Jack

Default LOW ALCOHOL WINES

Hi
Does anybody know anything about -LOW ALCOHOL WINES that seems to
be the current craze?

Are they "natural", or are they just a blend of Grape juice and wine?

Are they full of preservatives?

Can one get UnPasturised Light Wine?

Happy sipping

Alastair Thomson

Sutter Home (I think) makes a de-alcoholized wine (Fre) that is not too
bad. They evaporate off the very light fractions of aroma and highly
volatile components, and condense to add back later.

then they do some clever thin film stuff to evaporate off the alochol
without heating the wine too much, add back the condensed volatiles and add
grape juice for more fruit character.

They're not too vile - my wife has a gene that makes her taste alcohol as
extremely bitter (one in about a 500,000 apparently), so she drinks it
while I drink my homemade wine.

Alastair

On 2004-03-22 08:59:53 -0500, "Jack" > said:

> Hi
> Does anybody know anything about -LOW ALCOHOL WINES that seems to
> be the current craze?
>
> Are they "natural", or are they just a blend of Grape juice and wine?
>
> Are they full of preservatives?
>
> Can one get UnPasturised Light Wine?
>
> Happy sipping

The Mad Kiwi Winemaker