggest you use the TA kit to
> adjust acidity of the must and then use taste to adjust it after
> fermentation. Taste is one of the best ways of doing it but you cannot

use
> taste when the sugar is still in it.
>
> > I have a TA kit that is a titration type. I plan to use a large white
> > ceramic tile to check for color change. What should I look for in a

color
> > change to know when I am done?
> >

> I just follow the instructions and do it on a white counter top.
>
> Ray

Ray

My post got there because I was trying to answer your questions. I
apologise if you did not want the answer.
;o\
Ray

"Jethro" > wrote in message
> How did this post get up here. I am going to repost as a new post.
>

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Jethro" > wrote in message
> > > Just got some frsh strawberrys today. Plan on starting a batch

tonight.
> > > am going to shoot for a .6 TA before fermentation. Should I also

adjust
> > the
> > > TA after fermentation?
> > >

> > Other suggestions will probably differ but I suggest you use the TA kit

> > adjust acidity of the must and then use taste to adjust it after
> > fermentation. Taste is one of the best ways of doing it but you cannot

> use
> > taste when the sugar is still in it.
> >
> > > I have a TA kit that is a titration type. I plan to use a large white
> > > ceramic tile to check for color change. What should I look for in a

> color
> > > change to know when I am done?
> > >

> > I just follow the instructions and do it on a white counter top.
> >
> > Ray

Jethro

No, I ment to start a new post. Your answer is what I was looking for, I
just wanted to make sure I did not get missed by everyone else. I still
can't figure out the titration kit, the instructions sre not very clear.. I
have been told to watch for the slightest change in clolor change and also
have been told to watch for the color change and then wait until it changes
back. Well those two instruction are very different. Nobody seems to know
the real answer. I am begining to think I will adjust for acid by taste
after fermentation.

> My post got there because I was trying to answer your questions. I
> apologise if you did not want the answer.

Ben Rotter

> can't figure out the titration kit, the instructions sre not very clear.. I
> have been told to watch for the slightest change in clolor change and also
> have been told to watch for the color change and then wait until it changes
> back. Well those two instruction are very different.

What is the indicator in the titration kit? Most likely it is
phenolphthalein, in which case the solution you are titrating should
stay the same colour (make sure you are mixing the titrant in well)
remain a darker colour when you reach the end point.

Keep in mind that determining the end point in reds on a colour change
basis is very difficult. Many people dilute the sample and/or use a
torch to help.

BTW, adjusting TA before fermentation is usually preferable to
adjusting afterwards.

Ben
Ray

Go slowly on the titration. The gray and green colors are caused by natural
indicators that are in the red grape juice. Just think of the gray and
green as indicating that you are getting close. Then watch for the color
change for the phenolphthalein.

It would be a good idea to at least be in the ball park at the beginning so
you do not have to do very much adjustment at the end. After fermentation
the pH becomes very important so you can have the right sulfite, and that is
not obtained from titration or taste.

Ray

"Jethro" > wrote in message
> No, I ment to start a new post. Your answer is what I was looking for, I
> just wanted to make sure I did not get missed by everyone else. I still
> can't figure out the titration kit, the instructions sre not very clear..

> have been told to watch for the slightest change in clolor change and also
> have been told to watch for the color change and then wait until it

changes
> back. Well those two instruction are very different. Nobody seems to

know
> the real answer. I am begining to think I will adjust for acid by taste
> after fermentation.
>

> > My post got there because I was trying to answer your questions. I
> > apologise if you did not want the answer.

Strawberry Wine ? rookiewinemaker Winemaking 8 01-07-2006 11:27 AM
Strawberry Wine David J. Winemaking 8 15-05-2005 01:58 PM
Strawberry wine J Dixon Winemaking 8 29-06-2004 12:31 AM
Strawberry Ice Wine Martin Olesen Winemaking 0 22-06-2004 08:58 AM
Strawberry Wine Joe Winemaking 5 02-04-2004 03:43 PM